HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

The house is still standing at 1024 Summit Drive, Beverly Hills, but a 2016 article at la.curbed.com says "A prior listing from when the house last sold shows the shell of the original house pretty much intact, but the interior has been rendered nearly unrecognizable." Here's a selection of the 30 images that accompany the article. First, the remodeled entrance, complete with lions.

It looks like the green zig-zags are grass - the owners must be forever getting the feet of their chairs stuck in them.

I can't see the spiral staircase in any of the recent photos. Maybe this is its replacement.

All from la.curbed.com/John Aaroe Group
Nothing like a pair of lions to class up a joint! I think they would have gone better with the original decor. It's a shame they replaced the spiral staircase with that steel and glass stair (it's so boring by comparison), and it looks like they did some major work outside, as well (adding that whole raised patio area with the pool, and that whole extra addition on the back right). I like the zig zag grass, but you bring up a good point about chair legs (sled base chairs would be a better solution).

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:00 PM

This may be a mystery Julius Shulman location. It's "Job 2142: Thornton Ladd, Store Building (Pasadena, Calif.), 1956".

The display cases projected into the sidewalk. I posted Julius Shulman pictures of the Ciro of Bond Street store at 9620 Wilshire Boulevard in post# 39000.

Here's a look at the unusual open area between the sidewalk and the store entrances. Did everyone spot the lady on the bench in the background?

Looking out from "The Joyce Shoe Box" (that's what it says on the window).

Those hanging lights look interesting.

The final shot shows the inside of Joyce Shoes.

All from Getty Research Institute

Although I found passing references to the other businesses existing in Pasadena, the only one to yield an address was Taffy's at 519 South Lake Avenue. I checked out that location, and can't match any buildings. I'm not sure that the buildings on Historic Aerials are a match either, so have I got the right place? There's a note in the summary which says "Possibly also known as Birnkrant Building", but Googling that didn't throw up anything useful.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:40 PM

Buena Vista !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingwedge View Post
Hey thanks, very that's interesting! Here's the 1930 photo you mentioned, the caption for which refers to the home as
412 Justicia. That same home was at various times also called 42 Buena Vista, 352 Buena Vista, and 412 Buena Vista:

I like the glimpse on the Baker Block. And "Buena Vista" means "good view" in Spanish. Sure they had one.

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Jul 1, 2017 at 7:14 AM.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Although I found passing references to the other businesses existing in Pasadena, the only one to yield an address was Taffy's at 519 South Lake Avenue. I checked out that location, and can't match any buildings. I'm not sure that the buildings on Historic Aerials are a match either, so have I got the right place? There's a note in the summary which says "Possibly also known as Birnkrant Building", but Googling that didn't throw up anything useful.
My guess is that the buildings that exist today at that location are the same buildings in the Shulman photos, they just have been massively remodeled, and the surface parking lot in the older photo has since been built upon.

I know that block because of Continental Burger, a restaurant that I thought was highly overrated, with rude servers. I was happy when I found out in 2015 that they would be closing after 45 years in business. I was like, "Bye!!"

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
My guess is that the buildings that exist today at that location are the same buildings in the Shulman photos, they just have been massively remodeled, and the surface parking lot in the older photo has since been built upon.

I know that block because of Continental Burger, a restaurant that I thought was highly overrated, with rude servers. I was happy when I found out in 2015 that they would be closing after 45 years in business. I was like, "Bye!!"
The current building looks too small to be the one in HossC's post, even heavily remodeled - my guess is it was torn down. But I did find a blurb for The Joyce Shoe Box that lists an address in 1956 at 521 S Lake (below), which would put it just to the left of that address for Taffy's, so it seems like the right spot. The planting areas cut into the sidewalk also look like they might be remnants of the ones in the Shulman photos.

https://newspaperarchive.com/star-news-sep-04-1956-p-8/

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 11:32 PM

Quote:
This may be a mystery Julius Shulman location. It's "Job 2142: Thornton Ladd, Store Building (Pasadena, Calif.), 1956".

All things considered, not a terrible remodel (compared to The Darkroom and a few others I can think of). It captures a lot more interior square footage than the original layout. The Ciro's bit is now red brick:

gsv

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2
Look into the Cahuenga Valley Lemon Exchange, which was at the SE corner of Santa Monica and Cole.
It was very important to the history of this area. Hollywood owes much to the lemon (which fared better than oranges in the area).
Has a photograph of the Cahuenga Valley Lemon Exchange been posted on NLA?

If not, here it is.

http://www.citrusroots.com/oldsite/l...inghouses.html

I found it at Citrus Roots, but the photo originated from the USC Digital Archives.

USC's description has the date of the photograph as 1910 (eight years later than citrus roots)

"Cahuenga Valley Lemon Exchange Building on Santa Monica Boulevard at Cahuenga Avenue, Hollywood, California, 1910."

USC also mentions the large lightning rod attached to the building above the loading area. (I thought it was a flagpole)
__

At the top of the post T2 mentioned Santa Monica and Cole. If I'm not mistaken Cole and Cahuenga are the same street, right?
__

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:10 AM

Just for fun, I thought I'd post this vacation snapshot to show you what traffic looked like at LAX in 1964.

old e_r file

There wasn't any!!

(and it appears to be around noon) -per the shadows.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:37 AM

I posted this back in January of this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
That reminds me, I have a great photograph of silent film star Bebe Daniels at the airport. I'll see if I can find it and post it before I turn in.

Well, it took me 7 months but I finally found the photograph.

old e_r file

And t2 asked this. (also in January)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

Where's Bebe? Is the photo from the Grand Opening? I don't think I've never seen any of those

grand central air terminal
t2, there's a good possibility the photograph is from the 'Grand Opening',but without a date I can't say for sure.

What do you think?
__

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
That's a lovely shot including some of the now vanished homes on Emerald.

google maps

...and in current news:
Welton Becket's Parker Center fails to achieve landmark status:
http://www.dailynews.com/government-...andmark-status

Hans Gutknecht, Los Angeles Daily News

The first picture shows the entrance to the Subway and the building to the right is the Pacific Electric substation.

Paul C. Koehler

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

At the top of the post T2 mentioned Santa Monica and Cole. If I'm not mistaken Cole and Cahuenga are the same street, right?
__
Nah, Cahuenga runs parallel to Cole one street east. And USC is right, the Cahuenga Valley Lemon Exchange was on the SE corner of Santa Monica and Cahuenga, only then it was called Townsend Ave (the Cahuenga street name was extended south sometime between 1914 and 1921). The 6-story storage building, which is now on the Exchange site, went in in 1922 and was extended in '24:

baist 1914, plate 39

I'm sure I've seen an earlier image of the Exchange when it was an open shed.

That's a great picture of Bebe Daniels and Ben Lyon. They look so happy and carefree. "Life with the Lyons" was a popular show on radio and TV in the UK (1940-1949).

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 1, 2017 at 8:07 PM.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:00 PM

Thanks to sopas ej, DViator and tovangar2 for the follow-ups on the Pasadena stores. It looks like I had the right place all along!

--------------

Before today's Julius Shulman post, an excerpt from one I made last year. The full post is here.

Quote:

Today's Julius Shulman post is "Job 168: Sears, Roebuck and Company (Compton, Calif.), 1948".

The Garden Shop.

Getty Research Institute
I've just found the photoset showing the inside of the garden shop. This is "Job 316: Stiles Oliver Clements, Sears, Roebuck and Company, Garden Shop (Compton, Calif.), 1948".

A look along the outside.

Glazed pottery with the cash register in the middle.

The final shot shows lawn mowers and sacks of plant food.

Last year, I finished my post with this:

Quote:

The building, or at least most of it, is still standing near Orchard Avenue on N Long Beach Boulevard. The latest GSV images show it boarded up, but I found several articles like this one at mynewsla.com which say that a Walmart Supercenter will be opening in the old Sears site in late 2016.

GSV
The former Sears store did indeed become a Walmart, although it still looks quite bunker-like from the street (there were windows in the Sears days).

GSV

There's nothing left of the garden shop, but when I turned the camera around, I realized I was looking at the subject of another Shulman post. Nearly opposite the garden shop you'd have found this Bekins Storage building (there's a "now" shot in the original post. It's just visible on the left of the picture above.

Quote:

We're back to a single image from Julius Shulman today. It's "Job 285: Stiles Oliver Clements, Bekins (Long Beach, Calif.), 1948".

Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 7:41 PM

more photo info

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

Great photos, gsjansen. I don't remember ever seeing interior shots of the CA State Building, it looks like it was actually gorgeous.

Regarding the train stations, I remember as a teen when I first drove along Alameda Street in the industrial area and became curious about all of the train tracks embedded in the pavement; I had assumed they were leftover from the Pacific Electric streetcars, but I always wondered about the spur tracks that would veer off into solid blocks of buildings. I never thought that train stations and rail yards might've lined Alameda.

This picture that was posted earlier by Beaudry puts it all in perspective:

USC Archive

It makes it obvious that people arriving and leaving on the Southern Pacific Trains through the station on Central Avenue would have ridden up and down Alameda Street, along with auto and truck traffic. I always had it in my mind that these trains traveled in their own right of way to the station, not sharing traffic with other vehicles on a busy street.
The railroad yard in the lower portion of the photo is Pacific Electric's 8th Street yard. The three tall industrial buildings were known as the Merchandise Mart, most recently occupied by American Apparel.

The building inside the wye track on the right was Southern Pacific's commissary, where passenger cars were cleaned and restocked with supplies in between runs.

Central Station is in the upper right.

All gone now, except for the mentioned buildings.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 8:12 PM

Railroad Yards

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
some more wolfskill ranch images

this is the lithograph i had posted earlier showing the general extent of the ranch which was located between Alameda and San Pedro from third street to ninth street

LAPL

i marked up this 1961 aerial showing the extent of the orange groves

Green = extent of wolfskill ranch
Red = Location of Southern pacific terminal (Young's Market Company in the photo)
purple = location of arcade station
yellow = location of the Wolfskill adobe

USC Digital Archives

image looking through the orange grove

Calisphere

1885 image of the wolfskill adobe

image of the demolition of the southern pacific terminal

USC Digital Archives
Washington Street runs east-west through the photo, and south of Washington is the Santa Fe's freight dock, now unused except for occasional filming.

The railroad yard in the bottom of the photo is Southern Pacific's "J" yard. Adjacent to it on the north side is Pacific Electric's Butte Street yard. J Yard was used primarily to sort traffic from the branch to Santa Monica and to interchange with the PE. J Yard still exists, although in a much reduced role, but Butte Street was torn out a number of years ago, and is now where the trench to San Pedro begins to drop below ground level.

Just to the east (right) just out of the photo was Clement Junction. http://www.pacificelectric.org/pacif...unction-tower/

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 11:03 PM

A Tragic Story

I want to recommend a very well written, very L.A. and very noirish magazine piece about Bruce Gardner, a baseball player at Fairfax High School and USC.
I first read this when it was published in the short lived Inside Sports magazine in 1980 and it was quite memorable. I recently came across a link to it and read it again. It is so good that there's no wonder why it left a lasting impression.
I highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in Los Angeles sports or a noirish tale or just a well written tragic but true story.

Link here: http://thestacks.deadspin.com/the-lo...yer-1796164896

Bruce Gardner, probably at Bovard Field at USC

http://www.scjewishsportshof.com/gardner.html

Last edited by Bristolian; Jul 2, 2017 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwtca View Post
The railroad yard in the lower portion of the photo is Pacific Electric's 8th Street yard. The three tall industrial buildings were known as the Merchandise Mart, most recently occupied by American Apparel.

The building inside the wye track on the right was Southern Pacific's commissary, where passenger cars were cleaned and restocked with supplies in between runs.

Central Station is in the upper right.

All gone now, except for the mentioned buildings.
The buildings next to the 8th St yard were built as the Los Angeles Union Terminal - not for passengers but for produce etc. That site was originally used for the Huntington System shops. LARy moved to 54th and ?San Pedro, and those buildings were torn down in the last few years. PE moved its shops to Torrance ca 1917 to clear the site..
The Wye at lower right was the west end of the SP coach yard.. SP Locomotives came from and went to the Alhambra Avenue Roundhouse- we've seen pic of LARy service to that site. When LAUPT was built the coach yard moved to the south side of the Shops site. That yard became a city of Pullman cars when the Shriners came to town ca 1950-ishBefore that was built, including the SP General SHops, the roundhouse was roughly centered in the site now known as Cornfield Park. I need some help here, as there were two yards, end to end there after the roundhouse was moves. I've always assumed tht Cornfield was the westerly one of the pair and the other was The Bullring. Perhaps WigWag or Paul Koehler will affirm or correct

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 5:21 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
I want to recommend a very well written, very L.A. and very noirish magazine piece about Bruce Gardner, a baseball player at Fairfax High School and USC.
I first read this when it was published in the short lived Inside Sports magazine in 1980 and it was quite memorable. I recently came across a link to it and read it again. It is so good that there's no wonder why it left a lasting impression.
I highly recommend it to anyone with any interest in Los Angeles sports or a noirish tale or just a well written tragic but true story.

Link here: http://thestacks.deadspin.com/the-lo...yer-1796164896

Bruce Gardner, probably at Bovard Field at USC

http://www.scjewishsportshof.com/gardner.html
In the childish sick American culture its some sort of sin and defeat if you don't win at everything in life.

So he didn't make to the Big Leagues in baseball....does that make him a failure in life?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 6:58 PM

I was searching NLA this morning and noticed a LOT of photobucket photos missing. From many different posters. Is photobucket up to something again, or is it down today? I've never seen a notice before, either, like the one below as an example.

Quote:

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 7:00 PM

It's a school from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 1265: George Lindsey, Verdugo Woodlands School (Glendale, Calif.), 1952".

A look from the other end. I assume that the object in the foreground is a light to illuminate the building at night. There another one at the far end. I've omitted a third picture of the front.

Eight chairs arranged in a semi-circle at the side of a classroom.

I wonder how many of the room helpers are still around.

The last shot gives a wider view of the classroom.

I found the Verdugo Woodlands Elementary School at 1751 N Verdugo Rd, Glendale. While I was comparing the building where GSV dropped me, I realized that the original building is still standing just to the left.

GSV

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 11:58 PM

"4th of July picnic in La Canada Valley [1890s]

ebay

note the fancy cushions on both sides of the blanket.

reverse / writing upper right corner

as you probably already know, the La Canada Valley is northwest of Pasadena.

_

The Los Angeles Herald from December 11, 1890 lists Dr. J.J. Bleeker as the secretary pf the Homeopaths Medical Society.

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=...H18901211.2.27

And I found his home address in the Register of Motor Vehicles [circa 1910]

https://books.google.com/books?id=Z1...sadena&f=false

The flags no doubt prompted the seller to say it's the 4th of July. (it certainly looks like it)

I don't know what fifth anniversary they're celebrating.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 3, 2017 at 1:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos