HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Shanghai Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Shanghai Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:02 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Superblock developments encourage traffic and do produce a pedestrian hostile environment. Most Chinese cities though are very walkable and these developments, especially in smaller cities, act more like a CBD consolidated into one tower. Hence their size.

Think more on the lines of a trophy tower for each city. Thats why you see these supertalls in places where everything else is 5-10 floors.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 5:24 PM
Khurram Parvaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
i have honesty no clue how to answer this..
Not everything needs a response. Either you witnessed such lunacy that it left you speechless, or something factually mind blowing left you speechless. I am big on education and aim for the latter in anything I do in life.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 10:53 PM
Registered (Nimby Ab)User

Location: At a computer, wasting my life on a skyscraper website
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyscrapersOfNewYork View Post
i have honesty no clue how to answer this..
Don't worry bro i gotchu

The hallmark of Human civilization is our cities. No civilization has ever existed without a city, nor could any civilization in the future. By definition, cities are human habitats, built for humans only, by humans only. Any non-human organism we allow into our cities is solely for our enjoyment, whether it be pets for comfort, parks for aesthetics, or crops and livestock for food. As long as we have been a species, we have instinctively built cities, strictly BECAUSE they eliminate nature and all its inherent risks to our survival.

THEREFORE, a city, BY DEFINITION cannot integrate with nature. If it did, it would immediately cease to be a human-optimized environment and thus cease to be a city.

and THEREFORE, any attempt to integrate the two will always be detrimental to either 1) Nature, 2) Human civilization, or 3) Both. Examples provided below.

1) Attempt is detrimental to Nature but beneficial to Human Civilization: City Parks

Parks are great. Urban greenspaces never cease to be aesthetically pleasing, no matter the city, country, or culture. But the fact is, urban parks are no better for nature than the cities that surround them. In the urban planning process, we decide to allocate patches of the untouched land to parks, to protect them from being cut and developed. All seems well and good...

We then proceed to surround it with buildings, pave it with roads and trails, cut down as much underbrush as possible (and in doing so, immediately eliminate almost all of the area's biodiversity), and bring in grass and flowers and other non-native species that we find aesthetically pleasing. Finally, we create a list of all the native plant species that were eliminated and classify them as "weeds," and hire a park maintenance crew to prevent these "weeds," as well as anything in the kingdom of "fungi" or "insectae" from ever returning to levels that would constitute a healthy ecosystem. Sadly, many city dwellers believe this to be what nature really is.

Yes, it is commendable that Shanghai is attempting to preserve the Pudong forest, but the reality is that there is no longer a Pudong forest. It is gone. Sure, there are a good many remaining stands of trees all over the city, but, as anyone who has spent time in a forest knows, a bunch of trees does not a forest make. I'd be willing to bet good money that more than 90% of the native Pudong forest species are either extinct within a 100 mile radius of Shanghai or extinct entirely.

Again, I am not suggesting in any way that Shanghai's forest preservation efforts are without good reason; it is beautiful, and in urban planning, beauty is a good reason. I am, however, trying to emphasize that there is a huge difference between a stand of trees that is kept for human aesthetic appeal and a pristine old-growth forest that hasn't been tampered with.

2) Attempt is detrimental to Human Civilization but not detrimental to Nature: Isolation from civilization

It is very rare for integration attempts to result in humans having anything but the upper hand. Thoreau and Walt Whitman have tried this, and according to them, it seemed to go reasonably well. But if everyone suddenly decided to live this way, we would essentially be giving up everything we have ever worked for as a species. World population would plummet back down into the tens of millions, and lifespans would plummet back down to 30 years max. Need i go on?

3) Attempt is detrimental to both Human Civilization AND Nature: "Sky City" Concept

Cities are a lot like forests; the best ones are dense, dynamic, and diverse. All three qualities come together in great cities to give them their character and resilience. Density is the catalyst that brings people together, and encourages dynamism through the sharing of ideas and culture. Dynamism is the engine of creativity and innovation. Just as how a forest constantly creates new niches for different species, a good city is constantly creating new niches for culture, business, and industry. Finally, diversity is a wide breadth of environments and experiences; the result of powerful dynamism over the span of many generations. The flourishing of culture, business, and industry that occurs within the ever-changing niches of a dynamic city creates cultural and economic diversity, and ensures economic resilience.

Now imagine a city in the middle of nowhere. This city consists of ten giant, identical, megatall skyscrapers all spread out, connected by some roads and paths. Everyone in this city has pretty much the same view, of trees, horizon, and several other identical buildings. Their offices are identical to their houses, save for the furnishings and color of the walls. Kids go to identical schools with different names. Sometimes they hang out in the parks below, (but they can't see anything down there because of the damn shadows.. and then the park died. the end.) (hehehehehe), or at a friend's apartment. Everyone can spot the tourists and newcomers because they're always asking "What floor is this?" "How do you all tell the difference?" and people respond by saying "137" and "practice, practice."

Now ask yourself if that sounds like a place you'd want to live? Logically it seems to make sense, but emotionally, it feels excruciatingly bland. It has no character. It is a lack of one of the three Ds, diversity, that is to blame here. Sky City, quite unsurprisingly, is not really a city at all, but just a building. There is no diversity of environments and experiences in such a city, no distinct neighborhoods with a distinct feel, no unpredictability. without this diversity, people will find it extremely difficult to start businesses. Why start a pizza place on floor 131 of building 5 when there is already one on floor 79 and another one in the building next door on floor 184? There simply wouldn't be enough niches for businesses to fill. No business will be able to provide anything that a seemingly identical business doesn't already.

Secondly, although the concept is touted as a revolution in urban environmental friendliness, the environmental benefits will be so minuscule as to render them worthless. The reality is, although a bit better, the "Sky City" concept is only slightly less detrimental to nature than any traditional city. Yes, there would be far more greenspace, but it would still be the kind of well maintained, park-like greenspace described above in the first scenario. Even if all the paths and roads were elevated up to 20 meters and the land was left completely to its own devices, the effects would still be worthless. After all, cities only occupy 1% of the earth's land area. Agriculture, by comparison, occupies close to 70% of the earth's land area, most of which was previously forested. Reforesting all of our cities won't make much of a difference when an equivalent area of rainforest continues to be slashed and burned to create farmland every year.

So here it is: Sky City is simply not worth the loss of urban diversity. Building a pre-fabricated supertall building in the middle of a forest and calling it "Sky City" is no different than transplanting a fully-grown giant sequoia tree into the middle of a city and calling it a "Sky Forest". "Sky City" is just as much a healthy city as "Sky Forest" is a healthy forest.

Last edited by jbermingham123; May 26, 2015 at 5:00 AM. Reason: Providing answers to previous questions and closure to the tangential conversation

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 3:53 AM
Community Guy

Pudong (lujiazui) is atrocious to walk around, whereas Puxi is fantastic other than major road crossings.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 26, 2015, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Pudong (lujiazui) is atrocious to walk around, whereas Puxi is fantastic other than major road crossings.
Pudong has the character of a suburban American office park, but with spectactular supertall towers instead of the North American-style 5-storey jobs lining the expressways. Unfortunately that's probably just a function of Pudong coming of age in the PRC's automotive era more than any problems that can be ascribed to supertalls themselves.

An older tower like Empire State Building, for instance, integrates fabulously into the neighbouring streetscape.

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 1:25 AM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Pudong has the character of a suburban American office park, but with spectactular supertall towers instead of the North American-style 5-storey jobs lining the expressways. Unfortunately that's probably just a function of Pudong coming of age in the PRC's automotive era more than any problems that can be ascribed to supertalls themselves.
This is hyperbole. While Lujiazui may not be as nice to walk as parts of Puxi, it's certainly not anything like a North American office park. There are no 'expressways' in Lujiazui, either - Century Avenue is wide, but it's certainly no expressway. Plus there's metro access and a lot of street level retail/restaurants, something that you won't find in a North American office park. The walkability of the area has also been significantly improved over the past 5 years or so (how many times must I repeat myself on this?)

Old Posted May 27, 2015, 2:02 PM

^ OK, maybe I overstated the case a bit but there's no denying that the two sides of the Huangpu are like different worlds when it comes to walkability and built environment generally. Of course, this is due partly to the fact that Puxi is just so good in that regard... it would be tough for anyplace to match it, but Lujiazui doesn't put up a great fight.

I guess what Pudong lacks in rich, dense pedestrian streetscapes it more than makes up for when it comes to amazing supertalls, though.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2015, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE BIG APPLE View Post
This below works.

No it doesn't. The best cities minimize time spent in all modes of transit. No one wants to spend an extra ten minutes walking through a forest to get to work, run their errands, go out, etc., especially in unpleasant climates that will become increasingly inhospitable because of climate change. This method of planning is an anachronism and has been consigned to the dustbin of history by more progressive planners.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 12:36 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 5:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Is that completely? When they will open for public?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 12:04 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Mid to end of Q3. They expect it to be open by the end of summer to the public, with tenants moving in first. Like many of the projects that reach this final state, right now, it looks like they are furnishing it and doing the final interior touches.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:47 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

Wow, that's beautiful. Have we finally reached a point where Lujiazui is completely - or nearly - built out? I only see 1 or 2 cranes in that picture. It hasn't been that crane "free" in over a decade.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Jun 23, 2015, 2:55 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Wow, that's beautiful. Have we finally reached a point where Lujiazui is completely - or nearly - built out? I only see 1 or 2 cranes in that picture. It hasn't been that crane "free" in over a decade.
Its getting there. A lot of construction is on the fringes of Shanghai where apartment blocks are replacing low rise/houses. Similar to a lot of Chinese cities where the colloquially referred "historical structures" are being replaced with housing for the masses. The cycle is slowing down though and construction is not at the pace as it was 5 years ago.

===================

A comparison: 25 years ago versus now:

Credit: http://www.dronestagr.am/shanghai-pudong-skyline/

Old Posted Aug 9, 2015, 9:21 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
This is hyperbole. While Lujiazui may not be as nice to walk as parts of Puxi, it's certainly not anything like a North American office park. There are no 'expressways' in Lujiazui, either - Century Avenue is wide, but it's certainly no expressway. Plus there's metro access and a lot of street level retail/restaurants, something that you won't find in a North American office park. The walkability of the area has also been significantly improved over the past 5 years or so (how many times must I repeat myself on this?)
and on that last note, suburban american office parks have changed a great deal in that time as well. its not the 1970s-80s in america anymore either.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 1:19 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Shanghai Tower by Konrad Shek, on Flickr

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 6:39 PM

I realize that the Shanghai tower is the closest in the photo, but it sure makes Jin Mao tower and Shanghai World Financial Centre look so small.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 1:33 PM

Some good looks of the tower in the new video from On the Roofs.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 2:06 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design-mind View Post
I realize that the Shanghai tower is the closest in the photo, but it sure makes Jin Mao tower and Shanghai World Financial Centre look so small.
It is about 212m taller than Jin Mao and 140m taller than SWFC. I am in awe that this building can make a 420m tall building look small.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 2:31 AM
Ex Houstonian

I used to think the Shanghai World Financial Center was massive, not anymore. Wow is all I can say. I still think the SWFC is a way better looking and designed building, it doesnt get much sexier than that.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 3:24 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
I used to think the Shanghai World Financial Center was massive, not anymore. Wow is all I can say. I still think the SWFC is a way better looking and designed building, it doesnt get much sexier than that.
SWFC would have been sexier with the circle opening.

But we've had that discussion. What works for me is how the buildings play off each other. Each structure gives a better appreciation for the others. Jin Mao is one of my favorite buildings now but it only got there because of SWFC which I thought was an unbelievable building. Now we have Shanghai Tower which is just curvilinear goodness, with the super futuristic looking double curtain wall. Just so much goodness here.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive