HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

bonanzastatic

The so-called 7~7 was a popular drink in that era and still going in the 1960s.
The advert above apparently dates from 1981, so its popularity lasted even longer. That appears to be an original Sony TPS-L2 Walkman in the background.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The Hilton Hotel was one of the names that The Breakers Hotel at 210 E Ocean Boulevard has gone by over the years.
Thanks Hoss. I remember discussing the Long Beach Hilton (on NLA) but the entrance looks quite different in the war-time photograph. I didn't recognize it.

Here's a snapshot, taken on June 18, 1944, of "Virg & Chas with the Hilton Hotel in the background.

eBay

reverse

Let's take a closer look at the Tracy Theater (& Virginia and Charles)

The outline of the Tracy Theater sign looks like a capital dome . .does anyone know what the significance might be?

It appears Charles and Virginia are having a good time.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2020 at 10:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2020, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

The outline of the Tracy Theater sign looks like a capital dome . .does anyone know what the significance might be?
From cinematreasures.org

"Opened as the Ritz Theatre in 1925, but the name was soon changed to Capitol Theatre by 1927 when it was operated by the L. Lou Bard chain Far West Theatres Inc. It was badly damaged by an earthquake on March 10, 1933 and it was remodeled to the plans of architect H. Alfred Anderson. By 1938 it had been renamed Tracy Theatre. It was still open in 1956, but had closed by 1957. It was demolished in late-March 1974."

cinematreasures.org

BTW. Cinema Treasures already has the picture of Virg & Chas.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 4:26 PM

Thanks for the information, Hoss.

I could be mistaken but I believe the 'Derby Club' might have been located in the old Brown Derby on the corner of Los Feliz and Havenhurst.

If it is the Los Feliz Brown Derby it's the first time that I've seen the interior. (the interior, circa 1980)

eBay (from a few weeks ago)

Love the rafters,...Everything else, not so much.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:14 PM

You are correct, e_r (although I think you mean Hillhurst and not Havenhurst), the letterhead above the photo gives the address as 4500 Los Feliz Boulevard. The logo on the letterhead is for The Derby nightclub which was open between 1993 and 2009.

It's now a Chase Bank, but since the building has been a Historic Cultural Monument of the City of Los Angeles since 2006, they have preserved the arched ceiling.

www.yelp.com/Michael L

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Let's take a closer look at the Tracy Theater (& Virginia and Charles)

I see the theatre was more interested in advertising "Open All Night" than what was playing there! Of course, a lot of theatres in wartime stayed open all night because sleeping locations
were at a premium for the influx of military people that poured into Los Angeles and environs. So for the price of a movie ticket you could have a place to doze off for a few hours.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 8:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:

You are correct, e_r (although I think you mean Hillhurst and not Havenhurst), the letterhead above the photo gives the address as 4500 Los Feliz Boulevard. The logo on the letterhead is for The Derby nightclub which was open between 1993 and 2009.

It's now a Chase Bank, but since the building has been a Historic Cultural Monument of the City of Los Angeles since 2006, they have preserved the arched ceiling.

www.yelp.com/Michael L
Chase Bank has no loyalty to their locations. Its a Chase Bank now but could be tossed aside by Chase at any moment in favor of some shoe repair shop.

My city is littered with former Chase Bank locations.

The Asst Mgr of a local Chase messed with my Debit Card Pin. I called him an ''idiot'' to his face the last time I was there. He just laughed.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 9:24 PM

A rehash but an interesting rehash.
Quote:

Yes, Hoss, I meant Hillhurst....I appreciate the correction.

As most of you remember from past posts - the Los Feliz Brown Derby was originally the second location of Willard's Fried Chicken Inn.

"The location on Los Feliz Boulevard at Hillhurst Avenue above Hollywood near the Greek Theater started off life in 1929 as Willard’s Chicken Inn, home of the “Far-Famed Chicken.” The dome was designed to have water piped up to the top where it would run down the exterior like a fountain. The design also served as an early form of air conditioning. Willard’s closed down in 1940 and the restaurant was renovated to become a Brown Derby. Added on to the original restaurant were a Car Cafe, and on the Hillhurst side, a Brown Derby Liquor Store."....deadletterfile

Looking East (I think)

So the roof was a fountain!?

And here's the same building as a Brown Derby. (Los Feliz & Hillhurst)

I've gone through most, if not all, of the past posts and I didn't see the following two photographs on NLA.

pinterest / via hollywoodphotographs

hmmm. . .if you look closely the roof does look like a cascading fountain.......

ipinimg

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 10:01 PM

Is now a good time to throw this mystery photograph in the mix?

eBay (found a few weeks ago)

Would anyone like to wager a guess as to the location because I am completely stumped.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 29, 2020 at 10:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 10:36 PM

This is the Brown Derby Cottages, Inc, Evansville, Indiana, circa 1935. By the flood of 1937, it looked quite different.

www.worthpoint.com

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the information, Hoss.

I could be mistaken but I believe the 'Derby Club' might have been located in the old Brown Derby on the corner of Los Feliz and Havenhurst.

If it is the Los Feliz Brown Derby it's the first time that I've seen the interior. (the interior, circa 1980)

eBay (from a few weeks ago)

Love the rafters,...Everything else, not so much.

Nice to see a photo of the Derby! I used to frequent the place back in the '90s.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 11:22 PM

Scott Charles, when you frequented was it ever called Michael's?

"In 1960, the property was purchased by actor Michael St. Angel and became Michaels of Los Feliz until 1992."

deadletterfile

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 30, 2020 at 12:01 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 5:18 AM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;9058333]A rehash but an interesting rehash.

Yes, Hoss, I meant Hillhurst....I appreciate the correction.

As most of you remember from past posts - the Los Feliz Brown Derby was originally the second location of Willard's Fried Chicken Inn.

"The location on Los Feliz Boulevard at Hillhurst Avenue above Hollywood near the Greek Theater started off life in 1929 as Willard’s Chicken Inn, home of the “Far-Famed Chicken.” The dome was designed to have water piped up to the top where it would run down the exterior like a fountain. The design also served as an early form of air conditioning. Willard’s closed down in 1940 and the restaurant was renovated to become a Brown Derby. Added on to the original restaurant were a Car Cafe, and on the Hillhurst side, a Brown Derby Liquor Store."....deadletterfile

Looking East (I think)

Why don't they make cars like that anymore? I'd pay for one like that with a modern engine etc., but with that '20s look. I think a lot of people would. It is the '20s again. You can go back again. I want to dance the Charleston with some cute flappers. I want to wear a raccoon coat. I want to see Babe hit a moonshot. Well, at least I want the car and maybe a modern flapper. Swell.

Last edited by CaliNative; Sep 30, 2020 at 5:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 11:33 PM

Los Angeles mystery location captured on 16 mm family film.

I happened up this short clip (2 minutes) in, of all places, the Chicago Film Archives.

chicagofilmarchives

The film starts with a tortoise crossing a road and then gradually becomes more interesting. (thank God)

This interesting sequence begins at 1:36

Link

Of course I was immediately interested in the little neighborhood gas station
and shoe repair shop.

Using nothing more than the street number 10607 (it's above the store of the station)
I believe I might have miraculously found the location of the old gas station. (parts of the gas station might still be there!)

Before I show my results I thought you might like to try and find the location for yourself
& earn points towards your NLA sleuthing certification.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 30, 2020 at 11:44 PM.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 11:37 PM

Regarding the Los Feliz Brown Derby building and the facade with the "Car Cafe" sign above it: this was supposedly used for the establishing shot for "Arnold's Diner" in Happy Days TV show, but not necessarily in all the the show's seasons.

Can't remember the source anymore, but it was a LA/Hollywood history book of some kind that I've read about 20 years ago.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:17 AM

Quote:

Scott Charles, when you frequented was it ever called Michael's?

"In 1960, the property was purchased by actor Michael St. Angel and became Michaels of Los Feliz until 1992."

deadletterfile

No, only “The Derby” (and no “Brown”, either) when I was going there, e_r. Never heard of it as “Michael's”.

The earliest I ever went there was 1993.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 6:33 PM

mystery location.

I just checked all the past posts that mention elephants & I didn't see the following photographs.

This group of four photographs were on eBay several months ago. .

. . .and show an Elk's Club that, if I remember correctly, the seller said was located in the Los Angeles area.

eBay

Let's take a closer look at the shenanigans going on at the top of the stairs.

eBay

The young boys in the crowd are also wearing interesting hats. I see a couple of beanies and the smallest boy is wearing, what looks like, a Tyrolean hat with a feather.
Sidenote:...I wore a hat like that when I was a kid to hide my big ears.....(luckily my head eventually caught up with my ears and I'm considered normal now)

eBay

Were the elephants inside the building!?...

eBay

In this last view you can see a five-globe standard Llewellyn streetlight. . .

eBay

. . .and if you look closely there are a couple of signs in the distance.

detail

possible clues?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 1, 2020 at 7:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 8:21 PM

e_r, on some of the gents' trunks (not the elephants' trunks!) can be discerned an "888." That (at least at present) is the number of the Elks lodge of nearby Bellflower; but not so long ago 888 was in Long Beach with a lodge structure which was very familiar to me (located on a street commonly used by my family); the building alas no longer exists:

flickr

Where the building in the elephants photos was, I don't (yet) know . . .

UPDATE: LOL, I should have recognized it. It's the old Long Beach Elks lodge near the corner of Ocean and Cedar in Long Beach. I have it on my site:

odinthor collection

Last edited by odinthor; Oct 1, 2020 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:19 PM

7&7 was popular with older teenagers in New York in the mid-1960s. We used to order it all the time at bars.

PS: Have lurked forever. Have some free time so am joining in.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 9:23 PM

Charles sports an Army Aircraft Command patch on his left sleeve. He appears to have been some sort of Tech Sergeant. Has a slight gut. Considering his age he may never have gone overseas and may have been stationed at one of the many local installations. My guess.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos