HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 4:56 PM

re: Spruce Goose route

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
Based on the info given in this article and that the starting point was Hughes Airport which was on the south side of Jefferson Blvd, just west of where the 405 now crosses, I would guess that the first shot shows the Spruce Goose traveling west on Jefferson approaching Lincoln Blvd where it would turn south. The terrain certainly looks like the Playa Vista/Ballona Wetlands area.
Good deduction(s) Bristolian. See the photograph that Bristolian describes HERE

Quote:
I would further guess that this shows the Jefferson/Lincoln intersection just before making the left turn onto Lincoln.
Another good deduction! See the photograph HERE.

re: HossC's video.
Quote:
I believe the image seen on the video shows one of the wing sections traveling south on Lincoln and starting up the incline
only a about a quarter of a mile south of Jefferson. Here is an approximate present day view.

GSV

I would map out the route but my photoshop skills are pretty much nonexistent.
......................................................................................................................................................................

Calling Scott_Charles! NLA calling Scott_Charles!

..or anyone else who has the skills....and the time.

I don't have no stinkin' computer skills.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 27, 2019 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 5:31 PM

AND......while we're on the subject.

Here is a mystery intersection, somewhere, along the Spruce Goose route.

As you can see there are plenty of clues.

UNLV

First of all...note that the cross street is one-way. (maybe it still is)

The guy on the right, wearing the white pants, is about to be pick-pocketed!

Here's a closer look at the building on the right.

detail

My kingdom for the name of the restaurant.

This has nothing to do with the location of the intersection....but

The sign(s) clearly shows that Howard Hughes hired the 'Star House Movers, Inc.'.

(the moving signs, no doubt, appear in the other photographs as well)...but this is the first time I noticed them. Duh.

detail

Note- one sign is being installed mid-journey. (the others might have been newly installed as well)

Have we looked into the history of Star House Movers on NLA?
_

Also..here are the markings on the cabs of the two trucks holding the scaffolding.

#53 and #33. I believe they are city trucks, correct?

p.s. I'm not sure what the men on the scaffolding are doing. -any ideas?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 27, 2019 at 6:08 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Lloyd Wright "Jaws" house from TNT.com

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 6:49 PM

Thanks for the information TMSeele!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSteele View Post
Hughes moved The Spruce Goose to Los Alamitos in Nov to test drive his creation.

Unfortunately, [I]Marina Del Rey was an inadequate port because it was not begun to be built until 1954.
undated

Article found HERE

The following photographs are from the Marina Del Rey Historical Society

Let the dredging begin!

Marina Del Rey Historical Society

A closer look at one of the dredgers.

Pacific Dredging Co.

For the larger rocks, Connolly-Pacific was hired. (a division of Pacific Dredging?)

hmmmm...
I am surprised Howard Hughes didn't have some equity in this massive endeavor.
His company...as shown by Handsome Stranger's photograph...was literally next door.

Somewhere in my files I have the 1954 master plan for Marina Del Rey. I'll try to find them.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 27, 2019 at 7:28 PM.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:03 PM

Here's one of several images of the Spruce Goose at porttown.polb.com.

Moving the Spruce Goose wings -- looking east on Seaside Boulevard -- the Cyclone

porttown.polb.com

As you can see from the caption, the wings are heading east in the photo above, and the Cyclone roller-coaster on the Pike is visible in the background. The aerial below is from May 1, 1947, and shows the Spruce Goose nearly complete in the lower-left corner. I've inset an enlargement under the Pike on the right.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality
What is this squarish building?

See the complete slide again HERE
Quote:
Originally Posted by UphillDonkey View Post
It's some kind of Heating/Cooling plant at 715 W 3rd St
Thanks for answering my question UphillDonkey.

I see that only 1/2 of it was completed when the 1970 slide was taken.

GSV

What is under construction right next to it? (it's a deep deep hole)

GSV

_

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 7:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

What is under construction right next to it? (it's a deep deep hole)

GSV
It's apparently part of The Metro Regional Connector Project. From www.metro.net:
The Metro Regional Connector Project extends from the Metro Gold Line Little Tokyo/Arts District Station to the 7th Street/Metro Center Station in downtown Los Angeles, allowing passengers to transfer to Blue, Expo, Red and Purple Lines, bypassing Union Station. The 1.9-mile alignment will serve Little Tokyo, the Arts District, Civic Center, The Historic Core, Broadway, Grand Av, Bunker Hill, Flower St and the Financial District.
There's more info and a map at the link above.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 9:11 PM

[QUOTE=ethereal_reality;8451072]AND......while we're on the subject.

UNLV

detail

The sign(s) clearly shows that Howard Hughes hired the 'Star House Movers, Inc.'.

(the moving signs, no doubt, appear in the other photographs as well)...but this is the first time I noticed them. Duh.

detail

Note- one sign is being installed mid-journey. (the others might have been newly installed as well)

_

Also..here are the markings on the cabs of the two trucks holding the scaffolding.

The trucks appear to belong to the Los Angeles Transit Lines (L.A.T.L.); the older truck has the old L.A.R.Y. (Los Angeles Railway) lettering on the cab. The newer truck has the L.A.T.L. logo. The men on the scaffolding probably removed the trolley wires, which were in the path of the Spruce Goose.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2019, 11:44 PM

I can't find it now, but I read one account that said hundreds of power lines along the route had to be either raised or cut in order for the flying boat to pass.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:00 AM

There's an old blog post at portoflongbeach.blogspot.com which includes the following:
On June 11, 1946, Star House Movers began driving the 160-foot-long wing sections on a 28-mile route to Terminal Island. From the 15th to the 16th, the hull of the plane was moved. Utility companies had to raise or cut 2,300 power and phone lines along the route, which took the hull down Santa Fe Avenue and eventually over the Pontoon Bridge onto Terminal Island.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:21 AM

Unless I overlooked it, I don't believe that, in our recent rash of Spruce Goose postings, anyone mentioned this posting of e_r's from 2013, the old low-lying pontoon bridge (which I've been over many a time) at back center:

Quote:
I just found this amazing photograph on ebay tonight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-Howard...-/121136015114

HUGHES FLYING BOAT, LOS ANGELES HARBOR 1947
__

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 6:01 AM

[QUOTE=59imperial;8451304]
Quote:

UNLV

detail

detail

_

The trucks appear to belong to the Los Angeles Transit Lines (L.A.T.L.); the older truck has the old L.A.R.Y. (Los Angeles Railway) lettering on the cab. The newer truck has the L.A.T.L. logo. The men on the scaffolding probably removed the trolley wires, which were in the path of the Spruce Goose.

I'm reasonably certain that we're looking at the northwest corner of Imperial Hwy. (on which the Goose is traveling) at Hawthorne Blvd. in Inglewood.

Under magnification, the address number above the door of the real estate office is "11333", which yields a location just north of Imperial Hwy. The cross streets which carried LATL tracks in a median strip right-of-way would have been Hawthorne Blvd., Vermont Ave. and South Broadway. The Broadway location was a little lonely in those days, so I think it can be ruled out. As the business shown in the photo failed to tun up in the L.A. City Directories, I lean more toward Inglewood. Those directory listings aren't always definitive, though; so Vermont Ave. still might be a possibility. Unfortunately, very little of the built environment from 1946 remains on those stretches of Hawthorne and Vermont, so contemporary views aren't especially helpful.

Last edited by HenryHuntington; Jan 28, 2019 at 3:58 PM. Reason: Clarity, now that I'm awake and sort of functioning.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSteele View Post
After Kaiser, the aluminum manufacturer withdrew from the project and a Senate hearing on August 6, 1947 (the first of a series of appearances inquiring about questionable ethics), Hughes moved The Spruce Goose to Los Alamitos in Nov to test drive his creation.

Unfortunately, Marina Del Rey was an inadequate port because it was not begun to be built until 1954.
True, but even if Marina Del Rey existed in the 1940s (it didn't) it would have been inadequate. The Goose needed a few miles of taxi room to accelerate slowly & lift off from the water. Only the Harbor area inside the breakwater provided the length needed for safe testing. Even then, the thing barely lifted off, and shook like hell so it was promptly set down, never to fly again. Imagine trying to lift off with a few hundred troops and/or several tanks inside (it was planned as a troop/heavy equipment transport in the war). The thought was that a transport that flew could avoid the danger of U-Boat attacks that ship transports faced. It was slow and possibly underpowered (even with 8 engines) and possibly structurally questionable, at least at full planned load. Amazing that the thing ever became a tourist attraction, for a few years anyway. It was obsolete the day it tried to fly.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:18 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 12:55 PM
BANNED

oldtime radioCD

Mr. Hughes said in front of Congress that if the government didn't stop pestering him, he would leave the US and never return. He eventually did just that.

Hughes was reported to have died on April 5, 1976, at 1:27 p.m. on board an aircraft owned by Robert Graf and piloted by Jeff Abrams. He was en route from his penthouse at the Acapulco Fairmont Princess Hotel in Mexico to the Methodist Hospital in Houston. I remember that day, having heard the report on the radio as a News Flash in the afternoon.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 4:44 PM

Quote:

__
Not city trucks, but wreckers from Los Angeles Transit Lines, successor to Los Angeles Railway, and strong enough to haul a wrecked streetcar back to the shop

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post

I'm reasonably certain that we're looking at the northwest corner of Imperial Hwy. (on which the Goose is traveling) at Hawthorne Blvd. in Inglewood.

Under magnification, the address number above the door of the real estate office is "11333", which yields a location just north of Imperial Hwy. The cross streets which carried LATL tracks in a median strip right-of-way would have been Hawthorne Blvd., Vermont Ave. and South Broadway. The Broadway location was a little lonely in those days, so I think it can be ruled out. As the business shown in the photo failed to tun up in the L.A. City Directories, I lean more toward Inglewood. Those directory listings aren't always definitive, though; so Vermont Ave. still might be a possibility. Unfortunately, very little of the built environment from 1946 remains on those stretches of Hawthorne and Vermont, so contemporary views aren't especially helpful.
According to the newspaper report posted by Handsome Stranger at the beginning of the Spruce Goose discussion, the route is described as "Sepulveda, Imperial and Crenshaw Blvds to Rosecrans Blvd. and San Pedro St."
This would tend to indicate the Goose was traveling east on Imperial when it crossed Hawthorne and traveling east on Rosecrans when it crossed both Vermont and Broadway. Based on your observation of the 11333 address I agree that this is Hawthorne Blvd. Good eye!
I did look at some UCSB images from around that time and this 1941 shot is as good a look as I could find. It's not very definitive but the layout of the property is a reasonable match. The northwest corner of Hawthorne/Imperial is upper left.
http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_image.../c-7347_20.tif

Last edited by Bristolian; Jan 29, 2019 at 5:26 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:14 PM

Last edited by Handsome Stranger; Jan 29, 2019 at 2:46 AM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 9:41 PM

Here is another 1970 slide that I recently saw on ebay. I believe it was taken by the same person that took THIS SLIDE

EBAY

Where do you think the photographer was standing when he took this pic?

Also too...

I couldn't help but notice this old building that is..somewhat..hanging off the hillside. (if you look closely there's an old house directly behind it)

and this one, that I circled, looks like a mini castle. (it does to me anyway)...but I'm crazy.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 28, 2019 at 9:52 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:00 PM

One more 1970 slide for today.

Rail Yards north of downtown.

EBAY

I don't remember seeing that church before. Also note: the Capitol Mill Co. at far right. > >

Also...at the lower edge of the photo there is an interesting rooftop sign. [close-up below]

note the man walking down the street.

........................................................................................................................................................

The lettering style looks vaguely 'oriental'. At first I thought it was 'China City'...but I don't believe China City is in this immediate area.

Can anyone make out what it says?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jan 28, 2019 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Jan 28, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Here is another 1970 slide that I recently saw on ebay. I believe it was taken by the same person that took THIS SLIDE

EBAY

Where do you think the photographer was standing when he took this pic?
I'm putting my money on the Los Angeles County Department of Health Services building at 313 N Figueroa Street. It was completed around the time of the photo above.

Google Maps

Here's a previous appearance, sadly from just the wrong angle for comparisons.

Detail from image in USC Digital Library

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos