HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 10, 2024, 5:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by giallo View Post
^ Haha. Nice one, Metro. I imagine the inspiration for that video happens daily.

Spoofing Vancouver driving would be an act of violence. I swear the drivers out here get worse on a daily basis.

My friend helps run a very successful "Emo Night" here in Vancouver. I've never been a fan of emo music, but went for my first time to help shoot some promo photos last Friday. It's basically a crossroad Millennials and Zoomers reliving a time when My Chemical Romance was the biggest thing ever.
Thanks! I'm happy you enjoyed it. Filming in Japan you got to be super stealth. It takes just one cranky neighbour to put an end to the whole thing!

Awesome pics BTW! Also not my cup of tea for music, but you got some great shots there!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 7:42 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My many years as a journalist were all in print. I've got a great face for radio, and a voice that's better imagined while reading from the page. So, despite having a lot of experience in that field, I have very little up close and personal experience with TV journalists. I was fortunate enough to be on the sidelines of a Carolyn Stokes interview recently. It's been multiple days and I'm still thinking about it lol She was just so cool to watch. How different that skill set is, how amazing she is. She'd pause for a second, kind of mumble, "Okay, I'll start with something about, and then mention this, and then I'll move this shoulder back and..." and then, ACTION, she'd just do it. Without any umms or ahhs, she'd just say what could be the entire text of a news release, earnestly, perfectly, while moving exactly the right way, highlighting her guest and her props, and then done. No second shot needed. The skills involved in being able to do that off the cuff just astound me. Writing and language, public speaking, acting, on and on. It was truly... impressive. Make sure you check out CBC's Here and Now on Monday, by the way!

EDIT: Just to show who she is.

Video Link

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Apr 18, 2024 at 10:00 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2024, 11:21 PM
Rational urbanist

That's a cool story. I've often had similar thoughts and been impressed by the quick thinking and backbone of Power and Politics hosts like Vassy Kapelos and now David Cochrane. Of course they prepare for interviews but with the direction those conversations go sometimes you get the impression they know everything about everything regarding Canadian public policy and history.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 10:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

My neighbourhood is in the news again

Quote:
The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary are responding to reports of two weapons offences, including one of possible gunshots, in downtown St. John’s.

The Constabulary says the first incident happened on Casey Street.

A short time later police received reports of possible shots fired in the area of Livingstone and Carter’s Hill.

In both cases no injuries have been reported.

There is a large police presence in the area. Anyone with information is asked to contact the RNC.
BUT, even more unusual...

State of Emergency Remains in Effect as Major Fire Continues to Rage in Happy Valley-Goose Bay; Update Expected Saturday Morning

Quote:
Several explosions have occurred as crews continue to contend with a massive blaze in Happy Valley-Goose Bay.

The town declared a state of emergency last night, which remains in effect for the north side, also known as the Canadian side of the community.

In the latest update provided by Mayor George Andrews, he says several buildings have been consumed by the blaze but there is currently no risk to residents living in the Spruce Park area of town.

Lake Melville MHA Perry Trimper told VOCM News late Friday night that the fire broke out in a ceramic shop on the base and as crews from the town, 5 Wing Goose Bay and SERCO, were attending to the scene, the fire had spread to the abandoned air traffic tower.

Many of the buildings involved date to the Second World War and are dilapidated, but others have been kept up and used for storage.

Trimper says officials are monitoring the situation and are allowing the fire to burn itself out.

The airport is closed for the time being, but Trimper is hopeful once the fire burns out the airport will be able to get back up and running.

Anyone needing assistance is asked to call 709-896-3322 or 911.

The town will provide an update this morning at 9 a.m.
https://vocm.com/2024/04/20/state-of...ley-goose-bay/

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 9:33 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Kill me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68860064

I can remember when Igor was being covered by mainstream news, and they were interviewing someone around Clarenville who lost a shed, and I looked at mudder, and she was grimacing. "Disgraceful. That is not how we are." And I guess I inherited a bit of that unjustifiable snobbery.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Kill me.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68860064

I can remember when Igor was being covered by mainstream news, and they were interviewing someone around Clarenville who lost a shed, and I looked at mudder, and she was grimacing. "Disgraceful. That is not how we are." And I guess I inherited a bit of that unjustifiable snobbery.
Like what? Igor? Is it some sort of Newfoundland code?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 9:53 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

It was a particularly bad hurricane here in recent years. I forget exactly when, pretty sure I was still on the mainland for it?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2024, 9:54 PM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Like what? Igor? Is it some sort of Newfoundland code?
It was a hurricane in 2010 that affected only Eastern Newfoundland.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Igor

Maybe that cruise's advertising targeted only Newfoundland as well.
It seems like something that might catch on; if you don't really want to get that far away from home, you can just bring it with you.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 3:09 AM
be nice to the crackheads

Street videography of Toronto from 1974. Really cool footage.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 4:57 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

toronto the hood

Quote:
Isn't it interesting the way that kind of urban B & W film is always paired with jazz? Before hip-hop, the most urban music was jazz. Sam's was a major attraction in those days, pretty sure I've shopped there on visits.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 1:30 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:

Video Link
Love this stuff. Thanks for sharing!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:02 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Genuinely did not expect this to ever be legal here.

Uber launches rideshare in Newfoundland and Labrador

Quote:
Today, Uber officially launched its ridesharing platform in Newfoundland and Labrador offering residents and visitors a safe, affordable, and reliable transportation option at the touch of a button.

In over 140 municipalities in Canada and over 10,000 cities globally, Uber users rely on the app to access transportation options whenever they need them. Whether it’s a ride across town to run errands, to get to work or school on time, or a late-night ride home after an evening out, Uber helps riders get where they want to go.

“Just in time for a busy tourism season, we are excited to bring rideshare to Newfoundland and Labrador. Residents and visitors alike now have a safe, affordable, and reliable option to help get them where they need to go, when they need to,” said Michael van Hemmen, General Manager of Mobility of Uber in Canada. “And for those with a safe driving record, a flexible opportunity to earn money on their own time. We’d like to thank the Province of Newfoundland and Labrador for their support of rideshare.”

“As a bucket-list tourist destination, and with a growing reputation as a great place to do business, Newfoundland and Labrador welcomes visitors from around the world” said the Honourable Dr. Andrew Furey, Premier of Newfoundland and Labrador. “These travellers are used to having a variety of transportation options at their fingertips, and today’s announcement puts us on par with over 10,000 cities around the world where people can hail an Uber.”

“Uber has a great deal of experience with providing this type of service, which people, businesses and municipalities here have been asking for,” said the Honourable Sarah Stoodley, Minister of Digital Government and Service NL. “We made the necessary changes to our legislation and took a provincial approach so ride-sharing operators can do business here. I’m pleased to welcome Uber as the first company to provide this additional option for residents and visitors who need and depend on reliable and safe transportation.”

“We are excited to welcome Uber to Newfoundland and Labrador. Our members have been asking for additional transportation options for quite some time and we’re pleased to have been able to work collaboratively with government to bring ridesharing to our province,” said AnnMarie Boudreau, CEO of St. John’s Board of Trade. “More transportation options mean more people moving about and enjoying local shops and restaurants. We look forward to the positive impact this will have on the business community.”

Rideshare will be available in the entire Avalon peninsula with the main service area being St. John’s. Reliability throughout the peninsula will increase in the coming weeks and months as more drivers sign up. We ask residents and visitors for patience with wait times as we get rideshare up and running here. To meet the expected demand for rides, interested drivers can visit driver.uber.com to learn more about driving with Uber.
https://www.uber.com/en-CA/newsroom/...undland-launch

Seems like the suburbs will like it.

I expect I could get to my parents' for around $15 based on what they're describing, which is better than 2 hours by bus, only available on weekdays.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
Isn't it interesting the way that kind of urban B & W film is always paired with jazz? Before hip-hop, the most urban music was jazz. Sam's was a major attraction in those days, pretty sure I've shopped there on visits.
They had colour in the 80's lol. Used to see this on Global TV overnights. Still jazz though lol.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 11:46 PM

when did Sam the Record man close there?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 1:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spongeg View Post
when did sam the record man close there?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2024, 4:18 PM

Video Link

Recorded in November of 1983, and aired for the first time in January of 1984, it was rebroadcast many times. This recording is from one such rebroadcast in the mid-90s on the Prime channel in Canada.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:15 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I've been listening to various covers of this since watching Baby Reindeer.

Video Link

Just want to say... it's blown up now, so you've likely heard of it, but a week ago two friends of mine were raving about it so much that I checked it out and I ended up staying up basically all night and finished it in one sitting.

Check out Baby Reindeer (Netflix, or... you know... skulls and open seas). The two lead actors are amazing, and missus is English (I've been watching interviews and her Scottish accent was so good that I've yet to see a Scottish interviewer who didn't comment their surprise she's not actually Scottish lol). The story is deliciously grey, there is no black or white. There are some good laughs, and the aftermath of sexual assault (against a man, no less) is so excruciatingly followed, over years.

It reminds me of Jasmila Zbanic's "Quo vadis, Aida?" about the genocide in Srebrenica, Bosnia. One of the most perfect movies I've ever seen. What you think would be the climax, in any typically over-the-top, simplified North American film, isn't. The film lingers on the main character for YEARS after, and it's torturous, infuriating, devastating. It's just... I've never seen a movie like it, or had an experience like watching it. And Baby Reindeer does the same thing with sexual assault.

Video Link

Video Link

Old Posted Yesterday, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
They had colour in the 80's lol. Used to see this on Global TV overnights. Still jazz though lol.

I used to watch this at 3:30 in the a.m. back in the '90s. Its ambience is the apotheosis of dreamy, relaxing, and jazzy, perfect for sinking quietly into repose.

Old Posted Today, 4:59 PM

What is your favorite Canadian genre of music?

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada