HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:28 AM

10.9MB of wide-angle construction update goodness!

Roamed a bit around downtown Phoenix today for a bit of a construction update...

Last edited by HX_Guy; Aug 7, 2008 at 12:39 AM.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:33 AM
them bones

Awesome. Even the Sheraton looks good!

What lens are you using?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:39 AM
Dbacks baby!

Great job HX. Thanks for the updates.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:44 AM

Great pictures. The core of CPE is really getting up there, and it's only at 15 or 16.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plinko View Post
Awesome. Even the Sheraton looks good!
Yea you know, the Sheraton doesn't look all that bad, especially in person at the street level and looking up. The shades, though they are horrible at actually providing any shade, do add an interesting touch to the building.
The palm trees look nice, but again, they do zero for shade.

I also noticed that there seemed to be some ground floor retail space along 2nd St (back end of the Sheraton). It looked like two separate spaces, would be cool to see some retail go there thought 2nd St is really pedestrian unfriendly so I don't know what the foot traffic would be like...but with the ASU dorms a stone's throw away and the redevelopment of the motel some day...it could change.

Quote:
What lens are you using?
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 12:57 AM

I agree that the Sheraton doesn't look that bad, but there's one thing about it that really bothers me. On the North side, where the roof-line dips down, there is an exposed stairwell or something with a big door in the middle of it. That door reminds me of the Truman Show (movie) every time I see it; when he crashes his boat into the "sky" and then walks out the door. That door should NOT be visible. Oh well.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:06 AM

Location: Country Club Park, Greater Coronado, Midtown, Phoenix, Az
Very nice job, I love wide angle lenses.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:06 AM

The Sheraton is looking good... and the civic space park is going to be awesome! How did you get those pictures of the building in the park? Did they give you a hard hat and vest and let you in? The park is going to be so sweet, and I'm so glad they saved that building and are integrating it. Anyone know what the use of it will be? I hope it's open all the time to the public and not open just sometimes for events or showings or whatever. I hope it is an actual working retail building.

Great update and pictures all around!!! There's a lot going on in our pitiful/awful/worthless downtown.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
The Sheraton is looking good... and the civic space park is going to be awesome! How did you get those pictures of the building in the park? Did they give you a hard hat and vest and let you in? The park is going to be so sweet, and I'm so glad they saved that building and are integrating it. Anyone know what the use of it will be? I hope it's open all the time to the public and not open just sometimes for events or showings or whatever. I hope it is an actual working retail building.

I got the pictures over the fence...and the door was open to the AE England building, so I just snapped a few shots.

I understand the building will be used as ASU offices as well as public restrooms and a cafe in the basement area.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yea you know, the Sheraton doesn't look all that bad, especially in person at the street level and looking up. The shades, though they are horrible at actually providing any shade, do add an interesting touch to the building.
The palm trees look nice, but again, they do zero for shade.
Yeah, why go with palm trees?? For the amount of money they probably spent on those semi-mature palm trees, they could have planted some semi-mature shade trees and instantly that street would be shade heaven.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:19 AM

My only guess is that they are continuing the "theme" of that area...the area surrounding the AZ Center has the same thing going.

It's weird, I hate these...but I love the old palms in the historic neighborhoods, and really they are the same thing.

At the very least, they could plant some real trees between the palms...but nope, this is what we get.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:20 AM

Quote:
I got the pictures over the fence...and the door was open to the AE England building, so I just snapped a few shots.
Ah, for some reason I was flipped around and thought your picture of the interior was looking east from the west side of the building.

Quote:
I understand the building will be used as ASU offices as well as public restrooms and a cafe in the basement area.
Well, that sounds semi cool, but why does the city (or whoever plans/approves these things) seem to want to limit or put a cap on the potential of anything and everything in this city?

Why not make the top floor a cafe/coffee house with street-side outdoor seating. This way the AE England building and the park will look even more pleasing, seeing people sitting out enjoying themselves, and more people walking in and out onto the street. They could put the offices in the basement, and a portion of the top could be restrooms. It just seems like nothing is planned to integrate together (people sitting out, interacting with the street, which in turn will draw people from neighboring buildings better, etc.), and the planners don't seem to want to take any risk, nor want things to live up to their urban potential (I can't put an exact finger on my thoughts, but it is as if they want to avoid things from getting too crowded, which may lead to unruly behavior, or the public doing things outside of "the rules", etc.). Eh, nevermind, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:23 AM
no its not...

I like the shot of The Sheraton reflecting itself

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:30 AM

This is a nice, nice set of photos.

I will not say anything further about Phoenix itself, lest I offend various forumers like John Vanderprick, but those of you who know me know what I'm probably thinking.

--don

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 1:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post

Why not make the top floor a cafe/coffee house with street-side outdoor seating. This way the AE England building and the park will look even more pleasing, seeing people sitting out enjoying themselves, and more people walking in and out onto the street. They could put the offices in the basement, and a portion of the top could be restrooms. It just seems like nothing is planned to integrate together (people sitting out, interacting with the street, which in turn will draw people from neighboring buildings better, etc.), and the planners don't seem to want to take any risk, nor want things to live up to their urban potential
I'm with you on that. It would have been great to have the cafe spill out onto Central Ave, with the light rail going up and such...it would give the impression of a happening place. The way it's set up now, you won't even see the people at the basement level, even if they are sitting outside, from the street level.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 2:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post

I will not say anything further about Phoenix itself, lest I offend various forumers like John Vanderprick, but those of you who know me know what I'm probably thinking.

--don
Your signature suits you well.

Oh and HX, nice photos. Despite Phoenix's shortcomings, there really is a decent amount of new activity happening.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 5:54 AM
this could have been...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Of The Park View Post
I like the shot of The Sheraton reflecting itself
i agree - great shot. excellent photos all.
thanks.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:04 AM
Bring out the cranes...

Nice.
What are those two blue circles use for that are hanging over a building?
4. "99 West" 30-stories 375 FT 2011
5. "Key Bank Tower" 27-stories 351 FT 1976

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:25 AM
BANNED

Nice photos as always, HX. Did I notice some seating along the sidewalk outside the Sheraton? This makes me happy. We're lacking benches downtown. It's nice to sit and people watch.

Old Posted Aug 7, 2008, 6:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don B. View Post

--don
No "lipstick on a pig" or "frosting on a turd" jokes for the 78th time? Those never get old....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest