HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 7:27 AM

^

You can't drive 100 miles north?

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 8:13 AM

Louisville, KY should have an NBA team. They had the Kentucky Colonels back in the ABA days and have lots of college basketball fans. And KFC Yum! Center is a newer downtown arena ready for NBA basketball.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
Louisville, KY should have an NBA team. They had the Kentucky Colonels back in the ABA days and have lots of college basketball fans. And KFC Yum! Center is a newer downtown arena ready for NBA basketball.
I think the arena's lease with UL prevents an NBA team from moving in.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 12:53 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhun1 View Post
I think the arena's lease with UL prevents an NBA team from moving in.
That's my understanding as well.

There's too strong of a college basketball culture entrenched in Louisville for the NBA to successfully take off.

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 4:59 PM

NFL: Toronto
MLB: Portland
NBA: Seattle
NHL: Milwaukee
MLS: Phoenix

Old Posted Jun 9, 2018, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Most hated MLB teams by region.

https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/r...ated-mlb-team/

The second map shows where the ballparks are and their local fanbase [*doesn't show the fanbase outside of their home region].

Salt Lake City, Portland or Charlotte make sense to relocate a MLB team to. Or what the heck, let's throw Las Vegas in there now that it's a professional sports town with the Knights, Raiders and WNBA Aces.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 6:02 PM
E pluribus unum

*HOMER ALERT*

I'd love to see Flagstaff get a minor league affiliate of the Diamondbacks (Rookie League or Single A). Where else in Northern Arizona, other than maybe Prescott, could you play baseball outdoors in July and August?***

Then again, at an elevation of 7000 feet (approximately 2133 meters), minor leaguers' stats would be all screwed up and probably drop significantly at lower altitudes.

***I realize that this could also be done in Show Low or Payson as well?

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 9:34 PM

I have a hard time believing the Angels are the most hated team around here. Then again, they move the Astros around so much it's hard to build any kind of rivalry with anyone. And no, the Texas Rangers are not a heated rival, that's manufactured.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 10:20 PM

Vancouver would go crazy for NBA basketball this time around. I'd like to see an MLB (AL) franchise in Las Vegas. It's a big baseball town.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:37 PM

NFL- Austin/San Antonio with an appropriate regional name for the team and a stadium located north of New Braunfels in the 35 corridor. Locating the team in a mid point exurban setting is the only way to attract both markets. The numbers are there since it is the fastest growing region in the country.
MLS- Looking like Austin might snag the team from Columbus

Old Posted Jun 10, 2018, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
Vancouver would go crazy for NBA basketball this time around. I'd like to see an MLB (AL) franchise in Las Vegas. It's a big baseball town.
Vegas is a big baseball town...really?

Vancouver got a raw deal, they didn't even get a fair chance to get behind the team before it moved. It took the Grizzlies years to get good, even in Memphis.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 12:29 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
this is amusing, considering that the cardinals are on their way to overtaking the white sox as illinois number two team on a percentage basis and possibly geographically more widespread in illinois than cubs fans. a few years ago it was within just a couple percent but now...

thesportsdailydigital.files.wordpress.com

and we don’t even hate the cubs as much as presumed...

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:04 PM
cities|transit|croissants

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
The Leafs are coasting? They juust had their highest regular season point total in franchise history.
The Leafs have not won their division since 2000. This year's finish, the one you're so happy about, was good for third place in their division. They have not advanced beyond the first round of the playoffs since 2004. They have only made the playoffs at all 3 times in the last 14 seasons. They have not made it to the cup finals since 1967.

Tell me you are happy with those results.

IMO Toronto ought to be the NHL's premier franchise. They should be winning cups every few years, and should only miss the playoffs once in a blue moon.

But if you don't think so, hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe more demanding fans deserve a successful team and Toronto is all set the way it is. I wouldn't have thought so, but if that's what you're telling me, who am I to disagree?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centropolis View Post
this is amusing, considering that the cardinals are on their way to overtaking the white sox as illinois number two team on a percentage basis and possibly geographically more widespread in illinois than cubs fans. a few years ago it was within just a couple percent but now...

-----

and we don’t even hate the cubs as much as presumed...
Another interesting observation about the map is that if you look at North Carolina, the Yankees are the most hated team, yet when you look another fan base map, N.C. is Yankees [and braves] territory.

Maybe the Nationals have eaten up some ground in the past 10-12 years.

PS: that pic of an empty white sox stadium is the reason why I floated the Charlotte White Sox. I don't think MLB can expand any further, but they can definitely shuffle some teams around to generate interest.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:20 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirrus View Post
IMO Toronto ought to be the NHL's premier franchise. They should be winning cups every few years, and should only miss the playoffs once in a blue moon.
what's even crazier to me is the fact that no canadian team has won the stanley cup in 25 years now, despite canadian teams making up roughly 1/4 of the teams in the league.

an entire generation of hockey-crazed canadians has now grown up without ever witnessing a canadian team hoist the cup. that's just......... odd.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:32 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
PS: that pic of an empty white sox stadium is the reason why I floated the Charlotte White Sox. I don't think MLB can expand any further, but they can definitely shuffle some teams around to generate interest.
pittsburgh, oakland, tampa bay, and miami all have even lower average home attendance than the white sox this season.

maybe one of those teams should move to charlotte instead?

hell, miami is only averaging 10,700 per home game, which is off-the-charts terrible from a historical perspective.

the white sox attendance figure this season (16,900 per home game) actually looks somewhat ok compared to that.

source: http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance

Last edited by Steely Dan; Jun 11, 2018 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
pittsburgh, oakland, tampa bay, and miami all have even lower average home attendance than the white sox this season.

maybe one of those teams should move to charlotte instead?

source: http://www.espn.com/mlb/attendance
Sure, but then Pittsburgh and Miami would be without a team, when Chicago still has the very popular Cubbies and the Brewers close by.

Maybe the A's can follow the Raiders and move to Vegas?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
what's even crazier to me is the fact that no canadian team has won the stanley cup in 25 years now, despite canadian teams making up roughly 1/4 of the teams in the league.

an entire generation of hockey-crazed canadians has now grown up without ever witnessing a canadian team hoist the cup. that's just......... odd.
Yes, it is kind of odd statistically, but when you look at it, there have been some really strong American based teams these past 25 years..Repeat or even threepeat winners like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and New Jersey all come to mind making it seem less odd.

NHL - Quebec, although both Houston and Seattle seem like good choices.
NFL- Las vegas.I want to say Toronto, but the Bills would have to re-locate.
MLB- Bring back the Expos and their 1978 uniforms..Sure.
NBA - Back to Seattle, but maybe Vegas?
MLS- Don't, know..Don't care.

I just want to add that I think Vegas is primed and ready for more pro sports teams in general..Although, the GTA could support another NHL team in somewhere like Hamilton, I think that both Buffalo and Toronto would fight strongly against that. I like the idea of trying to grow the NHL in a State like Texas..Dallas and Houston would make a great rivalry, but putting another franchise in Quebec City is a no brainer and overdue.

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:21 PM
devout Pizzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Yes, it is kind of odd statistically, but when you look at it, there have been some really strong American based teams these past 25 years..Repeat or even threepeat winners like Detroit, Pittsburgh, and New Jersey all come to mind making it seem less odd.
yes, there have been some strong american powerhouses over that time span, but there were also lots of one-off cup winners in that stretch too.

it just seems so strange that none of them have been by a canadian team.

cup wins over the past 25 years:

detroit - 4
pittsburgh - 3
chicago - 3
new jersey - 3
los angeles - 2
colorado - 2
washington - 1
boston - 1
anahiem - 1
carolina - 1
tampa bay - 1
dallas - 1
rangers - 1

Old Posted Jun 11, 2018, 4:24 PM
Oak City

NFL: London. I like when they have early games in London so I can wake up and put on football at 9am.

MLB: Mexico City

NHL: Bring back the Quebec Nordiques.

NBA: Norfolk/Virginia Beach.

MLS: Raleigh. We have a solid bid in place but probably won't get one these rounds of expansion. The area is only home to the NHL hurricanes so less competition. The downtown stadium plan is bold. There should be a team between Atlanta and DC.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions