HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

535 Mission in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 8, 2008, 5:35 AM
Only Mostly Dead

I walked over and chatted-up the attendants in the parking lot. Unfortunately, they knew even less than I did about the timing. So at the very least we know that it isn't starting soon enough for USParking to tell their employees about it.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 6:07 AM

Still no new news on this one? I really hope it gets built!

Old Posted Apr 28, 2008, 5:27 PM
Only Mostly Dead

At least once a week I look around for a demo/construction permit notice to be posted. Nothing yet.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted May 25, 2008, 4:44 AM

I suppose that since this one shows no sign of progress that it will break ground this summer?

Old Posted May 26, 2008, 4:25 AM

Count me as another who might prefer the original design. I'm new to imagining how a rendering might look as an actual building, but it seems to me that the residential design was more appropriate for the modest footprint and that that new design is trying to do too much with too little space.

Here are two shots from above that give some additional perspective as to the footprint. The rendering suggests that the parking garage on the left (with the park-like roof) is staying, as is the alley next to the little brick building on the right (which contains Salt House, a tasty restaurant). That's not a lot of space, particularly when compared to its two major neighbors, including 555 Mission.

Last edited by JAC6; May 26, 2008 at 4:51 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 2:48 AM

i personally love the rendering, and cant wait for work to get started on this. it also reminds me that i havent been to salt house yet.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 3:29 AM
BANNED

It's a small footprint, but I can't see what that has to do with whether or not you prefer the glassy, green and radical new design or the trite, conventional old one.

PS--The parking garage with the park on the roof is definitely staying. The new building will be built only on what is now a surface parking lot. Even the alley next to the Salt House is not part of the project, I don't believe.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 3:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTinSF View Post
It's a small footprint, but I can't see what that has to do with whether or not you prefer the glassy, green and radical new design or the trite, conventional old one.

PS--The parking garage with the park on the roof is definitely staying. The new building will be built only on what is now a surface parking lot. Even the alley next to the Salt House is not part of the project, I don't believe.
Putting aside the choice of adjectives, the new rendering looks to have some design ambition whereas the old design has more modest ambitions. Putting a glass tower with a rakish angular design next to a much larger green box might make those ambitions look just a bit too ambitious. My thought is that it gets dwarfed by 555, which has a much larger footprint and will be significantly taller.

But, again, my experience projecting renderings to reality is limited.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 7:26 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Personally, I like the new design and think the tight footprint and shorter stature make it even more important to stand out. Plus, it will take attention away from 100 First, which is always a good thing.

Andrew - you can also now try Salt House's seafood counterpart in the back of the alley. I haven't yet, but the same folks are behind it so I imagine it's pretty good.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 8:23 AM

It has been suggested in this thread that the design has changed again. That will be interesting, if true. I hope the next rendering includes 555 so there's some sense of scale and context.

I hadn't heard about this new restaurant. What's it called?

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:48 AM
Only Mostly Dead

It's called Anchor & Hope (I couldn't remember and had to check).

On the design, I thought we were comparing this (old):

With this (new):

Is there something newer out there I haven't seen or heard about?

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 3:58 AM
Green Berniecrat

Just for the sake of self exploring, here is the site again at street level. The garage and the alley on the right stay and the parking lot site serves as the foundation for the tower.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 4:39 AM

Too bad there are still no closure notices on the parking lot or anything, hope this one happens

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 5:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC6 View Post
Putting aside the choice of adjectives, the new rendering looks to have some design ambition whereas the old design has more modest ambitions. Putting a glass tower with a rakish angular design next to a much larger green box might make those ambitions look just a bit too ambitious. My thought is that it gets dwarfed by 555, which has a much larger footprint and will be significantly taller..
The small rakish angular LVMH glass tower in New York is across 57th. Street from the much larger IBM green box, but it stands out:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gundust/300001390/

Such contrasts make for interesting streetscapes.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 7:53 AM

As to a new rendering, I was referring to Comment No. 68.

I'll have to try the new restaurant.

I would be delighted to be wrong about being overwhelmed by the mass of 555, which I almost surely am. But I'd also love to see whatever the most current rendering is in the context of the block as it currently stands, with 555.

Whatever it is and assuming it moves forward, I'll get to see it go up from above.

Old Posted May 30, 2008, 9:54 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I completely forgot about fflint's tease. Now I'm all excited about it again. And about your view, JAC, you know we'll expect lots of great updates from you!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 9:14 PM
North Beach

At last...

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 10:09 PM

^

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 10:36 PM

Awewsome! Go SF!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 10:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downtown Dave View Post
At last...
Whoa! Someone here is now famous.

Quote:
From a plugged-in reader:

I was reading the forum over at skyscraperpage.com and it seems that 535 Mission is preparing to break ground. The parking lot is now closed and a few workers were on site. Can anyone confirm? Photo is courtesey of Downtown Dave at Skyscraperpage.com....
Source: http://www.socketsite.com/

As to the mass and it's relationship to 555, the rendering shows this building taller than the corner building and it looks to me like there will be a stairstep effect up to 555, then down again to 101 Second. I don't think it will be unpleasant.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive