HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 6:55 AM
BANNED

More photos by Benjamin Kabak at 2nd ave sagas.

Read more: http://secondavenuesagas.com/2014/11...ransit-center/

A look inside the new Fulton St. Transit Center

By Benjamin Kabak, November 9, 2014

Quote:
The problem with federal funding is how inflexible it is. The feds may be willing to pony over a significantly amount of dollars — upwards of one billion for certain projects — but that money can’t be shuffled around to better uses. It’s earmarked for a specific project, and the local agency receiving that money has to spend it on the specific project, even if agency heads know how badly they could use that same dollar amount for something far more worthwhile. Such as the contradictions of the Fulton St. Transit Center which will open to the public at 5 a.m.

On Sunday, politicians and MTA officials past and present gathered to celebrate the opening of the Fulton St. Transit Center, and in a way, it was a big deal. Two former MTA heads — Joe Lhota and Lee Sander — were in attendance as well as Mysore Nagaraja, the former head of MTA Capital Construction, who oversaw the start of this project well over a decade ago. Chuck Schumber, Jerry Nadler and Sheldon Silver didn’t miss the photo op either. And finally, the construction surrounding Fulton St. will end, and as tenants fill into 1 World Trade Center, the Fulton St. part of the puzzle is complete.

IMG_2430
by bkabak, on Flickr

IMG_2430
by bkabak, on Flickr/pZVgDe]

[/url]
IMG_2429
by bkabak, on Flickr

Dey St. Concourse
by bkabak, on Flickr

IMG_2410
by bkabak, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 7:34 AM
New Yorker for life

It's opening in about 3 hours. I'll be sure to stop in tomorrow (today), I've waited a long time to get into this beauty.

Some recent photos...(Nov 4)

New York City, you've done well here...

More from Gothamist...

http://gothamist.com/2014/11/09/phot...ng.php#photo-1

And look, an actual, live token booth clerk!

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:29 PM
New Yorker for life

Video Link

http://www.breakingnews.ie/world/new...ry-650411.html

New York opens 'train station of the 21st century'

November 10, 2014

Quote:
New York’s biggest underground terminus has opened in lower Manhattan – a vital link between the new World Trade Centre and the rest of the city.

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority inaugurated the $1.4bn (€1.1bn) Fulton Centre, a space-age complex where nine tube lines converge.

“Welcome to the station of the 21st century,” said engineer Michael Horodniceanu, who led the project as president of the MTA’s Capital Construction.

The hub, which merges century-old stations with the latest digital technology and design, will open to the public this morning, when hundreds of thousands will enter what officials called Lower Manhattan’s “next great public space”.

Its soaring street-level atrium is encased in a glass-and-steel shell, with luminous interior panels leading to a skylight designers call the “oculus” - Latin for eye.

Livening up the climate-controlled, energy-saving spaces are various avant-garde artworks.

....just feet from the revitalised trade centre, the complex is part of a “new hot area”, said Senator Charles Schumer.

“It shows you how New York City can always reinvent itself and get better,” he said, remembering the gloomy maze of the old Fulton Street stop where “you would have to rush through those narrow corridors weaving through passengers; everyone is going in every direction, where you could knock someone over or they’d knock you over”.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:53 PM

Looks very nice! I'll have to go check it out in person soon.

I noticed there are three dark line circles. I assume that's because connectivity through the PATH terminal isn't completely yet? Those will be for the E, N and 1 trains correct? Does the Dey St connector dead-end at a false wall where the PATH Hall is currently?

I'm also interested to see the first person who tries to outrun the 2/3 from Fulton Street to Park Place. It's a long run but the sharp turn between the two stations slows the trains down a little bit.

Last edited by drumz0rz; Nov 10, 2014 at 5:04 PM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 5:47 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Looks very nice! I'll have to go check it out in person soon.

I noticed there are three dark line circles. I assume that's because connectivity through the PATH terminal isn't completely yet? Those will be for the E, N and 1 trains correct? Does the Dey St connector dead-end at a false wall where the PATH Hall is currently?

I'm also interested to see the first person who tries to outrun the 2/3 from Fulton Street to Park Place. It's a long run but the sharp turn between the two stations slows the trains down a little bit.
Try outrunning the 2/3 from Chambers to Park Place, those two stations are virtually the same, with different orientations.

About the other connections, with the Dey Street connector, it's possibly the 1, E, and PATH.

Anyway, it's worth visiting in person. I'll make some brief observations:

- The design is very underrated, especially compared to Calatrava's PATH terminal

- Only the building is open, none of the stores, bars will open this year

- It's still a beautiful site to behold

- I was surprised by the number of people there today

- I had expected people to continue with regular routines a little longer

- But New Yorkers were eagerly eating the place up

- Downtown needed this,(I think the whole city did)

- It's perfect for people watching

- Especially if you love the complex nature and pace of urban life

- The upper level was closed off

- It will be featured in movies and television shows (wonder who or what will be first?)

- Also wonder if they will do any holiday decorations

- When things begin to open inside, it will be the perfect place to meet after work

- It will be connected to both the PATH terminal, and Brookfield Place, both destinations of their own

- I think New York has been spoiled with this one, so close to the new PATH concourse

- Everyone should go see it

- I didn't explore the entire center, just took it in a little

And finally, some clips and photos taken opening day (the evening)

Video Link

I'll move these photos to a new thread, as this one is wrapped up, but excuse me while I indulge in people watching at the beautiful, new hub....

No bands playing today, so once more, with music...

Video Link

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2014 at 6:14 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:25 PM

Yikes, this place is absolutely loaded! Looking good!

Although I have some concern about the number of posts everywhere. Hopefully that isn't a huge problem. And also the look of the outside facade during the day, we talked about the issue of it looking like a black iron fence.

The billboards all look good. Certainly looks futuristic, 21st Century. $1.4 billion well spent! Someone should take pictures during the day.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2014, 7:56 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onn View Post
The billboards all look good. Certainly looks futuristic, 21st Century. $1.4 billion well spent! Someone should take pictures during the day.
The earlier photos were taken during the day. I agree that it is money well spent. I also think it's the signature piece of the entire subway system (at least at this point).

This thread will be moving to completed projects archive, so I've created a new one below for all future posts...

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=214183

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive