HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion

Old Posted Jan 29, 2024, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
Sorry, I wasn't clear.

You can use it for free if you show an ID with a Gatineau address.

People from Ottawa can use the ecocentres, but they have to pay (not sure what the fee is). Don't take my word for it though, I don't want you showing up with a wagon full of home renovation junk only to be turned away

Best solution - get a Gatineau friend to take your stuff for you!
Thanks!

Old Posted Jan 30, 2024, 3:32 PM

Company distributing reusable containers:

https://www.cbc.ca/listen/live-radio...-entrepreneurs

Pay a deposit at the take out, return it and they clean and return to the restaurant. So simple.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2024, 1:58 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

Ottawa's $450M question: To burn our trash or not to burn our trash?
Controversial waste-to-energy incinerator still a decade away, with likely vote in 2025

Elyse Skura · CBC News
Posted: Mar 13, 2024 4:00 AM EDT | Last Updated: 6 hours ago

Anyone approaching the waste-to-energy facility in Clarington, Ont., will notice the tall, thin smokestack with its twisting white plume of condensed steam.

Take a closer look and you'll see the 30-odd garbage trucks arriving daily to dump their loads of trash — fuel for the energy-generating turbines within.

A large digital sign lists the real-time emissions of hydrochloric acid, carbon monoxide, ammonia and other byproducts of the constant burning, as well as the levels considered safe according to government standards.

"I don't think there's anything to worry about, right?" said facility manager Ben Parayankuzhiyil during a recent tour. "I live in the community. I work here. I spend eight-plus hours a day here on site and I'm not worried."

But many are worried, including groups over 300 kilometres away in Ottawa.

The city is considering a facility very similar to the Durham York Energy Centre as a possible solution to replace the Trail Road landfill, which is nearing capacity.

<lots more>

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...rash-1.7141227

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 4:45 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

A private landfill wants Ottawa's trash
"In seeking this approval, the CRRRC will be better positioned to be part of the solution for the City of Ottawa’s current and developing waste management challenges."

Marlo Glass, Ottawa Citizen
Published Mar 21, 2024 • Last updated 17 hours ago • 2 minute read

A massive new private landfill has applied to take household trash from Ottawa as the city continues to weigh its options for waste disposal after the Trail Road landfill reaches capacity.

Companies behind the Capital Region Resource Recovery Centre have applied to Ontario’s Ministry of Environment, Conservation and Parks to accept residential waste from single-family homes. The proposed facility is already approved for residual commercial and industrial waste, recycling and more.

Located on 475 acres in east Ottawa at the intersection of Highway 417 and Boundary Road, the CRRRC is still in the design phase and isn’t yet in operation. Once it opens, though, it will have a capacity of 450,000 tonnes of waste per year.

The City of Ottawa is developing a new waste management master plan, but “the CRRRC aims to be a key player in sustainable waste management in Eastern Ontario, offering one of the only integrated waste management facilities in the country,” Denis Goulet, vice-chair of Miller Waste Systems, said in a statement.

Goulet’s statement added that the landfill had already received approval to take in garbage from condos and apartment buildings, but was now asking to add curbside garbage from single-family homes.

“In seeking this approval, the CRRRC will be better positioned to be part of the solution for the City of Ottawa’s current and developing waste management challenges,” the statement added.

But, Goulet clarified, the city has not committed to using the new facility.

“This strategic move comes at a crucial time when municipalities, including Ottawa, are grappling with the challenges of increasing waste volumes and limited waste disposal options. We believe that adding residential waste to the approved waste categories for the CRRRC can play an important role in helping to meet these challenges,” Goulet said.

The Trail Road Waste Facility, Ottawa’s largest waste site, is nearly full. As it stands, Ottawans throw out almost 1,000 tonnes of trash daily, and the 200-acre Trail Road facility is expected to be at capacity within 13-15 years. By then, trash will have reached the height of a nine-storey building, the maximum allowed by the Province of Ontario.

In a memo to Ottawa’s mayor and council on Thursday, Alain Gonthier, general manager of the city’s public works department, said the city was aware of the Capital Region Resource Recovery Centre’s request to accept residential waste.

“While this is a private facility with no involvement with the city from a waste perspective, staff want to ensure members of council are aware of pending changes as this facility is located within the limits of the City of Ottawa,” Gonthier said.

The city declined further comment on Thursday.

Goulet said the construction timeline would be finalized after the facility’s approval process and design had been completed.

https://ottawacitizen.com/news/a-pri...-ottawas-trash

Old Posted Mar 22, 2024, 5:39 PM

No. The solution is not more landfills. We'll be in the same situation in 30 years if we chose more landfills.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 4:28 AM

Does anyone else find it curious that a private company has been able to locate and purchase 450 acres of land, design, and operate a land-fill site at a profit; while city staff say that it would cost the city $450M and take 15 years to create a new land-fill facility? Remember, CRRRC’s cost also includes the capping and monitoring of their facility after it eventually fills up.

Regardless of the (what I consider disingenuous) prediction by staff that Trail Road will be full within 15 years, the city is going to need to do something about garbage. There will always be waste that will need to go to a land-fill – even if we turn to incineration as our solution. That means that Trail Road will eventually become full. Why not, if the tipping cost is relatively the same for either location, use the private land-fill. Since it is being designed to handle 450,000 tonnes per year (and Ottawa’s residential waste requirement is about 350,000 tonnes per year) it is possible that it will be accepting waste from the surrounding area – including Quebec. It is called CAPITAL REGION Resource Recovery Centre, after all.

Notice that the name of the new facility is Capital Region RESOURCE RECOVERY Centre. Does this imply that they will be actively removing recyclable materials? I expect so. This will, likely, be part of their business plan.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2024, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post
Does anyone else find it curious that a private company has been able to locate and purchase 450 acres of land, design, and operate a land-fill site at a profit; while city staff say that it would cost the city $450M and take 15 years to create a new land-fill facility? Remember, CRRRC’s cost also includes the capping and monitoring of their facility after it eventually fills up.

Regardless of the (what I consider disingenuous) prediction by staff that Trail Road will be full within 15 years, the city is going to need to do something about garbage. There will always be waste that will need to go to a land-fill – even if we turn to incineration as our solution. That means that Trail Road will eventually become full. Why not, if the tipping cost is relatively the same for either location, use the private land-fill. Since it is being designed to handle 450,000 tonnes per year (and Ottawa’s residential waste requirement is about 350,000 tonnes per year) it is possible that it will be accepting waste from the surrounding area – including Quebec. It is called CAPITAL REGION Resource Recovery Centre, after all.

Notice that the name of the new facility is Capital Region RESOURCE RECOVERY Centre. Does this imply that they will be actively removing recyclable materials? I expect so. This will, likely, be part of their business plan.
I found more information here at their website. https://crrrc.ca/details.htm

This is the proposed location of the landfill.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sCirX6tdpDmiWUQF7

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
No. The solution is not more landfills. We'll be in the same situation in 30 years if we chose more landfills.
OK so we will use another landfill at that time. Probably an AI driven electric truck that slashes costs to go much further.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2024, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Eade View Post

It is curious. If a private entity is ready to invest in this and wanting the City as a customer, probably means it's cheaper to run than pay a third Party.

In any case part of the solution should be to greatly reduce waste and be better at recycling and reusing.

Quote:
My guess, greenwashing. I doubt there's any recycling planned as part of this facility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by qprcanada View Post
I found more information here at their website. https://crrrc.ca/details.htm

This is the proposed location of the landfill.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/sCirX6tdpDmiWUQF7
Right next to Amazon and some of the new retail going up. Pretty close to Tewin as well, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOWetal View Post
OK so we will use another landfill at that time. Probably an AI driven electric truck that slashes costs to go much further.
Drivers and fuel are probably just a fraction of the cost.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > General Discussion