New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://nypost.com/2014/07/02/larry-s...artment-tower/

Larry Silverstein to build city’s tallest apartment tower

By Leonard Greene
July 2, 2014

I hope Silverstein plans to firmly announce a "fk that" to these annoying people.
I hope those people get a free BMW too. They shouldn't have to ride the subway and they're entitled to other people paying for it.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2014, 11:11 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
How can people even be crazy enough to ASK for that? Do they honestly think there is a way to put an apartment up 100 floors and have it still be affordable? A broom closet with a window on the 100th floor of a building would probably be worth a million dollars just for the view.
Manhattan affordable? Since when? . I think people need to realize that this island is no longer affordable south of 110th unless you make a good income. If they want affordable housing, move to Brooklyn or Queens, or get a better job.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 12:23 AM
BANNED

Makes me wonder if this would be a rental or condo building? Also Nyguy made a good point that the affordable housing could be off-site. An affordable apartment on the 90th floor could make other tall residential buildings difficult (aka expensive).

Anyway I'm thinking of other ways that this street could become even more "pedestrian friendly'. There's a whole stretch of dead space on 41st between 11-12th and one has to sprint to cross the street where cars diverge to the Lincoln Tunnel. Constant traffic 24/7 and this a favorite spot for tour buses to park.

Hopefully this doesn't detract would-be tenants.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 6:20 AM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownTown View Post
How can people even be crazy enough to ASK for that? Do they honestly think there is a way to put an apartment up 100 floors and have it still be affordable? A broom closet with a window on the 100th floor of a building would probably be worth a million dollars just for the view.
There is a huge push for affordable housing in the city, yet some people don't understand what that means. If a developer puts up affordable housing in conjunction with luxury units, it does not mean that the affordable units will be "luxury" units at affordable pricing. The people who are paying higher prices are getting more for a reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
Makes me wonder if this would be a rental or condo building?
It will be a rental, same as the Silver Towers. Read that description again, it could be a virtual description for this one, there will just be a single, taller tower here.

But regardless of whatever the building looks like, the view at the entrance to the Lincoln Tunnel will get a lot better.

Here's a look from Nexis4Jersey09

_

BTW, I'm also wondering what becomes of the plan for the Hudson Blvd bridge connection...

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 3, 2014 at 6:33 AM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 6:26 PM
BANNED

I'm almost convinced part 2 of the Hudson Blvd park was never meant to happen although having plans for it. To get to 42nd they'll have to pay upfront for the land beneath a new+successful night club and maybe several other properties nearby. Where would the money come from and considering they could "only" afford to go to 33-37th streets, I'd bet on the Lincoln tunnel opening be left as is.

Also. where did it say that it was a rental building? I've read everything but didn't see that.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 7:07 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eveningsong View Post
I'm almost convinced part 2 of the Hudson Blvd park was never meant to happen although having plans for it. To get to 42nd they'll have to pay upfront for the land beneath a new+successful night club and maybe several other properties nearby. Where would the money come from and considering they could "only" afford to go to 33-37th streets, I'd bet on the Lincoln tunnel opening be left as is.

Also. where did it say that it was a rental building? I've read everything but didn't see that.

It'll be a rental. Silverstein isn't building 1,400 condos.

I don't know why you would suspect part 2 of HB wouldn't be built. It's being built in phases for a reason. Years ago, it could have been said that phase 1 wouldn't get off, or that that development over the railyards was a pipedream. Yet here we are.

It's that connection over the Lincoln Tunnel entrance that's needed. If they can build a whole city over the railyards, I don't doubt they could build a connection here. It would also be a huge plus to Silverstein's development to have that connection there. But it remains up to the City on how its done.

http://www.mvvainc.com/project.php?id=56

http://www.hydc.org/html/project/property.shtml

Here's an image of another scheme that was proposed for the connection...

http://archpaper.com/news/articles.asp?id=2865

http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2014/0...eader_comments

July 2, 2014,
by Hana R. Alberts

Quote:
Multiple news outlets are proclaiming Silverstein Properties' new tower for the far West Side the "tallest" and "largest," in the city and the nation. Simmer down now, and get your facts straight. Yes, based on the environmental impact statement, it's going to be huge, with 104 floors and 1,400 apartments. That said, it's going to rise a mere 1,100 feet, which is almost 300 less than all-residential 432 Park Avenue, while two other residential supertalls rising on 57th street, at Nos. 225 and 111, will be 1,423 and 1,350 feet, respectively. Keep things in perspective, people.

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Last edited by NYguy; Jul 3, 2014 at 7:30 PM.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2014, 7:39 PM
Mortaaaaaaaaar!

If they allow a tower over the tunnel entrance, they might be able to wrangle that developer to do the flying part of the park, since they would have the most to gain from it.

Edit: Although, I also recall plans floating about for an expanded bus garage on that site too.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2014, 1:46 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalziand View Post
If they allow a tower over the tunnel entrance, they might be able to wrangle that developer to do the flying part of the park, since they would have the most to gain from it.

Edit: Although, I also recall plans floating about for an expanded bus garage on that site too.

That was talked about for a while, though I don't know how that would fly with the park.

Maybe something in conjunction with the site just south of Silverstein's. If he is successful with his residential conversion, you would probably see the same thing there.

As it was originally rezoned...

Silverstein's site again...

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 2:55 PM
New Yorker for life

A for effort? Or F for failed?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Building.html

BTW, love some of the statements from people who read that article...(warning: stupidity ensues)

Quote:
.....Is this wise!!!

....Better keep the Planes away from it then !!

.....I am not a fan of these super tall buildings. Having been to the top of the WTC several times I cannot imagine anyone wanting to live that high up. It is scary! Plus you can feel the buildings sway in strong wind!

.....Surely it's not safe?

.....What a target!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 3:33 PM
BANNED

Spam "comments"?

Old Posted Jul 6, 2014, 4:20 PM
don't *meddle*...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
At this point I've completely lost count of all the planned supertalls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
I don't even keep up with the exact number of planned supertalls in the city anymore.
Hence the Supertall thread.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 3:14 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunser View Post
Hence the Supertall thread.
Even with that, I don't keep count. Once you get past single digits, its useless. We're just at a point right now where a typical tall development will be a supertall.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 3:34 PM
YIMBY co-founder

According to the list in that thread NYC will have 30 supertalls if/when all the current proposals top out. That is kinda cool. When the first one pops up in the outer boroughs or Jersey? That will mean even more.

OnTopic: I like this tower. A bit bland, but it looks powerful and I love the idea that it won't be just for the super-rich. Sure, it's all about the site's specific conditions regarding foundations, but it is still a rental with an affordable housing element planned for over 300 meters - showing it can be done at a profit.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 6:11 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swede View Post
According to the list in that thread NYC will have 30 supertalls if/when all the current proposals top out. That is kinda cool. When the first one pops up in the outer boroughs or Jersey? That will mean even more.

OnTopic: I like this tower. A bit bland, but it looks powerful and I love the idea that it won't be just for the super-rich. Sure, it's all about the site's specific conditions regarding foundations, but it is still a rental with an affordable housing element planned for over 300 meters - showing it can be done at a profit.
Yeah, the first supertall outside of Manhattan will be a game changer. Whether it be in Brooklyn, Queens, or Jersey though, from a distance it will blend with the Manhattan skyline.

And you are right about the housing. De Blasio's big push for larger buildings to get more affordable housing means this probably won't be the last of the big, new residential towers that aren't all super-luxury. It's the best way to go, given the demand for housing.

One thing about this one is that they aren't seeking approval for an increase in size, just for a larger percentage of housing on site. De Blasio could go further and push for even more than Silverstein is asking, but that remains to be seen. But as it is, I'm sure the mayor is salivating over those affordable housing units that can be obtained on site, a bonus for him since this was primarily office.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2014, 6:12 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I hope those people get a free BMW too. They shouldn't have to ride the subway and they're entitled to other people paying for it.
give me some of dat.

or were you being serious?

Old Posted Jul 8, 2014, 4:03 PM

To correct the title : 106 floors.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:10 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Silverstein Will Roll Out Case for Hudson Yards Mega-High Rise

Quote:
Attorneys for Silverstein Properties will present their case for turning a two-acre Hudson Yards site at 520 West 41st Street into a 1,100-foot-tall residential and commercial tower in the proposal’s first public hearing at the Department of City Planning tomorrow morning.

The plan would turn “Projected Development Site 46” of the 2005 rezoning from a potential office tower to a mega-high rise with 1,400 residential units, 175 units of corporate housing, 300,000 square feet of retail space and a 10,000-square-foot covered public open space; and the Silverstein team will argue with Chairman Larry Silverstein‘s signature vehemence on Thursday that only residential development would unlock the potential of the site that’s adjacent to the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center and approaches to the Lincoln Tunnel.

“The applicant believes that the proposed zoning text changes to facilitate the residential development at the site are appropriate and necessary as the project site has unique qualities and characteristics that make it more suitable for residential development while at the same time unsuitable for large-scale office development,” reads a draft environmental study document that rolls out a litany of reasons for the shift to residential in advance of the proposed rezoning plan’s Uniform Land Use Review Procedure.

Unlike other public zoning documents that hide the names of a company or its principals behind an LLC, this document not only features the company’s real name, it expounds the several-pronged argument style of its famous chairman.

The space no longer commands a viable spot for offices, lawyers for Silverstein say, without a previously-planned 7 subway station that’s been deemed too costly and with the tunnel blocking access to other parts of Hudson Yards. And Metropolitan Transportation Authority and Amtrak infrastructure below the ground would make an office tower “extremely difficult (if not impossible)” to construct on the site, Silverstein’s application says.

With new residential towers now marking the area south of the Clinton residential neighborhood, including the twin Silverstein-owned, 60-story Silver Towers, the previous plans for a commercial tower should no longer apply, according to the proposal.
====================================
7/30
http://commercialobserver.com/2014/0...rise-thursday/

Old Posted Jul 30, 2014, 4:30 PM

I really do hope the design becomes a bit more radical...

Buildings Over 200 Meters 62 Completed 20 Under Construction 50 Proposed 0 On Hold

Old Posted Jul 31, 2014, 11:29 PM
New Yorker for life

^ I really wouldn't expect that though. Silverstein's argument seems tp include limitations on design, or the basic form of the tower. Think of it as the Silver Towers, consolidated.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2014, 7:04 PM

great, because we need more glass boxes

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals