HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:17 AM

Toronto Mayoral Debate 2014

http://www.citynews.ca/2014/03/26/vi...14-the-debate/

Based on this debate, I'm leaning Tory. If only I could vote.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:30 AM

That was one of the worst debate formats I've ever seen. And what was with interrupting the debate to tell us who people were texting in as their favourite candidates? This isn't American Idol. Awful job on CityTV's part.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2014, 4:55 AM

What I think is clear is that Rob Ford won't be mayor in name only for much longer.

Chow's performance was abysmal. She is full force into trying to re-open the transit debates - all of which these days get very nasty with minimal productive result - instead of building out what has been agreed upon.

Tory is the only candidate on that stage that seemed to have the steady resolve to get things done. Don't undo Eglinton LRT, just build it. Don't undo Scarborough Subway, just build it. Then focus next on a DRL subway that the city desperately needs.

Tory appears to be - on a municipal level - progressive enough to lead a progressive city. I would have never supported him as leader of PC Ontario, but he's differentiating himself from Chow who seems to be all politics and no substance. Its not just about opposing Rob Ford, its about progress.

Transit is just too important and Chow doesn't seem to get it about the need for not restarting the debate from scratch. Why would anyone want to undo the Scarborough Subway plans now that its a deal? These LRT hardliners that have captured Chow's team don't seem to get it that most people in Scarborough use buses to get to the SRT stations, and getting rid of the Kennedy transfer and extending the subway is more important than having a few extra LRT stops.

It just boggles my mind that people want to relive this debate over and over. In Scarborough you will now have the opportunity to board a bus, connect at one of the subway stations, then you won't have to connect again until you get to Yonge or another bus if you're exiting at another line. With LRT you'll go from BUS-LRT-SUBWAY-YONGE SUBWAY/BUS. That's precisely why Transit City is really Transfer City, less efficient transit.

Why is this so complicated for people to understand? Subway is the best way to rebuild the SRT. The ink is dry, the deal is done. Chow represents regression, not progress. In effect, Chow is not a progressive on transit.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:18 AM

Chow is straight up loopy and not in a good way. Not to mention her financial record is abysmal. It's scary how much support she has.

While I respect Ford for the garbage privatization intiatives and tax savings he has no basic understanding of transit. A finch (let alone a Sheppard) subway is simply not justified.

Id like to say Tory has my vote but I dont think he'll be able to garner enough support. He is the master of bad timing.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:35 AM

^Chow isn't loopy. She's just wrong on transit IMO. Other issues she's quite good on: she's a voice of common people in the city, she's obviously not interested in privatization of services, but that does not mean she's a runaway spender.

In terms of Rob Ford, he's entirely irrelevant. He's the butt of all jokes, so I'm not sure why he's subjecting himself to another run. Chow's biggest problem during the first - quite terrible - debate was this refrain that "you should stand up against Rob Ford, can you do that?" when asking Tory questions. The truth of the matter is, no one will ever answer to Rob Ford. No matter if Tory or Chow wins, neither will answer to him. And he's mayor in name only at the present to begin with.

Chow's problem is lack of substance. She needs to run on solid platform ideas, not general statements and standing "against Rob Ford" when he's so irrelevant.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2014, 1:45 AM

I'd also like to point out that transit supporters need to come together. LRT is a great technology when implemented properly. Its not that different from street cars - which is what the Chow team hates to admit - and its not that poor of a form of transit as the Ford team has made it out to be.

LRT is most properly used for smaller, local transit service to connect to heavier rail systems. Berlin is the best example of this, and I keep telling Torontonians to focus on Berlin. Similar size city (around 5-6 million), lots of streetcars (trams) and heavy subway and electrified commuter rail lines that are much better at delivering regional rail than GO. Its the perfect example to draw from, because Toronto is already growing beyond Berlin's size, yet Berlin has a world class transit system that is eons above Toronto's current structure.

Finch LRT is a completely logical idea. Its local transit and connects to the TTC subway, and its a few km long, not a city-wide backbone transit line. It is the way light rail was designed to be, its a fantastic project. The problem is that Finch LRT should be secondary, if funding isn't available, to a DRL subway line in the core.

Eglinton LRT really should have been a third rail, heavy subway system as it is a cross-town line that is meant to grow with the city as a major city-wide transport corridor; however, its been debated, its funded, its in construction. It shouldn't be up for debate again, and as a mostly underground central section can absolutely function well by being on time for a good portion of its length.

Scarborough Subway is already a done deal, it shouldn't be up for debate. Subway makes so much more sense for Scarborough. Replacing the RT with LRT brings the exact same problem up again in 20 years: transfer at Kennedy, different rail cars and technology means massively more post-construction investment expense to keep up the line when a subway extension would just be updated as the Danforth subway receives new rail cars in the future. And then there is the issue that the vast majority of Scarborough residents utilize the RT and will utilize a future subway extension or LRT system by bus connections. That means LRT will retain RT's issue of bus-LRT-subway-yonge subway or other connections as opposed to bus-subway-other connections.

Scarborough subway is quicker, cuts out an unnecessary transfer, and it delivers lower maintenance costs into the future since its integrated with an existing subway line.

Toronto does not need to relive these debates. They lead nowhere. On transit, Chow is just so wrong its painful to watch an otherwise good politician want to head down such a regressive, argumentative path. Toronto's transit debates end up as a joke more often than not when it really doesn't need to be.

Toronto is a city that willingly and increasingly wants to use transit to get around, but its politicians and chattering class won't allow the city to build a world class, Berlin like transit experience for its citizens. There is nothing more painful than to see such an emerging world class city like Toronto with the will to use transit, but can't even muster enough political will to build even a Philadelphia quality regional rail network, which is a city that increasingly doesn't use transit.

Last edited by Dr Nevergold; Apr 8, 2014 at 1:57 AM.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2014, 4:32 PM
Super Moderator / Sr. Committee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Nevergold View Post
LRT is most properly used for smaller, local transit service to connect to heavier rail systems. Berlin is the best example of this, and I keep telling Torontonians to focus on Berlin. Similar size city (around 5-6 million), lots of streetcars (trams) and heavy subway and electrified commuter rail lines that are much better at delivering regional rail than GO. Its the perfect example to draw from, because Toronto is already growing beyond Berlin's size, yet Berlin has a world class transit system that is eons above Toronto's current structure.[/url]
You cannot compare Toronto with Berlin. The building typology is completely different. Density, street width, attitude towards the car, residential form are all entirely different!

Bringing up pictures of LRT in Berlin will just elicit blank stares from those that already support LRT and ridicule from those that already don't support LRT.

Flickr®

Old Posted Apr 18, 2014, 2:30 AM

Berlin is obviously quite a different city, but its suburbs aren't particularly high density. They have more multi-family housing than Toronto, but Toronto is a grade above most North American cities with multi-family suburban housing. Its certainly complicated.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Toronto