HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Never, atl2phx! We probably won't see stone bridges on the connector until it is dismantled and converted to proper urban boulevards. But in the meantime I don't see why we couldn't devote a little more attention to the design of bridges on our other streets.
When there's limited transportation funds, all the bells and whistles get traded for bare essentials.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 3:33 PM

Rob, I certainly appreciate that but good design and cost consciousness are not mutually exclusive. We also have to bear in mind that our investments in infrastructure are investments in our collective future. They’ll be there for generations to come. We're a mature, affluent world class city of over 5 million people. There's no reason we shouldn't pay as least as much attention to our public structures as other similar cities around the globe.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Rob, I certainly appreciate that but good design and cost consciousness are not mutually exclusive. We also have to bear in mind that our investments in infrastructure are investments in our collective future. They’ll be there for generations to come. We're a mature, affluent world class city of over 5 million people. There's no reason we shouldn't pay as least as much attention to our public structures as other similar cities around the globe.
I agree with you Andrea but unfortunately I believe this is the argument that will be raised until we have a solid, sustainable source of transportation funding in place. I would love to see more context-sensitive bridges such as 5th Street but I have yet to talk to any GDOT official that is actually happy and excited about this kind've design.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 9:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiorenza View Post
We still have plenty of granite (almost infinite) in Georgia to build many things, including bridges and aquaducts. I don't know why people don't better utilize local granite and pine for building houses. The cost would be a little more, but would be quickly recaptured in longer lasting, more energy efficient structures.
Extensive use of granite more generally and especially in some high profile projects would definitely help make Atlanta more distinctive (like brownstones in NY or Chicago) and we would actually come by it honestly instead of trying to import new concepts from other places.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2007, 11:00 PM

Nice parks.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:53 PM

Speaking of bridging the connector in some form or fashion, this image was on the Greenberg Farrow website. I wonder if its something that was proposed (and rejected) for the 14th street bridge redo.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 3:57 PM
Man of Many Statistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by smArTaLlone View Post
Speaking of covering the connector in some form or fashion, this image was on the Greenberg Farrow website. I wonder if its something that was proposed (and rejected) for the 14th street bridge redo.

That includes a lot of scrapers too. I would imagine its a dead proposal at best.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dante2308 View Post
That includes a lot of scrapers too. I would imagine its a dead proposal at best.
I'm talking about the park-like bridge over the connector, not the buildings. Greenberg did the streetscape design for 14th and I'm pretty sure the buildings are only there to show the potential of such a project.

Old Posted Dec 12, 2007, 4:23 PM

^That looks like a connection between the 14th St and proposed 15th St bridge. This would be GREAT, but I don't know if it will happen as long as GDOT is constructing them. The only way it could happen would be if Midtown pumped in some extra cash.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2007, 2:34 PM

Old Posted Feb 13, 2008, 6:05 PM

Detailed expansion plans for Piedmont Park.

Last edited by smArTaLlone; Apr 17, 2008 at 9:40 PM.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 1:06 AM

Quote:
great video.

i love how they've run the park. i love the expansion plans. i love how they are working with the ABG.

as exciting as skyscraper plans are, quality of life would be zero without place like piedmont park and the botanical garden.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 1:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLaffinity View Post
great video.

i love how they've run the park. i love the expansion plans. i love how they are working with the ABG.

as exciting as skyscraper plans are, quality of life would be zero without place like piedmont park and the botanical garden.
We chose to live in Midtown because of Piedmont Park. Without the park, I would consider Buckhead's new highrise condos.
American since 1-20-2009"

Old Posted Feb 18, 2008, 2:39 AM

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 10:25 PM

Beltline Inc has completed a master plan for the North Avenue park.

North Avenue Park pdf

location (south of City Hall East)

Old Posted Jul 31, 2008, 4:55 PM

nmn

Last edited by amd1588; Feb 24, 2014 at 9:55 PM.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 8:14 PM

great set of photos, amd1588 (don't know how we've all missed them until now...)

I wanted to put in a plug for the newly renovated Deepdene Park (the most eastern of the linear parks on Ponce--the only one on the north side of the street). It is really neat -- it's been left with natural vegetation, it has 6 or 7 granite bridges (one really big one) crossing ravines, lots of stepping stones going back and forth across the creek that winds through it... Very intensively "engineered" but in a very rustic way. Because most of it is in a large ravine below street grade, you can walk along the bottom and think you are in the N. Georgia mountains (noise from the traffic the only reminder that you aren't).
I am often underwhelmed with Atlanta's efforts, but they hit this one out of the park (pun intended)!

Old Posted Aug 20, 2008, 8:38 PM

I'm really glad to hear that, Tombstoner. My kids played soccer there, lo, those many years ago and I have fond memories of Deepdene. I need to get back over there and check it out!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2008, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Speaking of bridging the connector in some form or fashion, this image was on the Greenberg Farrow website. I wonder if its something that was proposed (and rejected) for the 14th street bridge redo.

But even as a concept drawing this demonstrates one of the great things about anything that would cover the connector. Suddenly you go from having something that is development negative with noise, exhaust, unsightly, a huge physical barrier - to - something that is a HUGE development positive, nice quite parkland, unrestricted views, visual and pedestrian connectivity.

Suddenly marginally developable sites become highly developable.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2008, 4:34 PM

Definitely, Chris.

You know, they are currently doing this exact thing in Dallas, although on a somewhat larger scale. I'd love to see something like that happen here one day.

Woodall Rogers Park

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta