HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jan 13, 2019, 12:23 AM
Show me the blueprints

Yeah baby

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 14, 2019, 10:27 PM

Awesome Interchange Design

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:13 PM

Old Posted Jan 17, 2019, 5:57 PM
Show me the blueprints

^

I have to admit that is an extremely impressive presentation video. That being said, I'm still not sold on what they are selling. I think the form with the most potential is the gondola type system which could be a good solution for medium populated areas with difficult to traverse terrain. Outside of that, what I see here is several low capacity "solutions" that still would require all sorts of r.o.w. arrangements/agreements and power infrastructure - and if you're going to fund that, why not fund actual mass transportation with high capacity trainsets? One of those suspended concepts looks pretty much just like the 100+ year old Schwebebahn, hardly a groundbreaking idea, and that last image of the Pop Science 1950 "high speed pod" just makes me laugh.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 7:19 AM

Old Posted Jan 21, 2019, 9:14 PM

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 4:00 AM
Volatile Pacivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by M II A II R II K View Post
Kind of reminds me of this:

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 22, 2019, 7:37 AM

Old Posted Jan 26, 2019, 7:50 PM

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 6:35 AM

I didn't know Auckland even had a metro rail and now they are building a new underground section

Video Link

this one is more interesting perhaps for train fans

Video Link

Lots of videos at their youtube

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 3:21 PM

Niagara Falls, N.Y. mayor says he wants a GO Train across the border

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...he-border.html

Quote:

- The mayor of Niagara Falls, N.Y., thinks the recent GO Train extension to his town’s Ontario counterpart didn’t go far enough, saying he wants the commuter trains to cross the border. It may end up just a dream, but Mayor Paul Dyster told a U.S. news outlet he thinks a cross-border line would transform his town into a “bedroom community” for people working in Toronto. — Dyster said the arrival of GO Transit would have an impact on his area’s real estate market and possibly attract more investors. The border town has a population of just over 48,000 people, and housing options are significantly more affordable than Toronto.

- In response to Dyster’s comments, Metrolinx said there are currently no plans to extend their services into New York state. — “There are specific restrictions when a train leaves Ontario, or any province in Canada, that require a different set of inspection criteria and standards in order to legally enter the United States,” the provincial agency said in a statement, noting they’re preoccupied with integrating transit to Ontarians in the Greater Golden Horseshoe. “Once in Canada, we hope our American visitors to Ontario’s Niagara Region will take advantage of our rail service from Niagara to downtown Toronto.”

Old Posted Feb 1, 2019, 9:59 PM

The Seattle tunnel opens on Monday to commuters, grand opening this weekend

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 8:23 PM

It is a pipe dream expecting GO Transit to cross the border into New York state. Why would Ontario taxpayers invest in anything that will make Niagara Falls NY more competitive with its Ontario counterpart?

What the real dream is to have regular all day and two way rail service between Niagara Falls, Ontario and Toronto. Even that is years away. It can't come soon enough as far as I am concerned. To make it viable, the trains need to run significantly faster than cars.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2019, 11:34 PM

They should build a tube in the lake in a straight line then it would for sure be faster than cars.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 2:44 AM

this is 5 hours coverage of the Seattle Tunnel celebrations. The tunnel opens to cars on monday.

Its weird that they call it an 8K fun run, why not use miles?

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 3, 2019, 12:10 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post

Its weird that they call it an 8K fun run, why not use miles?
Although the United States has lagged behind almost all of the world in the adoption of the metric system, its running culture has not. With the exception of full and half-marathons, most races are listed in terms of kilometers.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 9:27 AM

Interesting thx

This is weird on so many levels

Video Link

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 2:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

^

About 10-15% of the comments under the video are absolutely crazy. About the same percentage as mentally unstable crackpots in the general population.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
^

About 10-15% of the comments under the video are absolutely crazy. About the same percentage as mentally unstable crackpots in the general population.
the military have a lot of money, we know theres some bad parts of the military. it made me wonder, i dont comment if i dont know anything though.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2019, 6:50 PM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
this is 5 hours coverage of the Seattle Tunnel celebrations. The tunnel opens to cars on monday.

Video Link
This is a pretty big deal in Seattle's history.

Much of the city funnels through a corridor less than a half mile wide from I-5 on the east (hugging First Hill) to the waterfront. Even as a militant alt-transportation advocate I wanted this tunnel because unlike Portland, Vancouver, and San Francisco our downtown isn't isolated or a dead end, but is the heart of the funnel. While transit is also being added at a high rate, the "no freeway" alternative added a lot of pass-through traffic on Downtown avenues. The tunnel isn't for anyone heading TO downtown, only through it...it's nearly two miles with no exits. (They wouldn't have even been possible really...the tunnel is extremely deep to get under other tunnels and buildings.)

Downtown succeeds because of tunnels: The mined heavy-rail tunnel (with freight, Amtrak, and commuter rail) built a century ago, the transit tunnel built in the late 80s (next month the buses leave and it'll be all light rail), and even I-5 itself which is lidded in a couple sections. The new tunnel replaces a six-block segment of old tunnel for Highway 99 in addition to the viaduct on the waterfront. In the next decade we'll start another transit tunnel for more light rail lines.

I've heard that 100,000 signed up to walk through the new tunnel, the old tunnel, and/or the viaduct via free tickets. Some are mourning the viaduct, which despite being rickety and ugly was also loved for its views (including by drivers, go figure) and for being a fast driving route.

Now we have additional years of construction to get rid of the viaduct and rebuild Alaskan Way along the waterfront. We also need to build a major new street where the viaduct climbed the hill, up to Western and Elliott Avenues. That's a big part of the street connections to replace the local-access aspect of the viaduct. Actually not just local but for any car heading to the northwest sections of town.

I'm also celebrating because a decade ago it looked like we might end up with a rebuilt viaduct, which would have had to be taller and wider than the current one just due to safety.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation