HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
and being its a friday — here is a very sad situation — a ny streetery martini these days — ugh!
In San Francisco a lot of people are all hysterical about Uber/Lyft drivers too busy to use (or unable to find) rest rooms so just leaving jugs of pee all over town.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 9:26 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
In San Francisco a lot of people are all hysterical about Uber/Lyft drivers too busy to use (or unable to find) rest rooms so just leaving jugs of pee all over town.
Wow, I can so see that happening in SF

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 1:26 PM
cle/west village/shaolin

very cute — no corona talk in this rome coffee bar!

https://www.france24.com/en/live-new...ans-virus-talk

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 4:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersonOfInterest View Post
Is san fran the florida of california?
San Francisco would be the New York of California except New Yorkers generally view idiosyncratic behavior as a fact of life in the big city. Listening to the way some people talk on here, every bum taking a shit on a San Francisco sidewalk is the sign of the impending collapse of civilization. In New York that's something you'd forget about by the time you got to the elevator at your office.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 5:13 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

the west coast seems like a weird combination of more tolerance and engagement of it (both ways) combined with more annoyance by it.

but anecdotally california just has way more precariousness/homeless people on the ground it seems.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:26 AM
The City

I miss being in a cozy, noisy pub with a great tune in the background, good company, and a pint of beer in my hand—with a long evening ahead of me of dining and...well... being around others.

Anybody else relate?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 4:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
San Francisco would be the New York of California except New Yorkers generally view idiosyncratic behavior as a fact of life in the big city. Listening to the way some people talk on here, every bum taking a shit on a San Francisco sidewalk is the sign of the impending collapse of civilization. In New York that's something you'd forget about by the time you got to the elevator at your office.
You write that like seeing human feces on every street corner is a common sight around the country. It isn't.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 9:08 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Compared to SF, NY (Manhattan at least) is pristine. No comparison.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 1:26 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I miss being in a cozy, noisy pub with a great tune in the background, good company, and a pint of beer in my hand—with a long evening ahead of me of dining and...well... being around others.

Anybody else relate?
Most definitely. And where I live at least that's verboten until January 11 at least. And has been verboten for the past month or two.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 5:35 PM

Where I live, because Los Angeles County's COVID-19 infections have been spiking, the County health department has ordered that even outdoor dining at restaurants is prohibited beginning tomorrow at 10pm, through at least December 21st; only takeout, deliveries and drive-thru will be allowed.

However, because the City of Pasadena has its own health department, the Pasadena City Council has decided to still allow outdoor dining at its restaurants... so at least my partner and I still have an option.

A bit of background; in California, health departments are a County entity. However, 3 cities in LA County (Pasadena, Long Beach and Vernon) and one city in the Bay Area (Berkeley) have their own health departments.

From the LA Times:

Link: Pasadena will allow outdoor dining to continue despite L.A. County health order

Patrons enjoy dinner outside Perle Restaurant in Pasadena. The City Council will not halt outdoor dining on Wednesday. Pasadena has its own public health department. (Francine Orr/Los Angeles Times)

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:14 PM

The second wave is already forming in São Paulo and in a country as a whole.

Moving daily average is still at 400-500 deaths, but the number of daily cases skyrocketed in the past ten days. As in the beginning, it's reaching the upper classes firstly and many of those upscale hospitals are close to be out of room.

I don't think the city will stop again as people can't take it anymore.

Old Posted Nov 24, 2020, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Compared to SF, NY (Manhattan at least) is pristine. No comparison.
Nah, SF is much cleaner than Manhattan. I'm actually surprised that anyone would say otherwise.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 2:48 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Nah, SF is much cleaner than Manhattan. I'm actually surprised that anyone would say otherwise.
I have to agree with JManc. Certainly pre-COVID NYC was definitely more orderly in terms of scatological and psychological weirdness than SF was. At least in the more visible heavily-trafficked areas.

Of course we don't know what awaits us in the post-COVID world.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 6:13 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Because it is. SF is full of litter everywhere and while NY is noted for overflowing trash cans along the street, it's cleaner and better maintained.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
Because it is. SF is full of litter everywhere and while NY is noted for overflowing trash cans along the street, it's cleaner and better maintained.
I guess to each their own. This is anecdotal, but I don't think I've ever even seen a rat in SF in all the times I've been there. But I've had so many rats run across my feet in Manhattan that I won't even wear open shoes there.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:15 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
I guess to each their own. This is anecdotal, but I don't think I've ever even seen a rat in SF in all the times I've been there. But I've had so many rats run across my feet in Manhattan that I won't even wear open shoes there.
I imagine SF has more human feces laying about. As far as rats, maybe there are less coyotes in Manhattan to control the rat population? Are there any natural predators there?

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:16 PM
BANNED

Lets just agree chicago kicks them both in the teeth on this topic.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:26 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
I imagine SF has more human feces laying about. As far as rats, maybe there are less coyotes in Manhattan to control the rat population? Are there any natural predators there?
They do have coyotes but nothing like SF. Also hawks, owls, cats, etc.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 7:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebucket View Post
There are hawks and some raccoons, but otherwise there's nowhere for a big terrestrial predator to live in Manhattan since the human population is so dense.

Does SF still have any ghettos other than what's left of the Tenderloin? Manhattan still has legit ghettos, too.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2020, 9:07 PM
你的媽媽

Quote:
There are hawks and some raccoons, but otherwise there's nowhere for a big terrestrial predator to live in Manhattan since the human population is so dense.

Does SF still have any ghettos other than what's left of the Tenderloin? Manhattan still has legit ghettos, too.
Not downtown, although you could make an argument for Chinatown. Outside of the downtown core, there is Bayview-Hunters Point near where Candlestick Park used to be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions