HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 9:36 PM

New Arizona Development Bans Residents From Bringing Cars

Quote:
By Laura Kusisto
Updated Nov. 19, 2019 1:01 pm ET

A $140 million Arizona development is banning residents from bringing their own cars in favor of scooters, bikes and ride-sharing, testing demand for a new type of walkable neighborhood.

The 1,000-person rental community, which broke ground this month in Tempe, won’t allow residents to park cars on site or in the surrounding area as a term of their leases. The founders say it will be the first of its kind in the U.S.

The neighborhood’s scale will be modest, with mostly three-story buildings. In place of parking spaces, the development known as Culdesac Tempe will feature significantly more retail and open spaces than are typical for its size. It will include a market hall for food vendors, coffee shop, plazas, communal fire pits and a building that residents can rent to host events.

The site is next to a light rail that connects residents to a grocery store, Arizona State University, downtown Phoenix and the airport. There will also be designated spots for ride-sharing and an on-site car-sharing service for residents traveling to other neighborhoods . . . .
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-ari...=hp_lead_pos12

Is this Transit-Oriented Development done right?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 9:49 PM

^^^
I would have to see the whole plan of this TOD to form an opinion of this being TOD done right.

I couldn't read the WSJ article (no subscription), so I found another source: https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ng/4191470002/

It looks like it's not going to be completely parking-free, as there will be parking for residents' guests as well as for the retail spaces. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:11 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Tempe sounds about right for AZ. Almost did a semester out there for grad school for my internship. Almost wished I did.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
https://www.wsj.com/articles/new-ari...=hp_lead_pos12

Is this Transit-Oriented Development done right?
This article is just nonsnese

This is simply a mixed use development in a place that is already quite dense and has transit and lots of people without cars biking and walking in the local area Plenty of people in the north end of Tempe near ASU dont have cars and dont need cars.

This article makes it sound like some far flung exurb is banning cars and its not it s a glorified apartment complex with retail.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Tempe sounds about right for AZ. Almost did a semester out there for grad school for my internship. Almost wished I did.
I cant say it isnt a fun time The weather is good the girls are ...fun...

oh yeah and the the school was alright too.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
^^^

It looks like it's not going to be completely parking-free, as there will be parking for residents' guests as well as for the retail spaces. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.
Its very misleading, imagine if every urban development in NYC with no parking was called "PARKING IS BANNED"

Well... its not banned it just doesn't have parking.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 7:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obadno View Post
Its very misleading, imagine if every urban development in NYC with no parking was called "PARKING IS BANNED"

Well... its not banned it just doesn't have parking.
There is a difference. "No parking" means no off-street parking. In most places you can still own a car while living there and park on the street somewhere nearby if you can find a space. Not in this development. You have to foreswear having a car not only on its streets--this is not a single building but a grid of buildings with streets--but those nearby.

But the biggest difference may be that space that might otherwise be devoted to parking cars is not used, as in developments that just don't offer on-site parking, for more housing units but for the sort of amenities one finds in vibrant urban neighborhoods (but not typically in suburban developments): retail, parks and so on.

The analogy in New York, or any city, would be if you marked off a multiblock section of town and banned cars within it. A few cities have developed carless single streets--I've been to the one in Vancouver and San Francisco is about to do something similar on Market St. But not multi-street neighborhoods.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 2:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I lived in Tempe in the mid 2000s. Great place!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2019, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
There is a difference. "No parking" means no off-street parking. In most places you can still own a car while living there and park on the street somewhere nearby if you can find a space. Not in this development. You have to foreswear having a car not only on its streets--this is not a single building but a grid of buildings with streets--but those nearby.

But the biggest difference may be that space that might otherwise be devoted to parking cars is not used, as in developments that just don't offer on-site parking, for more housing units but for the sort of amenities one finds in vibrant urban neighborhoods (but not typically in suburban developments): retail, parks and so on.

The analogy in New York, or any city, would be if you marked off a multiblock section of town and banned cars within it. A few cities have developed carless single streets--I've been to the one in Vancouver and San Francisco is about to do something similar on Market St. But not multi-street neighborhoods.
It might be a grid but it is not a big area like I said a glorified apartment building. They are completely exaggerating how "big" of a neighborhood this will be.

People living in this complex will park on neighborhood streets beyond its borders and local businesses will probably jump at the opportunity to sell parking spaces to its residents.

This is not like a European old town its a couple of apartment buildings with walkways/pedestrian mall between never more than a small block from parking and roadways.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions