HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:56 AM
Urbane observer

I'm on a lot of email lists. Not sure when or how I got on FotP's Constant Contact list. I like to hear about some of their events, particularly the Walter Netsch Lectures and the L.A.T.E. Ride.

Because we'd had a substantive discussion a few days ago about whether FotP would bring a lawsuit over this use of parkland, I thought it was relevant—and informative—to post their press release explaining their position in this thread.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 3:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ithakas View Post
For the love of God, will you and this tired organization shut up?
Seconded. I consider Friends of the Parks to be on par with 9-11 Truthers and anti-vaccine organizations. A decent citizen wouldn't shake the hand of a member. They haven't ever expressed the kind of subject-matter expertise that would warrant even a casual opinion to be seriously considered. When they are gone, hopefully soon, they will be remembered fondly by no one.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIII View Post
Welcome to the forum!

This forum does appreciate opposing viewpoints on development topics. There is a constant discussion on the merits of buildings, their styles, their construction and their interaction and place in the city.

However, a group which uses frivolous lawsuits to glorify themselves and undermine and prevent development in this city isn't going to win any fans on a forum of people who support progress and development.

There are many discussions here to appreciate, but the self-important turd waffles at "friends of the parking lots" deserve every ounce of vitriol they get.
Having just moved away from Hyde Park, I have actually used the running track there a few times. I agree with FOTP that it should have been built in one of the many empty lots in that area. I wonder what the high school will use for practice fields(I say dump some of the golf course). But, I am glad the library is being built in the area. There are so many good cultural institutions in the area that I wouldn't put the MSI in a list of must see places in Hyde Park.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 6:51 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum View Post
Seconded. I consider Friends of the Parks to be on par with 9-11 Truthers and anti-vaccine organizations. A decent citizen wouldn't shake the hand of a member. They haven't ever expressed the kind of subject-matter expertise that would warrant even a casual opinion to be seriously considered. When they are gone, hopefully soon, they will be remembered fondly by no one.
These reactions are bordering on the juvenile. And again even though I need not have to explain myself I am definitely not a fan of the FOTPL's or the impracticality or hypocrisy regarding Lucas/Obama. They obviously just didn't have the stomach to try to challenge and be the impediment to the first Presidential Library of the nations first African American President. Yet the blow back by some here borders on the dogmatic and myopic themselves that borders on trolling and running an authoritarian streak limiting debate of valid concerns about public policy and dog barking at anyone who doesn't join the chorus of their mob. It's actually disgraceful that some who have contributed much less are trying to in fact call for an effective ban of other members who seem to be posting forthrightly, earnestly, and without any seemingly malicious intent merely because they post sober opinions and public information/news that doesn't jive with their narrow narrative. Grow a spine and don't act like a myopic mob. SSP already suffers enough from that in the politics/news section and I would hate to see that seep even into the other forums.

The issues that FOTP bring up are valid. Even if you ultimately don't agree with their position in regard to Lucas or the Obama Library case the issues they tackle are definitely worthy even of debate and public airing. I find it scary the idea that some here seem to insinuate that big power players should have unreserved right to free public park space without critique or address.

Why is it wrong to dare say publicaly that it is regrettable that the Obama's are needlessly using precious park space when there are such great options elsewhere? Why is it beyond the pale to dare suggest that there are other great options for Lucas other then his parking lot with water views he felt entitled to. In both cases it was the setting/views that stoked the ego's of those putting forth the museums. Choices that trumped any concern or regards for present of future park space or really sparking urban renewal and growth in adjacent areas to the fullest potential. Mellody Hobson even had the gall to play the brown/black children card when they deemed only ONE location, far away from any poor black/brown areas , as their only sufficient location in this whole entire city worthy of their edifice. The rest of you find nothing the least bit insulting or bewildering in that? It's sure as heck find it insulting if one dares to take a sober minute to consider that these planet sized ego's basically said that the only way they will lay down their monuments to themselves is if they have their choice of prime public park space from the get go (the threat was there by Obama surrogates before the city announcement and the proceded to make a threat to move it to NYC which was leaked out). At least admit that.

Now if we should cede to them because that is just how the wheel of power and influence rolls and we don't have much choice if we want to receive such "gifts" as a public then so be it. But to spout ALL the outrage at the advocacy groups (who we will very much want and need for other battles after we have haphazardly dismantled them after our mob outrage) all the while the oversize ego's of huge media/political players skate free as they eat up public space when there is plentiful notable alternative private/public lots to ready to be utilized all around this city that would hold absolutely no controversy and would in many regards be even arguably better choices really baffles me. I don't know if its DC partisan/Hollywood worship or what but I would have to agree that if this was say the Bush Library that wanted to eat up part of Grant or Jackson Parks for his library the tone of appeasement would not be so muted. So really are the FOTPL's being the only ones who are hypocritical and arbitrary? Hardly.

Last edited by nomarandlee; Aug 5, 2016 at 7:17 AM.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
These reactions are bordering on the juvenile.
+1

In fact, I signed up after years of lurking just to say I agree with everything you just said. (Except, I am glad Lucas took his high horse elsewhere...)

Is there a refrigerator in this thread? 'Cause some people need to chill the flip out. There has been a lot of hostility in the Chicago threads lately, and it brings the enjoyability way down.

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 4:23 PM
THAT Guy

Here's what Ronan's proposal looked like

Apple spaceship campus-like

Old Posted Oct 30, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
Apple spaceship campus-like
I take an unpopular stance in hating the Apple building but this I like. It has the potential to be quite striking.

I'm sure auto-centric NIMBYs would howl, but they (or the City if this is outside of the center's scope) should consider removing Cornell from the park entirely.

This design is understated, elegant, powerful and addresses its context. Perfect for my favorite president since I was born in 1968.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:36 PM

does anyone think they'll have an issue with all those open public areas beneath the building, given likely security concerns?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:40 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
does anyone think they'll have an issue with all those open public areas beneath the building, given likely security concerns?
Might be why it lost?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
Don't worry, they'll just shackle the entire perimeter of Jackson Park with blast proof planters to keep it secure!

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:44 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardL View Post
I take an unpopular stance in hating the Apple building but this I like. It has the potential to be quite striking.

I'm sure auto-centric NIMBYs would howl, but they (or the City if this is outside of the center's scope) should consider removing Cornell from the park entirely.

This design is understated, elegant, powerful and addresses its context. Perfect for my favorite president since I was born in 1968.

Ronan did not win this commission (although I think this is a beautiful design)....

Old Posted Oct 31, 2016, 4:57 PM

ah, didnt realize this was out of the running

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 3:57 PM

Is there a picture of the winning design?

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 3:58 PM

not selected

Old Posted Nov 1, 2016, 6:29 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baronvonellis View Post
Is there a picture of the winning design?
Tod Williams + Billie Tsien won the competition, but preliminary design has not been released yet. I suspect we won't see something until well after the General election next week.

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 5:31 AM
TL;DR

^ Well, it only took another 6 months, but Crain's is reporting that the preliminary design will be unveiled by the Obamas on Wednesday.

Supposedly it is "modernistic" but not too crazy. Sounds like Williams/Tsien's Barnes Foundation...

Old Posted May 2, 2017, 12:15 PM
Show me the blueprints

^You mean forward looking and progressive but not nearly aggressive and insistent enough, hmm...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:20 PM
Urbane observer

Images from this morning's Obama Foundation event:

Tribune story here.
Design appears to close Cornell Drive through Jackson Park.

Obama Foundation, via Chicago Tribune

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Images from this morning's Obama Foundation event:

Tribune story here.
Design appears to close Cornell Drive through Jackson Park.

Obama Foundation, via Chicago Tribune
This is disappointing to say the least.

Old Posted May 3, 2017, 4:40 PM

The thing looks like something out of Legends of the hidden Temple.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development