HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 9:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc View Post
I don't think that I can take it, 'cause it took so long to bake it, and I'll never have that recipe agaaaaaaaain...

Oh-oh nooooooooo...
Remember the old men playing Chinese checkers by the trees?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
The park itself is better than the commercial areas right around it.
Is Langer's still in business? That's a great deli, catty-corner to MacArthur Park. I haven't been there in a few years, though.

Great photos of Echo Park. I love me some Echo Park. Back in the 90s, it was actually quite a cruisy place at night, with all those DL cholos...

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post
Is Langer's still in business? That's a great deli, catty-corner to MacArthur Park. I haven't been there in a few years, though.
Yes, Langer's is still there. When it's busy, which it often is, you have to wait in line outside. The last time I went, I got to witness someone exposing themselves in public and harassing random women, and another person taking a dump on the sidewalk. Once you get inside, though, same as it ever was.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:30 PM

While Westlake does have some of the dumpiest buildings in LA, it also has some of the most ornate. Some investment recently has cleaned up some of these prewar buildings, returning them to their former glory.

If you are in Westlake during the day, there is nothing to worry about. There are so many people about and the festival like atmosphere of street vendors makes it safe enough. At night, its best to avoid.

LA has many areas that are worse than Westlake (like Skid Row and parts of South LA). The difference is that Westlake has the added benefit of history that makes it a bit more interesting than those other areas.

Echo Park was pretty sketchy only 15 years ago -- proof that areas can improve for the better.

For anyone interested, here's a decent article on the history of MacArthur Park: https://la.curbed.com/2017/1/26/1439...gentrification

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
While Westlake does have some of the dumpiest buildings in LA, it also has some of the most ornate. Some investment recently has cleaned up some of these prewar buildings, returning them to their former glory.

If you are in Westlake during the day, there is nothing to worry about. There are so many people about and the festival like atmosphere of street vendors makes it safe enough. At night, its best to avoid.

LA has many areas that are worse than Westlake (like Skid Row and parts of South LA). The difference is that Westlake has the added benefit of history that makes it a bit more interesting than those other areas.

Echo Park was pretty sketchy only 15 years ago -- proof that areas can improve for the better.

For anyone interested, here's a decent article on the history of MacArthur Park: https://la.curbed.com/2017/1/26/1439...gentrification
Oh yeah, for sure it's not the worst part of LA, and there is SO much potential. The pre-war high rises around there are awesome, and I definitely get the sense it's going to explode with development pretty soon.

I remember Echo Park Lake before the renovation. It was pretty worn down and rough around the edges. Now, I'd say it's one of LA's best public spaces. I absolutely love walking around the lake with my dog, especially on weekends when the park is packed with people. You have guys selling elotes and churros, hipsters and families picnicking, people running and walking, boats out on the lake. It's really a great, quintessentially LA experience. I hope the Silver Lake reservoir can be turned into something similar. I love walking around that, too, but the barbed wire topped fence and concrete of the reservoir really keep that experience from being comparable to that of Echo Park.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prahaboheme View Post
No doubt about that. Highland Park has improved tremendously as well.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edale View Post
I hope the Silver Lake reservoir can be turned into something similar. I love walking around that, too, but the barbed wire topped fence and concrete of the reservoir really keep that experience from being comparable to that of Echo Park.
Silver Lake reservoir could be an incredible public space. I don't even think the reservoir is used for drinking water any more... IIRC it's pretty much local NIMBYs that have kept it fortified so as not to attract too many people from other neighborhoods. The Silver Lake Meadow is nice, though.

Old Posted Aug 9, 2019, 11:41 PM

There are plans to completely redo the Silver Lake reservoir and the surrounding area since its no longer holding our drinking water.

In regards to MacArthur Park.. Koreatown has basically squeezed up the Western edge of the Park and there are several highrises and other rehabs currently under construction next to Lafayette park. On the Eastern Side, Downtown development has basically crept up to the Home Depot, which is 2 blocks from the park. On the Southern side, you have both downtown (LA Live area) and Koreatown encroaching with development and the northern side is also seeing a cleanup and new properties.

LA City has notoriously been HORRIBLE and doing the small things. Maintenance, infrastructure, etc that is just so basic everywhere else is a fucking monumental task here for some reason. You would think the city would have had the foresight to underground the wires surrounding Echo Park Lake when they spend hundreds of millions redoing the lake as well as repaving the streets, tying it into the surrounding neighborhoods with bike lanes and new landscaping... nothing. Everything here is done in a vacuum and it really detracts from the city and urban experience. Until we have a mayor and council-members that understand this, its going to be hard to enhance the pedestrian experience to the level we all hope for.

Old Posted Aug 10, 2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
You would think the city would have had the foresight to underground the wires surrounding Echo Park Lake when they spend hundreds of millions redoing the lake as well as repaving the streets

vintagelosangeles, bryan flood

clkrep.lacity.org/onlinedocs/2009/09-1741_RPT_DWP_03-10-10.pdf

Quote:
San Diego Gas and Electric spends $50 million or 4.5-percent per year by a power revenue surcharge in the City of San Diego.

• The City of Anaheim spends four percent of power revenue on 10 to12 miles per year by an undergrounding surcharge.

• Southern California Edison (Edison) spends $45 million or O.4-percent of power revenues among its 430 cities. The City of Pasadena spends two percent of electric revenues.

• The City of Burbank targets poles on major streets for conversions as its budget allows.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2019, 9:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post

This shot has a desert oasis vibe, nice!

Old Posted Oct 7, 2019, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomorph View Post
This shot has a desert oasis vibe, nice!
Thanks and thanks everyone.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos