HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 7:11 PM

Go home O'Keefe. You're drunk. May is not "early" 2013. Give me news about the AP Garage.

Last edited by Townie709; May 6, 2013 at 8:02 PM.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 9:29 PM

I don't see why forcing highrises to have parking garages would deter future development.

Old Posted May 6, 2013, 11:09 PM

Well if developers are continually pressured into adding multiple stories onto their development for public parking, it is not really the most lucrative trade-off for the investment they are trying to make. To be fair, I don't know much about the politics at play here.

What I do know is that parking adds more to the cost then it returns in profits. So it's usually limited in a large-scale development.

Of course there are better ways to integrate parking into a development, unlike 351. haha

Old Posted Jul 24, 2014, 5:26 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

This is reposted from the development thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Jama Lama View Post
Rumors of a 20 Storey Hotel for Mount Pearl. Adjacent to the Track and Field complex / Glacier Facility. You'll be able to see it in Gander.
Lots of skepticism is appropriate; would Mme. Pearl allow such a thing?

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 6:41 PM

The next big development, what will, or SHOULD, it be?

With two office towers completed downtown and a half a dozen small office buildings around town completed in the past couple of years we probably have enough supply for the next few years. (Deacon on the shelf or dead entirely)

The condo market, especially mid to high end units downtown, appears to have dried up and there might be enough mid size apartment buildings (Pleasantville) to satisfy current demand.

Not much happening with the approved hotels, Hilton, Marriott, Prescott/Water. The Sandman on Kenmount might be a go, they have at least constructed a fence around the property.

The only hope right now for anything significant might be the Galway / Glencrest retail / industrial area, scheduled for “activity” next year. If anything big is going to happen there we certainly haven’t heard too many rumors.

With the Provincial Government in a transition period and the likelihood of a significant deficit, I don’t see anything happening with a new HMP or law courts or long term care facility in the next few years. They might kick some dirt around at the Waterford but that won’t amount to much.

So, has anyone heard any good rumors lately!

We are in a dry spell after everything that has been underway for the past three years.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsell View Post
The next big development, what will, or SHOULD, it be?
The next big development should be affordable, high-density housing. This would be on the order of $800 POU for a two-bedroom apartment in a mid-rise building, and $1200 POU for a three-bedroom apartment or townhouse, not the luxury apartment buildings and seniors' residences that have been popular with developers lately. Northern Property REIT has been trying to get approval for some new buildings in existing subdivisions in St. John's, but the NIMBY's don't like them. A better option would be to build high-density housing on surplus municipal or provincial properties in walkable neighbourhoods in the city, such as site of the former Metrobus garage or some of the closed schools in St. John's.

A P3 development model, where the city or province leases land to the developer at no up-front cost, and the finished buildings include a mix of social housing and private-sector apartments (e.g. through a condo corporation with units owned by the city and private investors) could spur construction on the vacant properties and avoid the ghettoization seen in current NL Housing estates. There are a lot of people living in sub-standard housing in St. John's that would jump at the chance to move into a new, energy-efficient building with proper ventilation and good access to transit if they could get it for the prices I mentioned above. I'm one of them, having struggled with mould, high heating costs and assorted wildlife in every place I've rented in St. John's.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 12:50 PM

Your P3 model is a very good thought and I’ve often wondered why the government hasn’t invested in something like that instead of putting band-aids on so many of their existing buildings. I guess money is the big thing but I don’t really buy that excuse, there seems to be money for other things.

I mentioned a few months ago (not sure in which thread) that it would be good to see a highrise residential building next to the existing Harbor View Tower (?) at the foot of Hamilton Ave.

There is no easy answer to affordable housing but by the same token there doesn’t seem to be much will to take the bull by the horns. Every now and then there seems to be a lot of talk, and round tables, and forums but they are never followed up with any concrete (or wooden..ha..ha) action.

I’ve often wondered if it is a political thing with the various levels of government not wanting to interfere in the free market supply and demand of housing. There are a lot of landlords out there making a good dollar off social housing rentals, and sadly there are a few who are really taking advantage of it.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2015, 3:56 PM

I noticed some construction activity on the S S Hills at the Tank Farm. They've cleared an area to the east of the tanks, large enough for another tank. Haven't seen any mention of it at City Hall.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 6:36 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
I noticed some construction activity on the S S Hills at the Tank Farm. They've cleared an area to the east of the tanks, large enough for another tank. Haven't seen any mention of it at City Hall.
Hilarious, just what St. John's needs, another giant oil tank.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2015, 10:25 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

They really need to paint those green.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2015, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
They really need to paint those green.
That or some type of Hollywood-ish type sign spelling out St. John's or Newfoundland & Labrador across the current eyesore

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 12:02 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Yeah. That'd work. I'd even accept "Thank God for Oil" or something cheeky.

So, when will we see a render of the new Sally Ann building? They've got it completed, according to a post by... I think it was JCE, but maybe J Murphy.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2015, 6:49 PM

Looks like there is a new building going up in the parking lot of the Village Mall. Any word on what's going in there?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 4:12 PM

An application has been submitted to develop a four storey building at 372 Duckworth (I believe this is the vacant lot on the corner of Duckworth and Bates' Hill; Sprout Restaurant is a few doors east at 364 Duckworth). Planned building height is 15 m. Developer is requesting City Council increase permitted floor area ratio from 3 to 4, which Development Committee recommends (Agenda page 26: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202015.pdf ).

Looks like this lot was purchased from the City around December 2013 for $45 per sq ft or approximately $40,000 (December 2013 Agenda page 26: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...016%202013.pdf ). That means the lot footprint is around 890 sq ft. With four storeys, the developer will have potentially around 3200 sq ft of floor space on Duckworth Street for $40,000 plus building cost, which looks like a nice investment.

Application was submitted by Woodford Sheppard Architecture ( http://www.woodfordsheppard.com/ ).

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 4:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
An application has been submitted to develop a four storey building at 372 Duckworth (I believe this is the vacant lot on the corner of Duckworth and Bates' Hill; Sprout Restaurant is a few doors east at 364 Duckworth). Planned building height is 15 m. Developer is requesting City Council increase permitted floor area ratio from 3 to 4, which Development Committee recommends (Agenda page 26: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...%2C%202015.pdf ).

Looks like this lot was purchased from the City around December 2013 for $45 per sq ft or approximately $40,000 (December 2013 Agenda page 26: http://www.stjohns.ca/sites/default/...016%202013.pdf ). That means the lot footprint is around 890 sq ft. With four storeys, the developer will have potentially around 3200 sq ft of floor space on Duckworth Street for $40,000 plus building cost, which looks like a nice investment.

Application was submitted by Woodford Sheppard Architecture ( http://www.woodfordsheppard.com/ ).
This is actually the small triangular piece that backs onto Henry Street. There was a lawyer office there for a while, I think I recently saw a For Lease sign on it. Just wanted to clarify in case you meant the lot at the bottom of Bates Hill where the fire was a couple of years back.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/372...76a42b!6m1!1e1

There will likely be a battle if they want to build at 15 m.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 6:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Murphy View Post
This is actually the small triangular piece that backs onto Henry Street.
Yes, thanks, I should have said at the corner of Duckworth and Henry Streets by Bates Hill. Do you think it includes the vacant law office building previously for lease, or just the triangular grass lot next to it? I read it as the latter.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2015, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthetzel View Post
Yes, thanks, I should have said at the corner of Duckworth and Henry Streets by Bates Hill. Do you think it includes the vacant law office building previously for lease, or just the triangular grass lot next to it? I read it as the latter.
This is a good tool for checking out land parcels if you didn't know about it:

http://map.stjohns.ca/mapcentre/mapcentre.html

From this, it looks like the small piece of land and a part of the building is the parcel of land that is 372 Duckworth???

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 12:51 AM

City Council has received a development proposal for a 5-storey hotel (148 rooms) with 2 levels of parking at the corner of Prescott/Water by Alt Hotels. Meets zoning and heritage requirements, so might have a chance at a start.

Last edited by rthomasd; Sep 14, 2015 at 2:57 AM.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rthomasd View Post
City Council has received a development proposal for a 5-storey hotel (148 rooms) with 2 levels of parking at the corner of Prescott/Water by Alt Hotels. Meets zoning and heritage requirements, so might have a chance at a start.
Alt Hotels is owned by Groupe Germain, I believe they have been interested in St. John's for some time now. Hopefully we will see something nice built there soon, been vacant for far too long.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2015, 11:42 AM

According to VOCM Groupe Germain are ready to go.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's