HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:44 PM

Really cool about that Garden Court addition being built. I wish they were taking down that laundromat and other one story stuff on 48th street, but hopefully that'll get done in a future addition.

Really excited about the Parkway redesign and Calder Museum, er Sanctuary. I remember getting really excited about it when it was originally proposed 15 or so years ago and then it fell through. His heirs seemed to look down on a Philly museum then in published comments, but I'm glad they changed their mind. Really excited to see the design of it. We need more A+ architecture in this city. The Parkway design is another one that has been kicking around for decades. I recall seeing an intriguing proposal to make Eakins oval into a proper square with crossings at each corner. I hope they go big with the redesign.

Edit: just clicked on the Calder link posted above and that this is the article from last year announcing the project. It's still slated for a 2021 groundbreaking according to the museum's website and the article about the Parkway redesign, but no news about the project.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:46 PM

Mixed-use building going up at 18th & Fairmount

Originally posted here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/grea...elphiaplanners

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 8:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I agree that this is another really good development and the area can really use more density. However I would be hesitant that the neighborhood could be "something" "eventually". The neighborhood for decades has been a center for Philadelphia's Puerto Rican community and I fear that gentrification spilling over from Fishtown will erase that. I am by no means anti development because this location is near the El so can be very dense and adding housing units can actually stabalize rising rents. I wish there could be a way to strengthen the Puerto Rican community while adding the density.
Totally get that! If you haven't check out the guys over at Sunflower Philly on 5th and Cecil B. Great little community spot. The guys there have coordinated some great community clean-up days and events. Also introduced me to some great Puerto Rican food. Love the cultural vibes they give off, and hope they can really become an anchor point for that area.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2021, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin7 View Post
Oh fuck off.
In the 50s and 60s, if these guys lived in NYC, they would have been anti-Jane Jacobs and pro-Robert Moses.

Inga has been an amazing resource for this city. She has educated people and facilitated the conversation about what good development entails. Of course she's not always "right" (they're opinion pieces anyway). But before her, for the longest time, ALL new development in Philadelphia was built with a suburban sensibility.

For years, the attitude was take what you can get. No more.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
In the 50s and 60s, if these guys lived in NYC, they would have been anti-Jane Jacobs and pro-Robert Moses.

Inga has been an amazing resource for this city. She has educated people and facilitated the conversation about what good development entails. Of course she's not always "right" (they're opinion pieces anyway). But before her, for the longest time, ALL new development in Philadelphia was built with a suburban sensibility.

I don't think that's a very fair comparison. Just because I don't agree with every take Inga has shouldn't mean that I would agree with someone who, rather infamously, nearly completely destroyed the urban fabric of New York City, and demolished some of the best buildings to have ever been built in this country.

You don't have to be NIMBY to appreciate preservation, just as you don't have to be YIMBY to appreciate development. These things aren't mutually exclusive.

FWIW I fully agree with you that the development in question is much better for the NE than Bridgeman's would have ever been.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 2:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
There may have been a much more mature way of handling that, no?
I think I responded with an appropriate level of maturity. The Inga bashing on this forum is gross. Make an adult criticism and I'll respond with more maturity.

FWIW, "I agree! She has bad takes!" isn't a statement worth the time it takes to type. Be specific or keep it to yourself.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleetMcDougle View Post
Totally get that! If you haven't check out the guys over at Sunflower Philly on 5th and Cecil B. Great little community spot. The guys there have coordinated some great community clean-up days and events. Also introduced me to some great Puerto Rican food. Love the cultural vibes they give off, and hope they can really become an anchor point for that area.
Neighborhoods aren't static, people get pushed around all the time. Sometimes people get pushed out when prices get to hot, and sometimes people move in when the neighborhood takes a downturn. They can just go up a few more blocks up to allegheny. I say this as a boricua.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2021, 8:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
Yes, Inga is terrible. She has a small loyal following that has convinced her that she is brilliant. And she is brilliant - at spending other people's money and practicing NIMBYism. Her writing makes you laugh, so it does have its entertainment value.
I still don't know what she won a Pulitzer for, but I feel that she is indeed one of the biggest NIMBYs and brownnosers in this city. She does have her good points, but when it comes to major projects, she seems loyal to a major company I won't name here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700 Level View Post
I wouldn't worry about metro area size. I would focus on desirabilty. As Philadelphia works its way back to its prior level of density, it is becoming a more and more desirable place to be. The Sun Belt Cities, so reliant on the car/highways/strip malls are going to choke themselves to death and be extremely undesirable. They are going to look at (smaller) cities such as Philadelphia and wish they had what we have.
While you wouldn't worry about it, I do. Nowadays, having over a million people within your city limits isn't enough. The desirability nowadays for many Americans seems to be the South and the Southwest, as it seems like the Northeast, the Midwest, and even parts of the West Coast are either stagnant or declining. Atlanta and Miami don't need a million people within their boundaries, the metro areas alone give it some human capital, which is why it'll pass the the Philly MSA and CSA sometime this decade.

Quote:
We NEED a subway down the Parkway.
I feel you!!! I'd still put the blame on the city leaders of the 20th Century for not thinking about building a subway line along Arch St and the Parkway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
I agree that this is another really good development and the area can really use more density. However I would be hesitant that the neighborhood could be "something" "eventually". The neighborhood for decades has been a center for Philadelphia's Puerto Rican community and I fear that gentrification spilling over from Fishtown will erase that. I am by no means anti development because this location is near the El so can be very dense and adding housing units can actually stabalize rising rents. I wish there could be a way to strengthen the Puerto Rican community while adding the density.
Philadelphia currently has the second largest Puerto Rican and Dominican population only behind NYC. I wish the city leaders would understand that and give more political power and representation at the local and state level but the amount of corruption and cronyism prevents this growing demographic from achieving their fullest potential.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 4:48 PM

Wrong thread.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:18 PM

Quote:
We NEED a subway down the Parkway.
as long as we're dreaming, there should be two subway lines there; both would have stations at Logan Circle and the Art Museum/Eakins Oval, but then they would branch off in different directions. One northwest branch toward Roxborough/Manayunk (which itself could have three branches - Main Street, Ridge Ave, and Henry Ave), and one toward West Philly that would go under Spring Garden Street then turn up Lancaster Ave. That branch could even have a station at the 30th Street district, since it would go under the northern part of the site.
more smelling salts please...

Old Posted Mar 8, 2021, 5:45 PM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoughtcriminal View Post
as long as we're dreaming, there should be two subway lines there; both would have stations at Logan Circle and the Art Museum/Eakins Oval, but then they would branch off in different directions. One northwest branch toward Roxborough/Manayunk (which itself could have three branches - Main Street, Ridge Ave, and Henry Ave), and one toward West Philly that would go under Spring Garden Street then turn up Lancaster Ave. That branch could even have a station at the 30th Street district, since it would go under the northern part of the site.
more smelling salts please...
Not a dream that City branch tunnel is still in play especially with the Transit plan.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 6:03 AM
Tony V / ValuezTV

Quote:
Originally Posted by el don View Post
Neighborhoods aren't static, people get pushed around all the time. Sometimes people get pushed out when prices get to hot, and sometimes people move in when the neighborhood takes a downturn. They can just go up a few more blocks up to allegheny. I say this as a boricua.
I think this is a bad take even as a person from the community, why move the people when they can be integrated in the neighborhood?

I do understand what you're saying but enough people have been pushed out of places.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 11:54 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post

Yeah, there is a pretty big difference between appreciating that Inga pretty much singlehandedly made space for good architecture in the city's development scene and also pointing out that her takes are around 50/50 straight fire/hot shite with the percentage seeming to favor "hot shite" more and more over time.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 12:59 PM

Inga's career trajectory reminds me of the some of the older sports writers for the Inquirer/Daily News. While they were once the best you could read 20 years ago, the world of sports writing has moved on and they seem like dinosaurs now. Now everyone wants advanced analytics or pithy twitter takes or super in-depth oral histories on the Athletic or whatever. Just not the standard, semi-contrarian two times per week column that they still churn out. Partly old-school sportswriting has been exposed as not nearly as good as we thought when that was all there was, but also tastes have changed - a lot.

Similarly, I don't think Inga is adding all that much to the conversation compared to what you could get on twitter (or this message board or reddit or whatever) where you can get geeked out takes on FAR and zoning reform. Or up-to-the-minute development news. Or better architectural/urban planning takes from real architects, urban planners, transit planners, etc.

Inga's story is just one of many among the decline of the dead-tree daily newspaper industry. I would also add that this is the big drawback of unionized newspapers where you can't easily revamp your workforce to reflect changing times as well as an argument for giving pulitzer prizes (for criticism, at least) at the end of a career, rather than during it.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 2:34 PM

New Hahnemann landlord aims to keep Drexel labs in Philly, as school eyes move to former GSK site in Montgomery County
https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20210309.html

Quote:
Drexel is considering leasing about 300,000 square feet at the Upper Merion site to consolidate medical researchers now spread between the New College Building at 15th and Vine Streets on the former Hahnemann property and at its Queen Lane Campus in East Falls.

Although Drexel’s “long-term” aim is to locate those labs near the school’s main campus in University City, there is no such space in the pipeline for delivery before its Hahnemann campus lease expires in mid-2022
This can be good for the Discovery Labs project, but it still baffles me that we continue to hear about the drastic undersupply of lab space in UC, that's 300k sq ft from one party! Let's get these SY and uCity square buildings off the ground!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova08 View Post
New Hahnemann landlord aims to keep Drexel labs in Philly, as school eyes move to former GSK site in Montgomery County

This can be good for the Discovery Labs project, but it still baffles me that we continue to hear about the drastic undersupply of lab space in UC, that's 300k sq ft from one party! Let's get these SY and uCity square buildings off the ground!
that's a shame. The Hahnemann campus is turning into a nightmare of a dead zone in a part of Center City that desperately needs some energy.

Quote:
“There are other paths if they say ‘No,’ but we are going to try our best to provide them with something that helps them stay in the city,” he said. “We’ve literally said to them: ‘Just tell us what you need.’”
The owner is literally begging for Drexel not to move the labs to the main line. While the rich suburban owners are licking their chops ready to build some office parks.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:30 PM

I don't see why Drexel just doesn't do a short-term extension of their lease until space in University City is available. Sounds like Iron Stone would go for it if only just to give them more time (and cash flow) to figure out what to do next. Going to KOP means it's probably at least a ten year commitment with all of the costs that would go into setting up shop. If you want to be in Philly, why not suck it up and wait two years for the office space in Brandywine's tower.

That being said, the article also mentions Penn is interested in Discovery Labs as well. Seems like they've really got something special going on there and everyone wants to be near it. It's easier for these UC-based institutions to justify going out there because it's a short shuttle away from the NHSL, so you can get there fairly easily from the city. The bright side I guess...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:49 PM

Wrong posting location; Moved to different thread.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:15 PM

Philly L&I approves demolition of Chestnut Street properties that preservationists had tried to protect
Quote:
The landscape near Philadelphia’s famed Jewelers Row could continue to change as the city’s Department of Licenses and Inspections last week gave a green light to demolition for two buildings on the 700 block of Chestnut Street.

The buildings at 730-32 Chestnut St., most recently home to a Christian ministries bookstore and National Watch & Diamond exchange shop, will be cleared to make way for a seven-story building with 42 residential units, city records show.

The move frustrated Justin Brooks, a lawyer who said he paid $1,500 to file a nomination last winter that proposed designating the 600, 700, and 800 blocks of Chestnut Street as a commercial historic district to be called the Chestnut Street East Historic District. Becoming a historic district would have given the buildings there — most of which were built between 1809 and 1965 — special protections against demolition.

Quite frankly, shame on the Inky for using a photo of the incorrect buildings. Regardless about how anyone feels about these buildings on here, it's either a really dumb mistake, or incredibly disingenuous of them to do this.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 7:46 PM

Yeah, I'm in favor of protecting jewelers row, and think the Toll Bros demolition is a travesty, but these buildings actually fall outside of the proposed historic district.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development