HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Comcast Innovation & Technology Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 3, 2015, 9:31 PM

I was downtown today and decided to drive by. This project has really come along, especially since core work didn't really start to develop until around February. This thing is going to be frickin' huge. It's just daunting looking at the core size from street level. Also, we can see that steel work is starting to begin.

Also, if you are drive either on 76 West or on Schuylkill Ave. in front of 30th street station, you can see a good majority of the core and the cranes. It's a perfect location to watch it rise. Once this thing rises, it's going to be amazing.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 7:52 AM

012 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

019 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

021 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

022 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

023 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

024 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

025 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 4, 2015, 12:30 PM

I was thinking: when the DNC is in town, it will be approximately 2 years into construction out of a 3.5 year construction schedule. The original Comcast Center began in late January 2005 and opened in June 2008, so just a slightly faster construction schedule than CITC. 2 years into the original construction, in February 2007 (http://phillyskyline.com/archive_0702.htm), concrete had reached 920 feet and looks like steel was at about 775 feet. Obviously, they're different buildings, but this could give us some idea how dominant CITC will already be in the skyline a year from now during the DNC. With FMC finished by then (and I imagine 1919 market too), and other projects like 1601 Vine, Market East, CHOP research tower, riverside, museum towers, dalian, 501 Walnut, probably missing a few here, very far along, the skyline will really be active. I imagine W and SLS will have visible progress but probably won't be tall yet.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 3:11 AM

Update from Building Philly

More photos here:
https://www.facebook.com/BuildingPhilly

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 12:52 PM
BANNED

So the crane on the east side isn't actually bolted into a foundation pad? Is that why someone was saying this crane was a special design? What is the other crane sitting on exactly? Will that part of the building go all the way up or is that one section lower that the rest of the tower? When I went by last week I didn't see the western crane doing anything.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
I was thinking: when the DNC is in town, it will be approximately 2 years into construction out of a 3.5 year construction schedule. The original Comcast Center began in late January 2005 and opened in June 2008, so just a slightly faster construction schedule than CITC. 2 years into the original construction, in February 2007 (http://phillyskyline.com/archive_0702.htm), concrete had reached 920 feet and looks like steel was at about 775 feet. Obviously, they're different buildings, but this could give us some idea how dominant CITC will already be in the skyline a year from now during the DNC. With FMC finished by then (and I imagine 1919 market too), and other projects like 1601 Vine, Market East, CHOP research tower, riverside, museum towers, dalian, 501 Walnut, probably missing a few here, very far along, the skyline will really be active. I imagine W and SLS will have visible progress but probably won't be tall yet.
SLS has above ground garage so once it starts it should be going above ground relatively quickly. I would think that 13 months from now you will have quite a bit of that building done. Hopwefully the Chinatown Tower and 3201 Race will be well underway as well.

Old Posted Jul 6, 2015, 12:57 PM

See post 2141 for a good explanation of how this crane is different/unique in Phila.

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 8:11 PM

The damn good webcam is frozen, phila news cam isn't going to cut it. I need my fix!

Old Posted Jul 7, 2015, 10:27 PM

7/7/2015

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:12 AM

Just got back from the Phila Center for Architecture, which is still displaying the CITC models. Getting ready to post a few pics, but just want to say I'm more confident than ever before that CITC and Comcast1 (what do we call it now?) will complement each other wonderfully. This is one instance in which the whole will definitely be greater than the sum of the parts. I read these comments re: "roof height" or "boring" or "bulky" or whatever else. And I get it. I'm not criticizing those viewpoints (I have my criticisms of each tower; we all do). But I think once this thing goes up it will be impossible to view the towers individually anymore. The pair will be quite impressive. Rant over.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:30 AM

re: elevators / movement:

It looks like there will be six elevators on the west side of the tower, three on each side of the opaque center area seen below. From what I saw, all will be "external" elevators, so to speak, which is to say that they will have crazy views. I saw nothing to indicate the presence of any "internal" or traditional elevators, i.e. those completely enclosed by the core.

Again, I think this vertical movement is really going to add to the dynamism of this tower, particularly as it plays off of Comcast1. Here's another view of the elevators from the northwest, looking southeast:

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:56 AM

6 elevators is too few for a tower of this size. What if they are only for the hotel? It would make more sense since it occupies the higher floors.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:56 AM

re: ground-level urbanism

One area I've been very interested to learn more about with regard to CITC is how the building will meet the street. Comcast1 generally sucks at this. Big time. I'm happy to say that CITC should do very well along Arch Street. It looks like the entire length of the 1800 block of Arch will be open air restaurant/cafe seating (open air in season, at least). Looking east along Arch:

Complete with retractable awnings. Looking southeast:

Arch Street makes out pretty well with CITC. Just a shame that the views across the street, for now anyway, will involve a crappy parking garage. One last look from the northwest:

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 1:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisforreal View Post
6 elevators is too few for a tower of this size. What if they are only for the hotel? It would make more sense since it occupies the higher floors.
To clarify, I was only paying attention to elevators on the west side. No idea about elevators on the other side.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 2:04 AM

Still have to make my way to that exhibit....

Those six glass elevators will run express to the hotel lobby/restaurant on the uppermost floors.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 3:26 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowbat2 View Post
Those six glass elevators will run express to the hotel lobby/restaurant on the uppermost floors.
Yes exactly. The showy exterior elevators are just meant to express up and down hotel guests. So basically the hotel gets 6 elevators total, with all six most likely serving ground floor, lobby floor (top), and each guest room floor.

Go here to see a floor plate view with office elevators:
http://www.fosterandpartners.com/media/1716935/img2.jpg

Old Posted Jul 8, 2015, 4:42 PM
Mr. Technology

Unique Design

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domodeez View Post
But I think once this thing goes up it will be impossible to view the towers individually anymore. The pair will be quite impressive. Rant over.
I agree, they'll effectively be the Center City's 3rd "pair", with Liberty Place and Commerce Square being the other's. I'm not sure yet if I'll view the Cira Complex as "triplets," a "pair", or anything at all.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 11:06 AM

U-Penn 18,
What about the Center Square towers at 15th and Market. They too are a pair.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2015, 1:13 PM

we do have 1 pair or triplets however, Society Hill Towers!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture