HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 3:12 PM

I don't understand why these discussions always come up - "...some other city is better than ours." I have heard this stuff about Phx for the three years I've lived here. But I heard it before that about L.A. for the 15 years I lived there, I heard it about Chicago when I lived there, and I heard it about NYC when I lived there. There's always someone, some group that loves to bemoan what other cities have. I don't see the point.

This is like the "guy in the cubicle one over" who bitches about work every day, day after day, week after week and month after month and year after year. After a few "maybe it's time to move on" replies, it gets pathetic.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 5:56 PM

Amen. I could live virtually anywhere in the world that I wanted to. I'm moving back to Phoenix. I think mayor Gordon said it best when he mentioned that in order to really appreciate the Valley you have to live in New York (or in my case D.C. first). Honestly, most of the natives who put the city down compared to others are, in my experience, people who have spent limited amounts of time in other parts of the country and world. This is not, of course to say that we can't learn from other cities but trying to be "better" then them is stupid, people vote with their feet for Phoenix over New York/Chicago/LA every day (in a normal economy).

Old Posted Aug 5, 2009, 6:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevininlb View Post
I don't understand why these discussions always come up - "...some other city is better than ours." I have heard this stuff about Phx for the three years I've lived here. But I heard it before that about L.A. for the 15 years I lived there, I heard it about Chicago when I lived there, and I heard it about NYC when I lived there. There's always someone, some group that loves to bemoan what other cities have. I don't see the point.

This is like the "guy in the cubicle one over" who bitches about work every day, day after day, week after week and month after month and year after year. After a few "maybe it's time to move on" replies, it gets pathetic.
Very well said. It boggles the mind. If you don't like the city you live in, simply move on. Now, people come up with a million reasons why they "can't" leave. Hogwash. They can. They just aren't willing to make the needed sacrifices so they instead spend their energy whining to the rest of us.

And then there are buffoons like Talton that take the term "blowhard" to unprecedented levels. Talton would have you believe that Phoenix is hell on earth and that we are destined for outright collapse in every conceivable way. He no longer lives here (hallelujah!), but it doesn't stop him from maniacally bashing Phoenix around the clock. How does he live like that? I can only imagine what a sad existence that must be.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:06 PM
BANNED

Well, I totally understand where HX is coming from, especially this time of year. I was just in SD and it's a breathtaking city that really doesn't compare to Phoenix in most any way, except for size. And, if I could afford it, I would live there i a heartbeat. Alas, Phoenix is a much more affordable city and beautiful in it's own right much of the year. It's just hard to see when the nighttime temps drop only into the mid-90s at night.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 3:40 PM
BANNED

Despite the high taxes, real estate, cost of living, ruined economy etc...There is a reason 25 million people live in Southern California and only 4 million in Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 4:46 PM
under the influence...

There's also a reason why only 2 million live in SD, and 4 million live in Phoenix.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2009, 5:25 PM

/\ Land area?

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 5:20 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertex View Post
There's also a reason why only 2 million live in SD, and 4 million live in Phoenix.
Could it be Mexico to the south, Pacific Ocean to the west, huge mountain range/Cleveland National Forest to the east, Camp Pendelton to the north, and canyons/ravines throughout greater SD??

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:20 PM
under the influence...

^^^I'm talking about demand, dummy. If people really wanted to live there, they would find a way to live there, regardless of physical/political constraints.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 7:41 PM

/\ It's all about the benjamins. People would love to live there, but can't afford it.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 9:49 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
/\ It's all about the benjamins. People would love to live there, but can't afford it.
That's it in a nutshell..."Help, I'm trapped in a nutshell!"

Old Posted Aug 10, 2009, 10:33 PM
under the influence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
Yeah, but that doesn't really make any sense either. For the folks who *can* afford it, why don't they? It seems to me that SD has problems attracting the kind of people it should be attracting.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 12:22 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Yeah, but that doesn't really make any sense either. For the folks who *can* afford it, why don't they? It seems to me that SD has problems attracting the kind of people it should be attracting.
because cost of living is higher than wages. san diego what la would be if it werent a piece of shit.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 3:23 PM

Leo, sorry dude, you're kind of pathetic. Have you ever heard of Locus of Control? Either you're in charge of your life or the mean, icky world out there ("I blame it on society") is in control. Clearly, you're the latter. Sad.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 3:51 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevininlb View Post
Leo, sorry dude, you're kind of pathetic. Have you ever heard of Locus of Control? Either you're in charge of your life or the mean, icky world out there ("I blame it on society") is in control. Clearly, you're the latter. Sad.
Huh? You came to that conclusion based off of the land use in San Diego County?

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 4:24 PM

/\ Yeah, I scrolled up to see what you wrote to get kevininlb to come to that conclusion as well and I don't get it either.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2009, 10:59 PM
Skyriser

I think this thread has outlived its useful purpose.

Old Posted Aug 12, 2009, 4:36 PM
BANNED

US Airways, Delta swap slots in New York, DC

by Dawn Gilbertson - Aug. 12, 2009 08:30 AM
The Arizona Republic

US Airways today announced plans to shrink in New York and grow in Washington, D.C. as part of a deal with Delta Air Lines.

The transaction is also expected to bring nonstop service between Phoenix and Tokyo in a few years.

The Tempe-based carrier this morning said it is swapping aircraft landing and takeoff slots with Delta. US Airways plans to transfer 125 pairs of slots at LaGuardia Airport to Delta. In return, Delta will give US Airways 42 pairs of slots at Reagan Washington National Airport. Each pair of slots is good for a round-trip flight.

US Airways also gets the rights to expand to Tokyo and Sao Paulo, Brazil.

The company said the deal is "cash neutral" and that it will improve its profits by more than $75 million a year in part because Washington is a better fit than New York, where it is a small player, and Delta is big and growing. US Airways said in a memo to employees that its Reagan National operations already make money.

The deal will result in the loss of an estimated 300 jobs at US Airways' Piedmont subsidiary, which operates its commuter flights at LaGuardia. It is eliminating 26 commuter destinations out of LaGuardia as a result of the slot transfer.

In Washington, the airline said it expects to add about 100 employees.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Well, of course it makes sense. San Diego's real estate prices are more than twice as high as Phoenix. At least there's some justification there, what with the ocean and the much cooler temperatures (not to mention a real downtown), whereas I have no flippin' idea why Arizona's real estate prices are in turn twice as high as most of the "flyover country" in the midwest (e.g. every major city from Minneapolis to Houston and from Kansas City to Pittsburgh).

Also, San Diego's metro pop. is over 3 million (San Diego County). If you add in Tijuana, which is contiguous to the south, the population would be well over 5 million people.

Although Phoenix has more people (4.3 million compared to 3.2 million), Phoenix also covers more than twice the land area of San Diego, and has the ability to sprawl unfettered in almost all directions. San Diego obviously can't sprawl west due to the ocean.

I have made some of the same exact comments that HX Guy made in this thread. It's sad when a town of 75,000 in the deep south (Asheville, North Carolina) has more pedestrian activity and greater urbanity than Phoenix's giant suburb in search of a city. Yes, I just got back from there last week, and Asheville makes Phoenix look like Yuma.

--don

Old Posted Aug 13, 2009, 1:29 PM
BANNED

^^^ Thank you don, well said.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest