HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:25 AM

Los Angeles Homeless Count: Chronic homelessness down, 1st-time homelessness up

From 89.3 KPCC Southern California Public Radio:

Chronic homelessness down, first-time homelessness up: We take a look at the 2018 LA Homeless Count

"The numbers from the 2018 L.A. and countywide homeless count are in and are showing a small decline in overall homeless numbers: 53,195 in the county and 31,516 in the city.

"The number of people who are chronically homeless decreased by 16 percent. However, the number of people experience homelessness for the first-time went up.

"People who are homeless for the first time, rather than chronically, are often homeless for a different set of reasons -- often having to do with economics and housing affordability, rather than mental or physical health issues."

Link: Air Talk with Larry Mantle

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:44 AM
Unicorn Wizard!

Interesting.

Seems to go against the popular narrative that all homeless people are schizophrenics or people with completely unmanageable mental illnesses who should be locked up in an institution.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 2:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Interesting.

Seems to go against the popular narrative that all homeless people are schizophrenics or people with completely unmanageable mental illnesses who should be locked up in an institution.
Well this is what I've been noticing for quite some time now. People all make the assumption (especially on these boards) that most of the homeless are mentally ill. But for a number of years now, in Los Angeles, I see homeless people living out of their motorhomes, getting out of them and then walking presumably to work, being that they look like they're clean and dressed to go to the office or something.

Also, I see some homeless people under freeway overpasses with decent-looking luggage; my assumption is that they are newly homeless, and probably couldn't afford rent or their mortgage or something.

In LA (and other cities too I'm sure), the problem of overpriced housing needs to be addressed. Obviously, more housing needs to be built. Of ALL types, not just luxury towers downtown.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 4:10 PM
Dryer lint inspector

I just got back from LA and San Diego this weekend...LA must have sent their homeless to San Diego.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamaorama View Post
Interesting.

Who said that mental illness is the sole cause of homelessness and there are no other causes of homelessness? Please provide examples.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2018, 8:35 PM
SD/OC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
I just got back from LA and San Diego this weekend...LA must have sent their homeless to San Diego.
San Diego has long had one of the largest homeless problems in the US, but it has definitely worsened over the last few years. Believe LA’s problem has gotten worse also.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 3:04 AM
disorient yourself?

I contend that when any place legalizes marijuana (and competing locales don’t) you don’t necessarily see an increase in “Ranting raving” homeless. You will however see a marked increase in “living out of a 1980’s GMC Safari with a dog but otherwise perfectly healthy” homeless people. They tend to clutter up the waterfront areas where there is free street parking or some out of the way place.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 11:24 AM

Prop HHH and Prop H, which are City and County measures to address homeless issues respectively, should be a lot more visible in the coming years. Recently passed in Nov 2016 and March 2017, it is a many year revenue stream that will pay for building new shelters, and getting the facilities/resources needed to help the homeless like mental health. But there are those critics who want instant results for every single homeless person, when if it only a year into the program.

Still I wonder if it is enough. For example LA's city housing is meant to get 10,000 sheltered despite the 31,000+ figure. So what about the others. What about those who dont want to be sheltered. Also not clear how much the county will try to shelter. So it will be interesting to see if the downward trend will continue in future years, or a decade but it is still premature to claim any sort of "W"flag today.

There has a been a lot of opposition from local communities trying to get short term space or long term housing in their communities. Koreatown community has been quite vocal about it for several reasons. Even Lincoln Heights and Boyle Heights have voiced opposition in some locations. These are the low income working class areas. I wonder what a middle or upper class area like Brentwood or Bel Air would do.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 1:55 PM

portland reporting in. it appears we have peaked and maximum hobo was probably 2 years ago. a rare sighting of rainbow kids, travelers and a DRUM circle was made last summer at waterfront. a sign that normal migratory patterns have resumed...

Old Posted Jun 5, 2018, 2:21 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonman View Post
San Diego has long had one of the largest homeless problems in the US, but it has definitely worsened over the last few years. Believe LA’s problem has gotten worse also.
Ditto Phoenix (and to a far lesser extent, Flagstaff)

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions