HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
To me it looks like the Drug Store is the Sarno's Bakery in the later day photograph.
Me too.`But of course that puts the earlier drug store at Hollywood Boulevard/Prospect and Vermont rather than Kingswell and Vermont. Also having a little trouble reconciling the window placement on either building with the earlier building.

Update: It appears you're right. The drug store is at Hollywood Boulevard not Kingswell. 1914 Baist shows a commercial building at Hollywood Boulevard but only two smallish residential properties at Kingswell. The Ford touring car appears to have been parked slightly south of Hollywood Boulevard and the 'house' with the sign which can be seen through the windshield would be on the northwest corner of Vermont and Hollywood Blvd.

Last edited by MichaelRyerson; Aug 1, 2019 at 8:08 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 5:21 PM

Lighted Stop Sign

This lighted Stop Sign was apparently in front of the Ambassador Hotel, similar to the sign at the corner by the residence. Must have been more in the area.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 5:51 PM

Monotonous ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Los Angeles Times, April 6, 1913
GoogleSV
It would bore me to drive that beautiful long, narrow and winding drive again and again to get finally to the street or the house.

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Aug 1, 2019 at 9:09 PM.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2019, 8:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Looking a little closer at this slide and the Cinegrill Marquee, it is George Liberace that's playing at the Cinegrill. With the "y" in front of Noell as a clue, there was a Teddy Noell who had a dance orchestra and that may be him appearing at the Cinegrill.

The clue at right center of what was playing at the Chinese Theatre when this photo was taken shows it to be Walt Disney's Fantasia which played the Chinese Theatre in 1963 from Wednesday, February 20, 1963 - Tuesday, April 9, 1963 (7 Weeks) per Kurt Wahlner's Grauman's Chinese website HERE.

The banners proclaiming "Hollywood Salutes Bye Bye Birdie" are interesting. IMDB says the film opened in New York City on April 4th, several days before Fantasia ended it's run at the Chinese, but IMDB says it opened in Los Angeles in June. Maybe they had a premiere for it in April?
Excellent deductions, Martin Pal!

I somehow missed your post earlier. I didn't think anyone had commented on the ad.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:11 AM

I have a fantastic mystery slide for you all this evening.

Here goes!

Los Angeles, June 1972.

eBay

Here's a closer look at the Victorian Era home. ....Is it just me, or does it look like its missing the second story?

Best clue(s): The gas-o-meters. . . . ...and the little cafe.....ummm...and perhaps the three signs on the mint green fence. (possibly a tow truck company?)

Go minions. Go minions. GO!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 2, 2019 at 12:38 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:34 AM

Here's another mystery location.. from that same time period.

Los Angeles, January 1972.

Now I'm hungry for fried chicken.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnarf

"It's not the bright sun that excites me,
That thrills and affrights me, oh no,
It's just the noirness of YOOOOOOO...."
Welcome to the thread Fnarf!

Video Link

Photograph from the video.

YOUTUBE

A bit of Hoagy history.

Curtis Hitch led his band the Happy Harmonists from 1922 to 1927 in Indiana. While playing at Indiana University in Bloomington they met a young law student
by the name of Hoagy Carmichael and recorded two of his songs "Bone Yard Shuffle" and "Wash Board Blues" which were Hoagy's first recordings.
Carmichael joined them at the piano. Curtis Hitch's Happy Harmonists were very much influenced by Bix Beiderbecke and the Wolverines who were playing a lot in Indiana.
Hoagy and Bix became friends when the Wolverines were playing at Indiana University. The Wolverines had recorded Hoagy's song Riverboat Shuffle the previous year.
If you listen to the piano solo in "Wash Board Blues" you recognize it has the theme from Carmichael's later song "Lazybones".

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Aug 2, 2019 at 1:12 AM.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 2:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I have a fantastic mystery slide for you all this evening.

Here goes!

Los Angeles, June 1972.

eBay

Here's a closer look at the Victorian Era home. ....Is it just me, or does it look like its missing the second story?

Best clue(s): The gas-o-meters. . . . ...and the little cafe.....ummm...and perhaps the three signs on the mint green fence. (possibly a tow truck company?)

Go minions. Go minions. GO!
Betcha this be the brick Queen Anne house circa 1890 @ 1030 Macy Street

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Here's another mystery location.. from that same time period.

Los Angeles, January 1972.

Now I'm hungry for fried chicken.

rescarta.lapl.org

Now East Cesar E Chavez Avenue.

Google Maps Street View

Down the street Jack (is still) In The Box.

GSV

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick m View Post
Betcha this be the brick Queen Anne house circa 1890 @ 1030 Macy Street
This?

1030 E. Macy, Los Angeles, Ca, 2019

Currently numbered 1034 E. Cesar Chavez but could be your Queen Anne

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 4:23 AM

Paul Revere and the Raiders at 10050 Cielo Dr., about 1967....front man Mark Lindsay on the far left.

In the new Tarantino film the Raiders are prominently featured on the soundtrack, including their early '67 hit "Good Thing" (the tune also turns up in the trailer)....there is a connection here to the notorious murder house, as the song was written there by Terry Melcher and Mark Lindsay, who lived in the house along with Melcher's girlfriend Candice Bergen in '67-'68....famously, Charlie Manson had been up there pitching his songs to Melcher, that's how Manson knew the house.

Tarantino is well known for his pop culture references, so maybe he was well aware of this....or he just thought it was a good late '60's pop tune, which is certainly true.

I saw the picture the other night, a fine job recreating the Hollywood of the period, punctuated by KHJ air checks featuring Robert W. Morgan, Don Steele etc...about 2/3rds through I thought this is a good film, but in the last act (the events of the carnage night) it goes off the rails somewhat...3 1/2 stars out of 5 for me.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 3:38 PM

I saw the film last Saturday. I liked it. I was totally laughing my head off at the carnage at the end. It really is a "Once upon a time" fairy-tale fantasy film that has a fairy-tale/Hollywood ending. And I found the very ending somehow poignant.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Video Link

Photograph from the video.

YOUTUBE

A bit of Hoagy history.
I'm a big fan of Hoagy. My father was, too.

My father used to tell the following story:

He had just gotten back to LA after serving in World War II. My dad served in the Pacific theater.

He decided to go into a bar to have a drink, and there were only two people inside: the bartender, and a single customer, drinking alone: Hoagy Carmichael.

My dad had a nice long conversation with Hoagy. They talked about Bix and Bing, and their days with the Paul Whiteman Orchestra. If I recall the story correctly, this happened in the afternoon (which is probably why the bar was nearly empty).

Decades later, whenever Hoagy's name would come up my father never failed to mention what a friendly, pleasant fellow he was. Sometimes it apparently is a good thing to meet your heroes.

My father said the bar was on, or nearly on, the corner of Cahuenga and Hollywood Blvd. I wonder which bar it was.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post

Paul Revere and the Raiders at 10050 Cielo Dr., about 1967....front man Mark Lindsay on the far left.

In the new Tarantino film the Raiders are prominently featured on the soundtrack, including their early '67 hit "Good Thing" (the tune also turns up in the trailer)....there is a connection here to the notorious murder house, as the song was written there by Terry Melcher and Mark Lindsay, who lived in the house along with Melcher's girlfriend Candice Bergen in '67-'68....famously, Charlie Manson had been up there pitching his songs to Melcher, that's how Manson knew the house.

Tarantino is well known for his pop culture references, so maybe he was well aware of this....or he just thought it was a good late '60's pop tune, which is certainly true.

I saw the picture the other night, a fine job recreating the Hollywood of the period, punctuated by KHJ air checks featuring Robert W. Morgan, Don Steele etc...about 2/3rds through I thought this is a good film, but in the last act (the events of the carnage night) it goes off the rails somewhat...3 1/2 stars out of 5 for me.

I saw the film last Saturday. I liked it. I was totally laughing my head off at the carnage at the end. It really is a "Once upon a time" fairy-tale fantasy film that has a fairy-tale/Hollywood ending. And I found the very ending somehow poignant.

I saw this last Thursday. I need to see it again because I had too many other things in my head watching it...I was concentrating on timeline things and if they were accurate...and the location shooting aspects of the film and I was comparing what was happening with the Manson characters plotline to that recent two season series Aquarius and such, and some things I was looking for because I'd heard about them weren't in the film, things like James Marsden playing Burt Reynolds or a youtube video I'd seen of some Hollywood Blvd. filming where a red car with large fins had (apparently) crashed into the back of a police car in front of the Pantages...not in the movie. And they spent a month repainting and dressing the Aquarius Theatre (Earl Carroll's) before they filmed it in November last year--not a glimpse of it in the film. So a lot going on in my head besides the plot point.

Then there were things like the recreation of Pandora's Box (recreated in Hollywood on Ivar I believe) and there's a scene of Brad Pitt's character driving by it, with the Capitol Records Bldg. looming behind it. (?) Most people won't know this, but after the 1966 riots on Sunset Blvd. Pandora's Box was closed, so by 1969 it wasn't even around.

However, the film IS called "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" a fairytale/fantasy as South Pasadena writes above, and i'm leaning toward his thoughts on it at the moment.

And talk about SIX DEGREES OF SEPARATION! I'm a couple of degrees from Charles Manson and who knew? Because of a friend of mine and his employment and friendship with some people, for nearly 20 years I've been acquainted with a man named Keith and his wife. Talked to them on many occasions and attended some dinners and a couple functions where we'd chat. I knew he had worked in the music business and knew some celebrity types, but had no idea this person I thought of as some oldish man (though I'm not that much younger than he is) was acquainted with and then became a member of Paul Revere and the Raiders! When I was informed of that only recently I looked up some things about him, which included this on a Facebook page called The Underground Garage:

Paul Revere & the Raiders' lead vocalist Mark Lindsay was living at a luxury home on 10050 Cielo Dr., in Benedict Canyon, California less than a year before actress Sharon Tate moved in and was brutally murdered by members of the Manson "family" along with several of her guests. Also living in the same house at the time with Mark Lindsay, was the Raiders' record producer, Terry Melcher. Mark Lindsay met Charlie Manson and had some encounters during his stay at the home. So, most likely around early to mid-'68, ML moved out, and Terry Melcher remained for a while possibly into early '69 based on what Keith Allison, (who in 1969 joined Paul Revere & the Raiders), told me when he responded to my Facebook question about this matter. Either late '68 or early '69, both Keith and Mark arrived at Cielo for a reason they both can’t recall. It was just the three of them, Keith, Mark and Terry. Keith recalls as he’s leaving he says, “Hey, here comes Dennis Wilson (of the Beach Boys) with a couple guys.” Terry freaks saying he doesn’t want them in the home, let’s go out. The three approach Dennis, and here Keith Allison shakes both Manson and Tex Watson's hands for the only time. Tex Watson was a member of the Manson family who would later take a big part in both nights of the brutal Sharon Tate-LaBianca murders. Keith said they were both creepy as...

Yikes!

You would never think the Keith Allison that I've known ever looked like this and was thought of as a Paul McCartney look-a-like.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
However, the film IS called "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" a fairytale/fantasy as South Pasadena writes above, and i'm leaning toward his thoughts on it at the moment.
I really did like it. I saw it with my partner, and as we were walking out of the theater, I told him that probably the only thing I didn't like about it was I felt they belabored the fact that the Leo DiCaprio character was a washed-up actor; I felt they spent too much time establishing that in the beginning of the film. I'm like 'OK, we get it.' It took me a bit to get into the movie at the beginning for that reason... but once I got into it, I was really into it.

I also kept looking at little details, too... and of course I understand not being able to totally recreate 1969 Los Angeles, but I was kind of disappointed that they couldn't recreate the "shoe-box"-style streetlights that Hollywood Boulevard would have had back then, and the street signs were totally not correct for the period... and then in the film you also see a freeway exit with an exit number... I was like 'noooo!' California didn't start to have exit numbers on its freeways until about 2002. I guess my gut reaction to that was because I kinda liked that California was badass in being the only state without exit numbers until fairly recently.

I read online somewhere that Quentin Tarantino might release another version of this movie, because as you mentioned, so much was cut out for this release, which I assume is also the same version that was shown at this year's Cannes Film Festival. He said the film could have easily been 4 hours.

Also, the film is helping me look back on that era with a different perspective. When I was younger, I felt that the late 1960s was when things started going "downhill" in terms of the look of things and the way LA looked, but maybe it's because now, 1969 is already 50 years ago, and it's now acquired a patina that makes it look like an era lost? I was born in 1970 and when I was a teen, I wished that I was born in 1940, hehe. But now, I'm appreciating the way even the early 1970s looked in LA. I got a kick out of watching this video; it really brought me back. I'm like 'wow, gas stations with full service, and the sound of the bell as you drove over the hose!'

Video Link

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 8:45 PM

Agree with the notion that there were several anachronisms in the picture, the one that jumped out out me was a car on Wilshire in Westwood, among the high rise apartments....clearly, some of the buildings were '80's or later vintage...I would have thought they could have been removed by CGI.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Poundcake Hill had entirely slipped my mind Hoss.

This reminds me of a photograph I have in a file but never posted.

This unidentified hill is somewhere in the Los Angeles vicinity. (judging by the other photographs in the family album)

Mary Hockenberry

It has some semblance to Poundcake Hill. (or maybe this is more of a Bundt )

Jerome - Mama Sept. 1914
Could it be just behind and north of the Griffith Park Observatory?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiracleMile View Post
Could it be just behind and north of the Griffith Park Observatory?
I don't think so, Mt. Hollywood is due north of the Observatory and it's more "pointy".

Last edited by BillinGlendaleCA; Aug 2, 2019 at 11:54 PM.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Poundcake Hill had entirely slipped my mind Hoss.

This reminds me of a photograph I have in a file but never posted.

This unidentified hill is somewhere in the Los Angeles vicinity. (judging by the other photographs in the family album)

Mary Hockenberry

It has some semblance to Poundcake Hill. (or maybe this is more of a Bundt Cake Hill )

Jerome - Mama Sept. 1914
Well, the date 1914 pretty much eliminates Poundcake Hill. This hill looks like Chavez Ravine to me or maybe Bronson Canyon.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2019, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sopas ej View Post

I felt they belabored the fact that the Leo DiCaprio character was a washed-up actor; I felt they spent too much time establishing that in the beginning of the film. I'm like 'OK, we get it.' It took me a bit to get into the movie at the beginning for that reason... but once I got into it, I was really into it.
Well put & I agree.

Quote:

I also kept looking at little details, too... and of course I understand not being able to totally recreate 1969 Los Angeles, but I was kind of disappointed that they couldn't recreate the "shoe-box"-style streetlights that Hollywood Boulevard would have had back then
I remember when those streetlights were installed. Thank god they are gone!

Quote:

Also, the film is helping me look back on that era with a different perspective. When I was younger, I felt that the late 1960s was when things started going "downhill" in terms of the look of things and the way LA looked, but maybe it's because now, 1969 is already 50 years ago, and it's now acquired a patina that makes it look like an era lost?
I recently heard somebody mention 1969 as Hollywood's Golden Era. Please

I was selling the Free Press in front of the Pandora's Box site in 1967 and later on the northeast corner of Hollywood Boulevard and Cherokee Avenue. I was a distributor to the hippies that milled around and sold the paper for fifteen cents. There was a Rexall Drugstore on the corner and I remember the pharmacist came outside one day and took me aside. He asked me to move to another location. He was losing business. I didn't move and he soon closed the drugstore. I still feel guilty about that. 1969 was the beginning of the first downward spiral of Hollywood Boulevard.

That Rexall was once a Sontag drugstore and later a Love's restaurant. That address had many incarnations, but my best memory is sitting at the soda fountain at Rexall and ordering a ten cent Coke in a paper cone with crushed ice in a black plastic hour glass style holder. There were drugstore lunch counters all over Hollywood Boulevard back in the day, as well as ones at Woolworth's and Newberry's.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos