HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:39 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Third times the charm........

Of course, a third Atlanta franchise is probably QC's best chance at getting back in the NHL. After all, it worked for Calgary and Winnipeg.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Third times the charm........

Of course, a third Atlanta franchise is probably QC's best chance at getting back in the NHL. After all, it worked for Calgary and Winnipeg.
Atlanta has become a completely different city since 2011. It has gotten significantly larger and significantly richer since that time. I don’t think Atlanta will have a problem this time around.

Come See My Work: Mississauga Future Skyline Model | Pan-Canadian Future Skylines Project - Kelowna, Saskatoon, Windsor, London, Hamilton, Niagara Falls, Barrie, Ottawa, Halifax​​​ | Astrophotography Thread

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 1:52 PM
the first stamp is free

^ Atlanta was already a significantly bigger and richer City in comparison to Winnipeg (or QC for that matter) back in 2011. I doubt any growth in Atlanta has an bearing on whether or not a franchise will succeed there - more likely a stable ownership group.

Either way, going for a fool me thrice scenario IMO is not a great idea for the NHL.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:47 PM
Community Guy

Not to mention that the game is far more commercial, has expanded its audience in a way that blows me away to be honest and is all about ratings/coverage and so ATL is ripe for this NHL's time and expansion plans.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 2:53 PM
Community Guy

The Oilers brought a B team out with a C- effort and D- D performance.

Perplexing to say the least, but maybe they were team building on the golf course pre-playoffs?

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 10:51 PM

NHL approves Coyotes sale, relocation to Salt Lake City

"The NHL is moving the team now formerly known as the Arizona Coyotes to Utah to begin play as a new franchise next season, the league announced Thursday.

Ryan and Ashley Smith of Smith Entertainment Group bought the team and its existing hockey assets for $1.2 billion from Alex Meruelo, sources told ESPN. Meruelo had owned the Coyotes since buying the franchise for $300 million in 2019, but the league lost patience in his ability to find a long-term arena solution in Arizona and facilitated a sale.

The Smiths, who also own the NBA's Utah Jazz, initially built a relationship with commissioner Gary Bettman because they wanted an expansion franchise. However, over the past several months, the conversation changed and Bettman approached the Smiths about becoming a solution for the Coyotes instead."

Sorry QC.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2024, 11:52 PM

And as expected, the Coyotes will remain as an inactive franchise with Alex Meruelo having a 5 year window to re-activate them. He has the right to payback the billion dollars and get the team back. Whether he will or not, who knows. He's been a clusterfuck of a team owner and I'm sure the league would rather someone else came along. But if expansion happens in the next couple years and the fees are approaching 2 billion like some have tossed around (and I think that is pretty optimistic), he would probably be a fool to not build the arena and reactivate the team and have an asset worth much more than he paid right away. Of note though is according to Bettman today, his 5 year right to reactivate isn't transferable. He either reactivates the team himself, or the league sells an expansion franchise for whatever the going rate is.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:02 AM

How rich! Coyotes fans and some in Arizona are mad at Gary Bettman for not doing enough to keep the Coyotes in Arizona.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 2:33 AM

The Jets defeated the Canucks to finish the season at 52-24-6, good for 110 points, 2nd in the Western Conference.

They sure have had a good run in April. Hope they can keep this up in the playoffs.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 3:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericmacm View Post
Atlanta has become a completely different city since 2011. It has gotten significantly larger and significantly richer since that time. I don’t think Atlanta will have a problem this time around.
It's not about the size of the city back then and now. The Thrashers had two things that went against them. First, most fans lived in the suburbs north of the city, and didn't want to fight the notorious Atlanta traffic. Second, Phillips Arena had another tenant, the Hawks, so losing one tenant was not as big of a deal as it would be for an arena to lose its only tenant.

If an arena is built in the suburb of Duluth, it will be close to a lot of fans, and it will be in a prosperous area. That would be the best key to success for the NHL to succeed in the Atlanta area again.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:24 AM
Community Guy

Let's go DUCKS let's go!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:33 AM
Community Guy

L.A baby. Certainly a tough team, but not Vegas.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 4:46 AM
Community Guy

Hold the phone!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:03 AM
Community Guy

Kings it is!

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 5:16 AM
Community Guy

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:04 AM

Jets finish fourth overall in the league for the season. Highest ranking Canadian team. Not too bad

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xzmattzx View Post
It's not about the size of the city back then and now. The Thrashers had two things that went against them. First, most fans lived in the suburbs north of the city, and didn't want to fight the notorious Atlanta traffic. Second, Phillips Arena had another tenant, the Hawks, so losing one tenant was not as big of a deal as it would be for an arena to lose its only tenant.

If an arena is built in the suburb of Duluth, it will be close to a lot of fans, and it will be in a prosperous area. That would be the best key to success for the NHL to succeed in the Atlanta area again.
You forgot the disjointed, disinterested ownership group. They almost immediately tried to sell the Thrashers as soon as they acquired them as part of their deal with TBS to buy the Hawks and the arena lease.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 12:48 PM
I am the law!

2 billion in tax incentives have been given by the city to develop a mixed use Entertainment District around the already built stadiums downtown. Why wouldn't any Atlanta NHL team be going there? It wouldn't look all the good for the NHL to not be part of it.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:07 PM

And Hellebuyck and the

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justanothermember View Post
Jets finish fourth overall in the league for the season. Highest ranking Canadian team. Not too bad
Jets and Conner Hellebuyck win the William M. Jennins trophy! Vezina next? Shame that Brossoit won't have his name on the Jennings trophy. He will always have his name on the Stanley Cup though.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2024, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
And as expected, the Coyotes will remain as an inactive franchise with Alex Meruelo having a 5 year window to re-activate them. He has the right to payback the billion dollars and get the team back. Whether he will or not, who knows. He's been a clusterfuck of a team owner and I'm sure the league would rather someone else came along. But if expansion happens in the next couple years and the fees are approaching 2 billion like some have tossed around (and I think that is pretty optimistic), he would probably be a fool to not build the arena and reactivate the team and have an asset worth much more than he paid right away. Of note though is according to Bettman today, his 5 year right to reactivate isn't transferable. He either reactivates the team himself, or the league sells an expansion franchise for whatever the going rate is.
They can't just let the corpse die permanently, huh? Gotta keep the thinnest of slivers of hope alive for....some reason? Don't recall Atlanta getting such a deal.

Anyway, thanks for the discounted tickets in 2016/17 City of Glendale taxpayers. Got to see a bunch of Canadian teams cheaper than here and enjoy some nice weather at the same time.

Mostly I'm glad the saga's over. Next on the list: Fox's undead animated TV shows that stopped being relevant decades ago.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada