HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForumSkyscraper Posters

Welcome to the SkyscraperPage Forum

Since 1999, the SkyscraperPage Forum has been one of the most active skyscraper enthusiast communities on the web. The global membership discusses development news and construction activity on projects from around the world, alongside discussions on urban design, architecture, transportation and many other topics. Welcome!

You are currently browsing as a guest. Register with the SkyscraperPage Forum and join this growing community of skyscraper enthusiasts. Registering has benefits such as fewer ads, the ability to post messages, private messaging and more.

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:49 PM

Thanks.
The brown mullions are also missing the cornices shown in the renders.
I don't think they would make much difference, but it's a detail that is missing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
For me, Artemisia would look good somewhere along South Granville or Broadway in Kits. It just doesn't work for me at its current location.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo604 View Post
Oh well at least the artemisia is small enough to be easy to tear down when the potential density of the site is needed.
But it's strata-titled, so a vote of the owners would be needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
My last contribution to The Lauren.

Is that supposed to be an accessible curving ramp?
If so, it fails on 2 counts - the slope and angle of the grade, and the placement of the lamppost.
The angle of the path even looks like it would be uncomfortable for a pedestrian.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 10:07 PM

I like the Lauren and Artemisia. Both are tacky, but both are weird and at least trying to make a statement: Artemisia with it's wacky palace inspirations and Lauren with its commentary on all of the kitschy old towers in the West End. I think that a few interesting, if unaesthetic buildings are fun and add the fabric of a city. Or at least help breakup the Vancouver monotone.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:39 AM
More Towers

Hard to tell exactly what is changing to the front of the Canaccord Tower but maybe it will get the same glass box style entrance like in front of the TD Tower to unify the look of their properties?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:43 PM

It won't be the same as TD, each building at Pacific Centre is meant to retain its own identity. If anything the project bears more resemblance to the recently completed 200 Granville lobby reno.

The full set of renderings are posted in the lobby of 609 if anyone is interesting in checking them out. Here is what the exterior is going to look like:

609 Granville Rendering, on Flickr

Last edited by LeftCoaster; Oct 23, 2014 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Reposted broken link

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 8:54 PM

Thanks...
that looks completely disjointed from the look and proportions of the tower and its cladding.

It's almost as bad as the eatons / Sears "arch" that was in front of the rotunda.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM

I see what you're saying. Worth noting that the render takes liberty with the lobby glass which is shown as completely clear (not even present) where as it will actually be the same as the tower. Should help ease the disjoint as the final product will just be a white awning sticking out of a black/brown building.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester View Post
I like the Lauren and Artemisia. Both are tacky, but both are weird and at least trying to make a statement: Artemisia with it's wacky palace inspirations and Lauren with its commentary on all of the kitschy old towers in the West End. I think that a few interesting, if unaesthetic buildings are fun and add the fabric of a city. Or at least help breakup the Vancouver monotone.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
I see what you're saying. Worth noting that the render takes liberty with the lobby glass which is shown as completely clear (not even present) where as it will actually be the same as the tower. Should help ease the disjoint as the final product will just be a white awning sticking out of a black/brown building.
It's the proportions of the awning - and how it is purely rectangular or rectilinear in form, but the dimensions bear no relation to the mullion grid on which it is placed - so there's a mismatch.

The thickness of the awning is thinner than the spandrel on the curtain wall.
The white carrerra columns are thinner than the width of a window pane.

It would have been better if they chose a form that diverged from the rectilinear so there would be some contrast -
like the curved metallic awning that 701 West Georgia used to have or a trapezoidal or lozenge shape.

The old awning thickness matched a spandrel panel width (which may have been placed to match the awning):

http://changingvancouver.wordpress.c...nville-street/

Last edited by officedweller; Oct 23, 2014 at 4:42 AM.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:39 AM
EdInVan

Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks...
that looks completely disjointed from the look and proportions of the tower and its cladding.

It's almost as bad as the eatons / Sears "arch" that was in front of the rotunda.
Don't ever expect anything tasteful to come from Cadillac-Fairview. Look at the way they re-did the lobby at 200 Granville -- it is totally out of keeping with the brutalist exterior of the building. It's a beautiful lobby, but not for that kind of building. Same thing with the TD Tower lobby. Chandeliers? Really? What were they thinking?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:54 AM

What, you don't like the black quartz stone baseboard against the beige travertine marble in TD Tower?!?
They actually replaced the chandeliers at TD Tower - the first set had too many halogens that kept burning out.
The new ones have the bulbs in the baseplate shining down.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 8:40 PM

Facebook album of pics from the renovation of the Dominion Motors Building (Staples) at Seymour & Smithe:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...3321834&type=1

I still don't think an awning / canopy has been installed on the building yet (but you can see openings for drainage pipes / downspouts).

I still think it would have been a much better project if they had used the 1 storey addition on Seymour (where the Staples copy centre is located) for the office entrance - that would have allowed a new elevator and stair core wrapped in a glass cube with catwalks to the older structure.

Old Posted Yesterday, 5:59 AM

Speaking of awnings... I noticed today that the wooden structure in the Lauren mini-park (show in Klazu's photo below) has been removed - not sure what that's about...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:24 AM

Maybe it became a haven for smokers and the residents above didn't like that.

Old Posted Yesterday, 4:04 PM
life in the present

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post
It won't be the same as TD, each building at Pacific Centre is meant to retain its own identity. If anything the project bears more resemblance to the recently completed 200 Granville lobby reno.

The full set of renderings are posted in the lobby of 609 if anyone is interesting in checking them out. Here is what the exterior is going to look like:

609 Granville Rendering, on Flickr
Agreed! The entire Pacific Centre once had a brilliant cohesive and ultra-modernist design, from the sidewalks to the matching gridlines in the glazing and the overhangs. That's long been discarded and so now we're losing the last of it with the 609 re-do. It's seem odd how we're returning to a more modernist theme but forgetting some of the basics that made many of these structures timeless.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > SSP: Local Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver