HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 16, 2019, 11:32 PM

As a reminder.

Al Levy got his start selling oysters to Metropolitan Opera patrons.

below: Al Levy and his oyster cart. -date unknown-

LAPL

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

LA Times 6/16/1922 via ProQuest via CSULB Library

Levy's Cafe at 6413 Hollywood Blvd. on the left in a detail from

"Hollywood Boulevard near Wilcox" tessa.lapl.org

It was also the location in 1962 where Sonny and Cher laid eyes on each other for the first time at Aldo's Coffee Shop. Here next door to KFWB in 1966.

Facebook - Vintage Los Angeles

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 17, 2019 at 4:39 AM. Reason: typo

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 3:48 AM

Thanks for figuring out the Washington State Building and the fair where it was located. ( 1915 PANAMA - CALIFORNIA EXPOSITION, SAN DIEGO)

I was surprised by how grand the building turned out to be.

I was expecting something much smaller in scale.

The snapshot was very deceiving.

EBAY

A long time ago, I remember seeing a photograph of a large 'Los Angeles County Building' at one of the in-state expositions.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 17, 2019 at 9:07 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
As a reminder.

Al Levy got his start selling oysters to Metropolitan Opera patrons.

below: Al Levy and his oyster cart. -date unknown-

LAPL
Pretty well-dressed for an oyster peddler.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 2:46 PM

A RARE & unique look of a hat cleaning storefront in Los Angeles.

eBay

The address is written in pencil on the reverse side.

348 S. Broadway
Los Angeles

Here's a closer look. It's AMAZING. You can see the men working on hats through the windows.

As you can see, it is located next to the Los Angeles Theater, a vaudeville theater at the time.

At first I thought the sign about the store, and partially hidden by an awning, said 'Wicker Hat Works', but under closer inspection
the first letter isn't a W...........(I thought wicker because of straw boaters)

I imagine panama hats became popular because of the Panama Canal, right? (the canal opened in 1914) If so, that would help in dating the photograph.
It's on my mind because of my recent mention of the two Panama expostions in California (both in 1915).

Seller asking $89.99

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 17, 2019 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 5:16 PM

I think the address on the postcard may be wrong. More likely to be South Spring Street where the Los Angeles Theatre was located at 340 between 1907 and 1911.
It was then renamed the Empress Theatre.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 17, 2019 at 5:56 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 8:46 PM

You're absolutely correct Noir Noir.

Here's an interesting ad (from 1910) that lists the various vaudeville act.

Kenneth McIntyre / Facebook

Initially I thought this was advertising up-coming shows...but I was wrong. All these acts performed in the same show. Holy Toledo!

In this night view, you get a glimpse of the (former) hat cleaning storefront at far left.

losangelestheaters

The Los Angeles Theater's name was changed to the Empress in 1913. (so the hat cleaning photograph is pre-1913)

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 17, 2019 at 9:01 PM.

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks for figuring out the Washington State Building and the fair where it was located. ( 1915 PANAMA - CALIFORNIA EXPOSITION, SAN DIEGO)

I was surprised by how grand the building turned out to be.

I was expecting something much smaller in scale.

The snapshot was very deceiving.

A long time ago, I remember seeing a photograph of a large 'Los Angeles County Building' at one of the in-state expositions.

I wondered about the fate of this fine building(it was torn down in 1935) and where it located. Here's a map of the Exposition...
upload picture via wikipedia

So where is that in the modern topography of Balboa Park, I've outlined it in blue.

gif hoster via Google Maps

Old Posted Sep 17, 2019, 9:32 PM

That's some good sleuthing, Bill.

I'm surprised there are so many of the fair buildings still standing. (I've never been to Balboa Park)

I have a thing for world fairs.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:40 AM

Quote:
That's some good sleuthing, Bill.

I'm surprised there are so many of the fair buildings still standing. (I've never been to Balboa Park)

I have a thing for world fairs.
I was going to say I've never been to the site of a world's fair, but that would be untrue, I've been to Seattle Center many times(I went to gradual school up there). I don't think Balboa Park ever hosted a "world's fair", just exhibitions in 1915 and 1935. I've not been there in probably 25 years, I've been talking with a fellow photog about shooting IR there.

ETA: As far as other exhibitions, the campus of the University of Washington was the site of an exhibition in the early 1900's. I've spent a great deal of time there.

ETA2: Oh, a note of thanks to everyone here, I led a group of photographers though Chester Place and St. James Square this past Sunday giving them little historical tidbits along the way. Most of which I picked up at this here site.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:

eBay

Just following up on a year for the picture. 1910 looks like the best bet going by the CDs. That's the only year the pictured store at
338 South Spring Street throws up hats as the line of business while the Los Angeles Theatre was next door.

Might be Merven T. Peck posing at the door.

rescarta.lapl.org

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Sep 18, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:10 AM

another Ralph's

This photo is on eBay, captioned "Los Angeles - Typical Street Scene" for $15:

eBay

The 1940 CD has a Farmers Public General Market at 6151 W Pico, and also a Ralph's at 6121, so we're looking east on Pico. At least the decorative treatment of the roof line has survived, if you squint hard enough.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 2:46 AM

another roof line

This is an undated Ralph Morris photo captioned:

"Exterior view of Extruders Inc., manufacturers of Garden King hose and plastic extrusions. The company also makes rods, tubes, shapes, packaging film, electrical insulating and tubing."

calisphere.org

No luck in the LA CDs, which is not surprising, given that a 1950 classified ad in the Times places Extruders, Inc. at 8509 Higuera in Culver City. I think the building survived: you can see the little 2-step elevation of the roof line over what was the main entrance in the modern picture as well. It is now the Willow Community School.

GSV

Last edited by Lorendoc; Sep 18, 2019 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorendoc View Post
This photo is on eBay, captioned "Los Angeles - Typical Street Scene" for $15:

eBay

The 1940 CD has a Farmers Public General Market at 6151 W Pico, and also a Ralph's at 6121, so we're looking east on Pico. At least the decorative treatment of the roof line has survived, if you squint hard enough.

GSV

Ralphs at 6125 W. Pico was evidently built in '31 and demolished in '66. Assume it started as "open air" and ended "climate controlled.".

Circa '45
https://tessa.lapl.org/cdm/singleite...otos/id/109563

Free parking.

Assume it started as "open air" and ended "climate controlled." Second floor appears to be decorative and non functional. Wonder if any similar examples of this type of "Ralphs" architecture escaped modernization.

We have previously explored this area. (There was a series of images, some of which were from a rooftop perspective.)

~1933
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/44486

Unimproved area at Pico and La Cienega included links known as the Pico Fairway.

Looking NE toward Carthay theater.

https://waterandpower.org/C%20Histor...enega_1933.jpg

~1935

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...ll170/id/75895

"Hokum Plumbing" 4709 W. Pico; 860 N. Highland (later at 400 N. Beverly Dr., BH) Related to John Hokum, Plumber at 106 E 9th St., per the 1904 CD?

Last edited by Godzilla; Sep 18, 2019 at 4:35 PM.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla View Post
Assume it started as "open air" and ended "climate controlled." Second floor appears to be decorative and non functional. Any similar examples of this type of "Ralphs" architecture escape modernization.

This example at the corner of Van Ness & Redondo Beach Blvd. is certainly not a survivor as it was built around the year 2000 but are the decorative square turrets, complete with Spanish tile roofs, an homage to Ralphs architectural heritage?
GSV

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 4:29 PM

Quote:

eBay

The address is written in pencil on the reverse side.

348 S. Broadway
Los Angeles

Here's a closer look. It's AMAZING. You can see the men working on hats through the windows.

As you can see, it is located next to the Los Angeles Theater, a vaudeville theater at the time.

At first I thought the sign about the store, and partially hidden by an awning, said 'Wicker Hat Works', but under closer inspection
the first letter isn't a W...........(I thought wicker because of straw boaters)

I imagine panama hats became popular because of the Panama Canal, right? (the canal opened in 1914) If so, that would help in dating the photograph.
It's on my mind because of my recent mention of the two Panama expostions in California (both in 1915).

Seller asking $89.99
M Flicker Hat Works was located at two locations at different times. In 1907 they were at 218 S. Franklin and in 1919 they were at 348 S. Broadway. At some point there may have been a store at 316 W. 7th. This building is now a GNC The establishment was run by a Michael Flicker who was born in Austria in about 1872.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
M Flicker Hat Works was located at two locations at different times. In 1907 they were at 218 S. Franklin and in 1919 they were at 348 S. Broadway. At some point there may have been a store at 316 W. 7th. This building is now a GNC The establishment was run by a Michael Flicker who was born in Austria in about 1872.
Michael Flicker's hat shop sure did move around. Here's where I've found it in the CDs:

1908-1913
435 S Main

1914-1916
433 S Main

528 S Spring

324 S Broadway

1920/1923
348 S Broadway

The 1922 CD gives this listing:
FLICKER MICHAEL, Importer and Manufacturer of Panama, Manila and Felt Hats, Hats Cleaned, Blocked and Repaired.

Quote:

I found this advert for another hatter in the 1905 CD which clearly promotes Panama hats.

LAPL

From Wikipedia:
The popularity of the hats increased in the mid-19th century when many miners of the California Gold Rush traveled to California via the Isthmus of Panama and Pacific Mail Steamship Company. In 1906, U.S. President Theodore Roosevelt visited the construction site of the Panama Canal and was photographed wearing a Panama hat, which further increased the hats' popularity.
"A man, a plan, a canal, Panama!", but no mention of a hat in the famous palindrome!

Old Posted Sep 18, 2019, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
September, 1907, for the 7th St. location:

LA Herald, 7/19/1907

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 12:14 AM

I see it says "across from Hamburger's"

A husband could have his hat remodeled and cleaned while the Mrs. shopped at Hamburger's (advertised, at the time, as the largest department store on the Pacifc Coast*)

oops. The location mentioned in odinthor's 1907 ad is the location prior to the Hamburger's largest department store. .

Here is the 'new' Hamburger's Department store under construction in 1907 at the southeast corner of Broadway and Eighth Street.

I'm not entirely sure in what direction we're looking in this pic. .... Is this the backside?
(probably a repeat for NLA)...........

jewishmuseumamericanwest

Hmmm, so who lived in the two large houses? ..... They must have been infuriated by the Hamburger's decision to build their behemoth literally in the homeowner's backyards!
I would have been beside myself.

p.s. The Hamburger / May Co. building still stands at 801 S. Broadway.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 19, 2019 at 1:28 AM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2019, 3:37 AM

Quote:
I see it says "across from Hamburger's"

A husband could have his hat remodeled and cleaned while the Mrs. shopped at Hamburger's (advertised, at the time, as the largest department store on the Pacifc Coast*)

oops. The location mentioned in odinthor's 1907 ad is the location prior to the Hamburger's largest department store. .

Here is the 'new' Hamburger's Department store under construction in 1907 at the southeast corner of Broadway and Eighth Street.

I'm not entirely sure in what direction we're looking in this pic. .... Is this the backside?
(probably a repeat for NLA)...........

jewishmuseumamericanwest

Hmmm, so who lived in the two large houses? ..... They must have been infuriated by the Hamburger's decision to build their behemoth literally in the homeowner's backyards!
I would have been beside myself.

p.s. The Hamburger / May Co. building still stands at 801 S. Broadway.
e_r, I believe we're looking from the roof of the Percival Apt. bldg., which was on the west side of Hill St.

1909 Bird's Eye View of L.A. (detail)

More of this area of Hill St. (including the Percival) can be seen at the end of http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal8a.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos