HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 5:06 PM
Planet Ottawa and beyond

The pattern of coloured panels in the elevations make it look a bit like a giant stack of shipping containers. Maybe that's the modular building block they're going to be using

Last edited by rocketphish; Jul 25, 2020 at 2:41 AM. Reason: Typo

Old Posted Aug 22, 2020, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proof Sheet View Post
They'll need a Michaels and a Swiss Chalet and a buffet restaurant as well
Maybe that Michaels location - I'd prefer Wallacks returning to Orléans instead - ought to be in the Place?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 1:26 PM

Drove by yesterday - looks like construction has begun on the retirement home. Tower Crane is up as well.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 2:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orleans_man View Post
Drove by yesterday - looks like construction has begun on the retirement home. Tower Crane is up as well.
Tower crane? More like a low-rise crane. Very disappointed this is moving along. I was hoping to see an entire redesign with towers and mid-rises.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 3:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.OT13 View Post
Tower crane? More like a low-rise crane. Very disappointed this is moving along. I was hoping to see an entire redesign with towers and mid-rises.
Hoping the rest of this development is better as well. I think this particular development is using 1 of the 6 parcels available from what I remember. With the access to the LRT and the 174, I see this site as being very desirable for future development. So hopefully it's not wasted.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2023, 3:47 PM

I think having a retirement home here is a great idea, and will allow seniors to live a more accessible, car-free lifestyle by having close access to the LRT. This reduces the feeling of isolation a lot of seniors face and will be a great boost to their quality of life. I don't think every new development needs to be another 27-storey building, and I think this kind of medium density is still a net positive for the area by welcoming new residents in while giving a bit of breathing space and more human scale feeling to the neighbourhood. As someone who lives in the vicinity, I can confirm that this project is only occupying one of the parcels in this area, so there is still plenty of opportunity for more dense development in the neighbourhood. I'll also note that there are a couple of dense high-rises proposed on the south side of Hwy 174 in the Centrum area, and very likely more to come in the coming years within the Place D'Orleans area. Frankly it wouldn't shock me if the mall is eventually redeveloped entirely one day.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Suburbs