HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick84 View Post
Haven't seen this mentioned in awhile... But there is scaffolding all around the building.

http://m.chicago.curbed.com/archives...evelopment.php

A notice was sent out which appears the original structure will remain.

In accordance with Section 17-13-0107-A of the Chicago Zoning Ordinance, Title 17 of the Municipal Code of Chicago, please be informed that on or about May 22,2014,1 filed an application for a Special Use with the Zoning Board of Appeals of the City of Chicago under the zoning ordinance for the property located at 678 Kingsbury Street, Chicago, Illinois,
The applicant seeks a special use to allow a residential use on the ground floor of an existing 5-story building to be converted to residential with a total of 39 dwelling units. The proposed will also have a proposed 2-story addition above the existing building and a 4 and 6-story additions to the south of the existing building. The proposed will also have the required 39parking spaces within the building with additional provided parking spaces for a total of 76 auto parking spaces with some being proposed auto lifts.
Well this sucks, I actually like the warehouse building that is at that intersection. I wish they could just convert it to condos instead if tearing it down. I hate the design that they are coming up with here.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
I don't know man, the facade has no depth, the courses/mouldings at the bottom look too-yellow and cheap, and the spandrel glass is terrible.

I actually thought of what you had said in that other thread when writing my post. Still, even with strict energy requirements, they could have used glass that had thin-film coating that provided more transparency (maybe?). The opacity and hue of the spandrel glass is also awful.

We were proposed something like this:

source

...which, like I said, I was a little naive about. But they should have gone with something like:

This:
source

Or this:
source
Ralph's Contemporaine and I'm pretty sure Jahn's condo building both predate the new energy code... also, the goal of the code evaluates the building globally, so in the case of Fulton, they could have increased the tint/reflectivity of the three 'traditional' warehouse sides and maximized the translucency of the west... regardless, the rendering was either misleading or a pre-value-engineering, pre-code compliant pipe dream...

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 4:27 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Link N. Parker View Post
Well this sucks, I actually like the warehouse building that is at that intersection. I wish they could just convert it to condos instead if tearing it down. I hate the design that they are coming up with here.
^ For FUCKS SAKE, does anybody even read posts any more?

The very post you just quoted describes an adaptive reuse of an existing building, and here you are complaining about it being torn down.

Anyhow, I'm glad they are rehabbing that old property. That burgeoning little district needs to keep some of the old Chicago feel...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 5:57 PM

Probably more visibility here than in the Trump thread:

Can new broker fill Trump's long-vacant retail space?

Quote:
New York-based Trump Organization hired retail brokerage RKF to find office tenants to fill the lower two levels of the long-vacant four-level shopping area at the base of the Trump International Hotel & Tower at 401 N. Wabash Ave., said Donald Trump Jr., Mr. Trump's son and executive vice president of development and acquisitions at the firm.

The move taps the brakes on the elder Mr. Trump's declaration in June that he would stop trying to find any commercial tenants for the long-vacant shopping area, deciding instead to expand the hotel's lobby and build out conference rooms and meeting spaces in that part of the property.
Good that they aren't giving up on that riverfront space yet. I think with the riverwalk right across the water the profile on those spaces should rise quite a bit. They're forgettable now because they're both hard to get to and never seen. Add a few million people down at the water level each year and the visibility might be enough to overcome the awkward access. I still want a gondola ferry though.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 6:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ For FUCKS SAKE, does anybody even read posts any more?

The very post you just quoted describes an adaptive reuse of an existing building, and here you are complaining about it being torn down.

Anyhow, I'm glad they are rehabbing that old property. That burgeoning little district needs to keep some of the old Chicago feel...
;-) beat me to it.

I am very excited to see how they handle this and even more excited that -fingers crossed - isn't going to plunk down a two-story parking turd on the empty lot behind it like the original condo conversion was intent on.

Old Posted Aug 27, 2014, 10:34 PM
dream fast

8/27

Lake Shore Athletic Club demolition...

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilsenarch View Post
Ralph's Contemporaine and I'm pretty sure Jahn's condo building both predate the new energy code... also, the goal of the code evaluates the building globally, so in the case of Fulton, they could have increased the tint/reflectivity of the three 'traditional' warehouse sides and maximized the translucency of the west... regardless, the rendering was either misleading or a pre-value-engineering, pre-code compliant pipe dream...
so you're saying the energy code is relatively new?? If they want to discourage excessive energy use, they should simply be taxing the energy (or rather carbon, dirty energy), and let developers figure out how to efficiently conserve energy by cost/benefit decisions. No way the building code can keep up with the latest trends and hence stymies diversity in design.

1K Fulton is still turning out gorgeous, but hearing about such an unnecessary regulation is kind of frustrating.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:16 PM

^agreed

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by george View Post
8/27

Lake Shore Athletic Club demolition...

That walkway is going to look really strange out there by itself when this is all gone.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 2:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinChi View Post
so you're saying the energy code is relatively new?? If they want to discourage excessive energy use, they should simply be taxing the energy (or rather carbon, dirty energy), and let developers figure out how to efficiently conserve energy by cost/benefit decisions. No way the building code can keep up with the latest trends and hence stymies diversity in design.

1K Fulton is still turning out gorgeous, but hearing about such an unnecessary regulation is kind of frustrating.
I like this idea. But how exactly would you tax the developers on the carbon of the building they are building will produce in the future? A typical carbon tax would say that they have to pay a tax on any carbon out put from the construction of the building. Whomever owns the building would have to worry about taxes after it is built. I'm not sure this would get the outcomes that were are aiming for but maybe you can elaborate.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 3:20 PM
dream fast

8/27

Former North Terminal Pier, now River East Center - loft apartment conversion

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:17 PM

^Speaking of conversions, I'm doing some research for a Curbed piece about historic buildings being converted for different uses. So far I can only think of 10, but I feel like I'm missing a few. Any you guys can think of?

I skipped the old post office because it's not active yet. Most of the conversions in the west loop aren't really historic buildings, just old warehouses, but 1KFulton might qualify.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:22 PM

This is pretty much already done -- they're just looking for tenants now -- but I would think the Amber Building at 1620 W Chicago would qualify. Also the old Hub Theater at 1746 W. Chicago is transforming into the Forbidden Root tap room -- pre-construction got underway today in fact.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
^Speaking of conversions, I'm doing some research for a Curbed piece about historic buildings being converted for different uses. So far I can only think of 10, but I feel like I'm missing a few. Any you guys can think of?

I skipped the old post office because it's not active yet. Most of the conversions in the west loop aren't really historic buildings, just old warehouses, but 1KFulton might qualify.
The Roakoke Building (11 S. LaSalle) is being converted into a hotel. There's been talk of converting the Oriental Theater building into residential, but I don't know how far along that is yet.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:47 PM
BANNED

^^
333 N Michigan has been undergoing a gut-rehab.. but it's remaining an office building. Though I've heard the old Tavern Club might be getting new life..

Also, while not nearly as exciting, the old Belpark Theater, at Belmont and Cicero, will be renovated into a church. It was once the largest theater (without balconies) in the world.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 6:49 PM
The City

^ My guess is that we are talking mostly about highrises, otherwise the list could be rather long...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
^ My guess is that we are talking mostly about highrises, otherwise the list could be rather long...
Yeah pretty much.

Roanoke was the one I was trying to remember I think. I'd forgotten about Oriental Theater though. Thanks all.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 8:53 PM

The old Studebaker showroom at 2036 S Michigan and the office building attached to it are being converted to retail and apartments. There's another one in Printer's Row that was passed the other month by the zoning committee but who knows when/if that will happen.

Also, there is an old storage facility near the Vic/Belmont Red/Brown/Purple line that's supposed to be converted to apartments.

Old Posted Aug 28, 2014, 9:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
Yeah pretty much.

Roanoke was the one I was trying to remember I think. I'd forgotten about Oriental Theater though. Thanks all.
The Northwest Tower Bldg, Milw & North is being fitted up as a hotel.
The Kesner Bldg, aka 5 N Wabash, was turned into residential condos ten or fifteen years ago.
The Pittsfield Bldg now includes several floors of student housing and hoteliers give it the hairy eyeball every couple of years.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2014, 1:27 PM

Also there is the school building in Lincoln Park along the L that is being converted to housing.

Is 28 E Jackson really student housing? I know that was the original intent. But the signage suggested that it is just more luxury housing available for anyone to rent.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development