HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:02 PM

That's it, Hoss--I see the banding at the top of the bigger building--

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 2:23 PM

77 Sunset Strip

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3940dxer View Post
GREAT photo, sopas_ej. I had to stare at it for a few minutes before the recognition locked in, but...fascinating. Too bad we can't read the billboards.

How about Dino's? Of course, that was Dean Martin's bar-restaurant on the strip, just a few blocks away at 8524 Sunset. They had a cozy fireplace, a good bar, and superb views. It was actually a pretty great little spot, within walking distance of my WeHo digs back then, and even a nobody like me was made to feel welcome. Man, I'd love to go back there one more time. Good memories. (The menu is dated 1959, well before my time there. )

http://dbase1.lapl.org/dbtw-wpd/exec...=&MF=&MQ=&TI=0

http://martinostimemachine.blogspot....nos-lodge.html
So, at the risk of being repetitive, I have reposted this series of Dino's pics for a reason. One reason is that I still haven't learned how to post my own images (despite the tireless efforts of HossC to tell me how). But I am currently enjoying watching reruns of 77 Sunset Strip on MeTV and I have a favor to ask of you native LA guys who grew up in the city. For a long time I've scoured every site I possibly can to see if either the large neon restaurant sign outside of Dino's or the awning attached to the Mary Hill Davis building (site of the Bailey and Spenser offices) still exist somewhere. I've always wanted both and would pay a pretty penny if either (or both) were stashed somewhere and can be bought. I'm hoping some of you guys may have access to better resources than I do, or may know something of their whereabouts.
I have no idea what I'd do with them, but I wanttttttt them!

Maybe one or both are stored in Roger Smith's garage and Ann Margret is going to hold a yard sale to get rid of them? wishful thinking.

Help me out here, Hoss. I tried to post you a pic of the awning, and I'm sure a better pic of the Dino's sign exists somewhere that you could post for me? Many thanks!

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 3:51 PM

Peerless Laundry

Peerless was at SE corner of Slauson Ave. and So. Main St.. It went out of business in the '50s - and the building was abandoned - in part because of increasing sales of home washing machines. The La Poblanita building is at the SE corner of 58th and Main St.

I grew up on West 58th St near Broadway.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post

Help me out here, Hoss. I tried to post you a pic of the awning, and I'm sure a better pic of the Dino's sign exists somewhere that you could post for me? Many thanks!
Here's a color picture of the 77 Sunset Strip awning.

Alison Martino's "Vintage Los Angeles"

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 6:05 PM

Thank You Hoss!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Here's a color picture of the 77 Sunset Strip awning.

Alison Martino's "Vintage Los Angeles"
Yep, that's the awning all right. Thanks for being so patient with my ineptness, Hoss. I probably don't have any business being on this site since I don't know how to use it properly. Which is probably a relief for everyone else lest I be posting pics and endless comments of 77 Sunset Strip ad nauseum. It's a subject matter near and dear to my heart and maybe only about six other people in the entire word, it seems. Maybe not so nourish LA material.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:00 PM

OK, so here's part 2 of Julius Shulman's photos of 7129 La Presa Drive. As I said yesterday, these are from USC rather than my usual source, the Getty Research Institute. It appears that the house was entered in the 1973 Plywood Design Awards - the set includes an envelope posted to Carl Maston himself. The description says that the house was "the residence of Dr. and Mrs. Krishin Abichandani". I'll start this post with a written overview of the house.

Here's a view of the entrance which we didn't get yesterday. It's framed by two of the spiral columns.

A close-up of the carving by the front door.

The last photograph shows the rear of the house.

I'll finish with a couple of plan views. First, the first floor - it's a shame there aren't any pictures of the wine cellar ...

... and finally, the second floor.

All from USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:10 PM

Catching up

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
).

P.S. I've finally caught up to you all.
Congratulations !
This is a titanic task. I remember catching up at page 535... somewhat exhausted. This is 3 times as much.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
For a long time I've scoured every site I possibly can to see if either the large neon restaurant sign outside of Dino's or the awning (site of the Bailey and Spenser offices) still exist somewhere. I've always wanted both and would pay a pretty penny if either (or both) were stashed somewhere and can be bought. I'm hoping some of you guys may have access to better resources than I do, or may know something of their whereabouts.

I'm sure a better pic of the Dino's sign exists somewhere...
Hey, we all have out own interests, Rustifer; that's what makes the thread interesting!

I've wondered if the Dino's sign still was around, perhaps at MONA or something. Here's a couple photos I saw recently online.

Something "for the night people" ...a daytime shot. Looks like hot weather to me. Dated 1969.

VLA

Something a little more moist and refreshing. c.1966.

Tumblr
I believe the tumblr poster added his name, Andreas Stasiak, to the photo.
You can glimpse the red "Sea Witch" blade sign down the street.

This next photo was taken in 1977. The "Dean Martin" diamond shaped neon part of the sign has been replaced by some sort of creature on a shield
shape. So the whole sign is not intact. Several online posters have asked what happened to the sign, but I haven't located any answers to that question.

Vintage Everyday

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 7:58 PM

^^^

What year was the Petersen Bldg. at Sunset and La Cienega built and shouldn't it be in the second photo above? Even on a rainy day it should still be visible.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2017, 10:28 PM

Did you know that it was recently LA LA LAND Day in Los Angeles?

The celebration included Live Jazz Performances, Mayor Garcetti performed as well, on the piano, and there was a presentation by the
Bandaloop Aerial Dancers performing to the La La Land film music.

Here's a brief video of the "Another Day of Sun" section:

Video Link

Here's the whole performance, I believe, but the sound is not very good:

Video Link

In related news:

'La La Land' Inspires Hermosa Beach to Consider Lighting Up Its Pier

The lamps on the pier in La La Land don't really exist, but enough residents liked the film's improvement to lobby the city council to make them a permanent addition. The council has allocated $250,000 to fund the project if it's approved: “If more money is needed, Duclos said the city council would find a way to secure the funds because of the overwhelming community support behind the project,” KABC reported.

Hermosa Beach just celebrated La La Land day on the pier with music, dancing and the prop lights used in the film being installed that evening.

More HERE.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jun 13, 2017 at 3:34 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 1:22 PM

If Only It Still Existed...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Hey, we all have out own interests, Rustifer; that's what makes the thread interesting!

I've wondered if the Dino's sign still was around, perhaps at MONA or something. Here's a couple photos I saw recently online.

Something "for the night people" ...a daytime shot. Looks like hot weather to me. Dated 1969.

VLA

Something a little more moist and refreshing. c.1966.

Tumblr
I believe the tumblr poster added his name, Andreas Stasiak, to the photo.
You can glimpse the red "Sea Witch" blade sign down the street.

This next photo was taken in 1977. The "Dean Martin" diamond shaped neon part of the sign has been replaced by some sort of creature on a shield
shape. So the whole sign is not intact. Several online posters have asked what happened to the sign, but I haven't located any answers to that question.

Vintage Everyday
What great photos, MP! And here I thought I've seen every pic of Dino's ever taken!
Love the reference on the events sign promoting "Breakfast at Dino's 2 a.m.-4 a.m." I wish the heck I was the kid in the red sweater. How dare he walk by the place and not go in! Arrrgghhh!! I also noticed that besides Dino's neon face being swapped out for the emblem, the sidewalk lamps that line the front of the building had grown considerably in girth by 1977. interesting. That emblem, by the way, was on plaques that lined the walls every couple of feet inside the restaurant. A coat of arms, so to speak.

The drive through between Dino's and the building (that served as 77 SS) that led to the parking lot was still intact when I finally made a pilgrimage to LA to visit the site. The Mary Hill Davis building had been torn down by that time and replaced with Tiffany's theater. Dino's was gone by around 1984 so I missed that by a good 10 years, dammit.

The whole block has been replaced by the Milennium Project which are nothing but ugly contemporary condos and store fronts. I'm pretty sure the 77 Sunset Strip / Warner Bros. emblem that was embedded in the sidewalk at 8523 Sunset is probably gone as well. Wonder where that went?

I also spent some time up on Miller Dr. trying to ascertain where the cameraman was situated to shoot the opening credits for the tv series. I would've given my eye teeth to have had an apartment or house there overlooking the Strip. Unfortunately between 1958-1963 I was in my early teens, so no chance of that. By the time I was old enough (and had the money), the ambiance of the block was pretty much gone.

If I were 30 years younger, I would have moved to LA in the late '90's and early 2000's as my company's home office was located in Santa Ana, Orange County. I would fly out once a month (from Indiana) for meetings and always take a day to motor up to LA and tour the Strip. I remember once crossing Sunset in front of Tiffany's to jog over to Mel's Drive-In and dropping my cell phone in the middle of the street and having it run over by a passing car. Surprisingly, the thing still worked!

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 5:38 PM

Excellent sleuthing on the Peerless Laundry snapshot Gaylord Wilshire & HossC!
I would have bet money that it was gone. I only found the second address (that GW mentioned), and missed the correct address entirely.

So good job you two.

The same ebay seller has this snapshot as well. (although I don't know if it's from the same roll of film)

"Old 1943 Photo Cute Teenager Boy Leans on Car Echo Park Los Angeles Home." -snazzy shoes.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Old-...AAAOSwurZZE-Tz

re: lion on jacket. (was a lion the mascot of Lincoln H.S.)

once more/enlarged

ebay

I hadn't noticed the trellis (painted white) at far left. I wonder if it was part of Peerless (break area?)....or a neighbor-

I'm guessing a neighbor (it appears to be over a smallish garage)
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 13, 2017 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:05 PM

I know you guys are probably tired of seeing Wilbur, Fred, Andy & Russ's mugs.

but this snapshot gives a clue to the name of the the garage next door. (there's also an interesting sign farther down the street)

ebay

here's the garage I'm talking about, remember? (from a few days ago)
ebay

but WAIT, that's not all folks.

Here are two, count'em two, 'mystery' locations. (from the sign shop...showing their 'wares', so to speak)

ebay

General Metals Corp., Boyle Ave.

below: Ranier / Tacoma Brewing Co. (this could just be a bottling plant)

ebay

note that there's some sort of 'tower' next door on the left.
__

Have a great afternoon everyone!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 13, 2017 at 6:28 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 6:56 PM

Well, USL was a brand of car batteries--I think the sign says "Auto Electric Service" at top. I thought I might have found the building at at 1409 S Santa Fe, Coon's Auto Electric in this period...but no.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 9:29 PM

It's looks like Photobucket isn't showing any of my large images at the moment (all the ones from the last couple of days are missing anyway) - I hope they'll be back soon! It's also possible that the images in this post won't show - they took a few refreshes to display on my screen. If they don't, please be patient - their blog says they're doing "emergency maintenance".

ETA. My images seem to be displaying normally again, so I've restored them to full size. Apologies to anyone still unable to see them - it's beyond my control.

Remember the fun we had 10 days ago, trying to find the house that Julius Shulman photographed in Midland Meadows?. Well, here's another mystery location in Fullerton. It's "Job 1893: Daniel Dworsky, Sunny Hill Tract (Fullerton, Calif.), 1954". There appears to be a three-figure house number on the post near the entrance, but I can't read the first digit - I think it's ?05.

Again, there's no indication as to whether the interior shots match the exterior.

Here's the only color photo in the set.

All from Getty Research Institute

I found East and West Sunny Hills Roads in Fullerton, but the property websites seem to indicate that Sunny Hills is slightly south of there. My initial searches failed to find the house in the first picture, but I didn't have much time to look. If anyone fancies taking on the challenge ...

Last edited by HossC; Jun 13, 2017 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Resize photos.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 10:40 PM

My guess on the house number is "805." FWIW.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

Here are two, count'em two, 'mystery' locations. (from the sign shop...showing their 'wares', so to speak)

ebay

General Metals Corp., Boyle Ave.
General Metals Corp is listed at 5701 S Boyle Avenue in the CDs from the '30s to the mid-60s. There's no sign of the building today.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2017, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

below: Rainier / Tacoma Brewing Co. (this could just be a bottling plant)

ebay

note that there's some sort of 'tower' next door on the left.
The 1942 CD lists the Rainier Brewing company at 4433 E 49th Street. If that's what e_r's picture shows, then the tower belongs to the Central Manufacturing District Terminal building. I've arrowed what I think may be the Rainier building on this 1957 view. My guess assumes that the white building under the arrow was added after e_r's picture was taken. The 4433 E 49th Street address would be for the opposite end of the building.

Detail from picture in USC Digital Library

Here's a better look at the Central Manufacturing District Terminal building.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The 1942 CD lists the Rainier Brewing company at 4433 E 49th Street. If that's what e_r's picture shows, then the tower belongs to the Central Manufacturing District Terminal building. I've arrowed what I think may be the Rainier building on this 1957 view. My guess assumes that the white building under the arrow was added after e_r's picture was taken. The 4433 E 49th Street address would be for the opposite end of the building.
Thanks for your help Hoss...

but I'm not sure that I'm 100% convinced yet. Even if the photograph was taken on the far right end of the building that you pointed out, the angle of the 'tower' is a bit off (in my opinion)

To me, it seems the building in question (rainier/tacoma) would almost have to be on the opposite side of the street (red line, below)
because we see the side of the Central Manufacturing Warehouse in the original photo (the side that's parallel to the red line)

detail/usc

but I certainly think you're in the right ballpark Hoss.
__

Oh, one more thing: (my Columbo impersonation )

Doesn't the tower appear too close to the end of the building...instead of in the middle where it should be.

detail

Or is it just a matter of perspective?

re: The garage next to the Huntington Park Sign Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Well, USL was a brand of car batteries--I think the sign says "Auto Electric Service" at top. I thought I might have found the building at at 1409 S Santa Fe,
Coon's Auto Electric in this period...but no.

detail

I see what you're saying GW. (does the 'service' you mentioned appear at the very bottom of the sign or directly beneath 'electric'?)

I certainly didn't know USL was a type of car battery.

& I was just going to mention that the last letter might be a D instead of L
Unless it's just my imagination; there's a spotlight, or something, on the top end of the Delco sign that could be blocking part of the letter.

The lower horizontal part of the L has always looked too curved (upward) to me.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 14, 2017 at 5:21 AM.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2017, 4:58 AM

5693 Spreading Oak Drive, Hollywood

In the lower right corner is 5693 Spreading Oak Drive, built in 1924 according to the LA County Assessor. At the right center edge
is 5694 Spreading Oak, also built in 1924 according to the Assessor. At lower left, I think the dead-end canyon is now Tuxedo Terrace:

"Hollywood Heights, Calif." c. 1920s at CA State Library

Here is 5693 Spreading Oak from the street.

Google Earth view:

Here I've marked 5694 Spreading Oak with a red dot:

Bing

This isn't exactly the same angle as the vintage photo, but you can see Tuxedo Terrace in the little canyon:

Google Earth

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos