HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Apr 2, 2024, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorhosj1 View Post
Could you please share the list? I would love to send it to my Alder and ask for an explanation.
As a Planner I would note that the majority of projects that are stuck in "The Process" are typically because of unforeseen circumstances or the applicant not getting the needed information/plans into the city to meet deadlines.

I don't want to take any responsibility from the city, but this is a daily struggle.

Big developers will come in with a very aggressive timeline and then sit on a site plan for half a year. By time they resubmit we have to dig into the history of the project as many aspects of any project are forgotten after many months.

EDIT: I know working in a suburb with a sub 100k population is radically different than working in Chicago yet developers are developers.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:54 AM

My 2 cents on the 39th and Lake Park possibilities.

The area seems to be developing a nice mix of beautiful old homes and newer buildings. I think the possible tallest building would be good if

located on site #6 because it would not block as many views toward the loop, it could use the two towers at Lake Parc Place as a sort of visual

podium when viewed from the east and it would reduce traffic congestion by its placement being set back from the entrance to the area.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:35 PM

It's not 100% clear to me, but it looks like they're tearing this down for parking?

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/m...1016-w-jackson

The elevation has that part of the facade marked as concrete block.

Obviously great that they're replacing a surface lot, but apparently the trade is for fairly large-format retail plus parking in a podium.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 1:39 PM

No, the article shows that 222 S Morgan will not be demolished

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 2:13 PM

Nevermind, I get it now, the east elevation is showing the wall behind that building. Thanks.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2024, 6:36 PM

The area could definitely use another grocery in that large retail space but looks easy enough to divide up into smaller tenants if needed

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 6:07 PM
Chicago

RIU Plaza Chicago - 150 E Ontario

April 4, 2024

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 9:59 PM

Crescent Heights listing 640 W Washington for sale. They must really be struggling because they had all the city approvals in place for this, and not to mention recently listing NEMA & the lot adjacent to it for sale recently.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Crescent Heights listing 640 W Washington for sale. They must really be struggling because they had all the city approvals in place for this, and not to mention recently listing NEMA & the lot adjacent to it for sale recently.
Hopefully this isn't a bad sign for 420 N. May (if I am correctly remembering that one is also theirs)

Old Posted Apr 5, 2024, 11:33 PM

[QUOTE=SolarWind;10178905]April 4, 2024

It's hard to believe how many people were bitch, moaning and complaining about this one. Basically an infill in a prestigious area, it's looking great. They are taking forever to finish the details on the main level facade but so far it looks excellent.

Faux finishes be damned. Excellent.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2024, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh777 View Post
Yeah, they withdrew their permit application a couple of months ago, so I figured things must not be looking good over there

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:27 PM

https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/l...nt-1143-w-lake

LG Group plans revised two-tower development at 1143 W. Lake
The updated design for the site will have 667 residential units

Quote:
With bKL Architecture on board for the new version, the site will become home to two residential towers. Rising along N. May St, the first phase tower would be the shorter of the two, standing 25 stories tall reaching 315 feet in height. The smaller building would have 287 dwelling units, 252 parking spaces, and 287 bike parking spaces. The second phase of the project would see the construction of a 38-story tower reaching 450 feet in height. Rising at the corner of W. Lake St and N. Racine Ave, the building would have 380 residential units, 257 parking spaces, and 380 bike parking spaces.

The previous proposal called for the second tower to be north of Lake Street, but it looks like the parcel is np longer a part of the planned development.

Older design...

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 1:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
Older design...
And an even older design (top circa 2019)...

Curbed

I thought this one was going to have one of those pedestrian-oriented "mews" running through it? Looks like that's been scrapped in favor of a regular alleyway with loading docks and parking ramps.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:24 PM

Not loving the parking ratio here... and then the podium facing Randolph Street.

If I remember correctly, LG was on the forefront of the TOD movement, and even put in a bike counter on Milwaukee years ago, so I'm wondering...

Is it because of the current state of the CTA under Dorval, or something else?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:52 PM

Dam a third architect change?

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 4:53 PM

I checked the developer's website and approved plans, and it seems like the project's original plan consisted of 1143 W. Lake and 1150 W. Lake. The southern part of the development, 1143, was designed as a single, large project that would have been completed in one phase. However, the revised plan has split it into two parts.

The smaller tower north of Lake Street, 1150, is still part of the development.

Overall, it appears that the project will now be completed in three phases. The recent update, which splits 1143 into two parts, may have been done for financial reasons to secure a construction loan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
https://chicago.urbanize.city/post/l...nt-1143-w-lake

LG Group plans revised two-tower development at 1143 W. Lake
The updated design for the site will have 667 residential units

The previous proposal called for the second tower north of Lake Street, but it looks like the parcel is no longer a part of the planned development.

Older design...

Last edited by Razorback; Apr 15, 2024 at 5:31 PM.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
Not loving the parking ratio here... and then the podium facing Randolph Street.

If I remember correctly, LG was on the forefront of the TOD movement, and even put in a bike counter on Milwaukee years ago, so I'm wondering...

Is it because of the current state of the CTA under Dorval, or something else?
To date the first and only bike counter in Chicago is at Chicago & Wells put in by AMLI, the Milwaukee one was actually even manufactured... but never put in

https://chi.streetsblog.org/2022/12/...in-river-north

Old Posted Apr 15, 2024, 6:30 PM

That is an insane amount of parking. What's the point of abolishing parking minimums if developers want to pump our urban areas with cars anyways?

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:27 PM

Looks like they splitting it up into two towers to build and finance separately. From Crain's:

Quote:
“In today’s economy with the shifts that have happened over the past couple of years, that project is just not financially viable. Looking at re-envisioning what needs to happen to have a successful start here, that’s where we came up with the idea of a two-tower, two-phase (plan),” said Gabriel Leahu, director of programming at LG.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 2:47 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Never thought I'd say this about a bKL design, but it looks better than the previous iteration, which just looked like a weird pastiche of different design elements smashed together.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations