HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:02 AM

Crime Statistics

I've been mapping media-reported crime in St. John's for the past 1 1/2 years (2011 and 2012) after having several conversations with people about how most crime in the city actually isn't isolated in any one low-income neighborhood like most people like to assume. The trends actually show this to be the truth. Anyway, It's something I will probably continue in the new year, but I can post the old maps. And I'll probably continue in the new year.

In the mean time, feel free to discuss any trends, concerns with the city's growing problems, and discuss possible ways we can deter crime in our ever growing city.

Crime Map: 2015
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?m...Y.knaTShMvXNHE

Crime Map: 2014
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...08823,0.021136

Crime Map: 2013
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...13143,0.338173

Crime Map: 2012
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...31359,0.338173

Crime Map: 2011 (only partial. I started mid-year and only was able to add data that I could easily find on cbc/vocm)
https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...31408,0.338173

Last edited by Marty_Mcfly; Jan 4, 2015 at 3:53 PM.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:05 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

Brilliant work! I've seen one of these by CBC for Winnipeg, when I lived there. It's wonderful to see it here.

These days, I don't think people really assume that crime only happens in certain neighbourhoods, but I still get the impression many believe the people committing crimes only come from certain neighbourhoods.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:11 AM

I often heard from people "don't go walking in x neighborhood after dark or you'll get mugged." Where x was really any combination of Stabb Court/Buckmaster/Mundy Pond though what I've mapped hasn't really shown that to be the case. Probably just old stereotypes about the neighborhood in general.

If anything, I've shown that you shouldn't be a gas station attendant from Bay Bulls Road in Kilbride up to Hamlyn Road in the west end of St. John's.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:28 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Great maps. At least there is no real concentration of crime downtown on the maps, also no markers in Shea Heights, and not much around Mundy Pond.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 5:44 AM

Wow! I had no idea there were so many stabbings! But only 2 shooting and one homicide by my count. That's good! (The low number, not people being shot/killed)

Was there another murder on Portugal Cove Road by Dairy Queen this year? Something to do with a drug deal gone wrong?? Maybe I'm mistaken.

But the numbers seem pretty low which is good! Except for stabbings, they surprised me!

EDIT: the incident I was talking about is included in 2011. I can't believe it was that long ago! It seems so recent to me!

EDIT II: we had a lot more violent crimes (shootings/homicides) in 2011 than we did in 2012. Just an observation

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 2:04 PM

Was the homicide you had in 2012 the one that turned out not to be a homicide? I didn't think we had any his year.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Was the homicide you had in 2012 the one that turned out not to be a homicide? I didn't think we had any his year.
Whoops, that you are correct. I must take that out of there. Good eye

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:12 PM

On July 10 there was a stabbing two blocks from where I was living. I did not know this until I looked at your map, but I must say, it's unsettling to say the least.

Great work though! It's always interesting to see how crime varies across the city.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:16 PM

I see a lot of "Rape" on your map for 2012, I thought that these were sexual assaults? that can vary extremely with rape being on the extreme end.

Old Posted Jan 1, 2013, 10:28 PM

For a complete picture of neighbourhood crime trends in the city, it'd be nice to get the stats for home invasions and burglaries as well. These often don't get reported in the media but I'm sure the RNC collects stats.

My quiet east end street was recently hit twice in a week by burglars, and further to Signal's point above, the RNC 'got their men' and the perps were not local to us but rather from another, um, 'certain' neighbourhood. I imagine there's a lot of this happening in the city. I'd love to know how much and where.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:44 AM

^I wish the RNC would map and report any crimes that would be of concern to the public, such as spikes in robberies in your neighborhoods. It'd really give the head up to use extra cautions.

----

Anyway, I've started the map for 2013. I'll post the link here along with in first post.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...08214,0.021136

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:47 AM
I ♣ Baby Seals

You'd think the stabbings would be in the news more. Great work, Marty! I am definitely following your map this year.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
^I wish the RNC would map and report any crimes that would be of concern to the public, such as spikes in robberies in your neighborhoods. It'd really give the head up to use extra cautions.

----

Anyway, I've started the map for 2013. I'll post the link here along with in first post.

https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...08214,0.021136
This is a really interesting thread; keep up the good work Marty! I'm looking forward to following this thread throughout the year.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
You'd think the stabbings would be in the news more. Great work, Marty! I am definitely following your map this year.
I'm not sure if the media are trying to keep fear levels low or not. There's really no reason to fear anyway, but getting the word out could help police when a suspect may be at large.

Here's the link to the news article which I should have posted:

Quote:
RNC Investigating Alleged Stabbing

The RNC are investigating an early morning stabbing in the capital city. Police were called about 12:15 to Topsail Road and the victim, a 57-year-old man, was taken to hospital for treatment of what officers describe as a minor injury. The K-9 Unit was called in to assist Forensics and the CID at the scene but no arrests have been made in the case yet.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:18 AM

Very interesting! Nice work

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 3:30 AM

Woah, Just noticed something from your map. From October 31st - Nov 2nd 2012 (a 3 day span) Ten armed robberies occured! Methinks they might be connected..

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townie709 View Post
Woah, Just noticed something from your map. From October 31st - Nov 2nd 2012 (a 3 day span) Ten armed robberies occured! Methinks they might be connected..
Yeah it was one woman on a huge run

Old Posted Jan 4, 2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
RNC seeking information on break and entry, robbery with violence

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary (RNC) is seeking the public’s assistance to identify suspects in relation to a break and entry into a home and robbery with violence in the area of Thorburn Road Thursday.

Around 8:24 p.m., RNC officers, K-9, forensic identification and criminal investigation members responded to the complaint.

Police say at the time of the incident, three residents were at home. Two unidentified males gained entry into the home and left with unconfirmed items. One of the residents received minor stab wounds to the hand and was conveyed to hospital with what are believed to be non-life-threatening injuries. A second resident received minor injuries and a third resident was not injured during the incident.

One male suspect is described as being about six feet tall with a slim face, shaggy dark hair, clean shaven, wearing a dark jacket with a hood. The second male suspect is described as being about six feet tall and having his face concealed.

The RNC said, in a news release Friday, there is no public safety concern as this incident was drug related.

The RNC Major Crime Unit is continuing to investigate and investigators are asking anyone with information to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). People can also provide information anonymously on the N.L. Crime Stoppers website at www.nlcrimestoppers.com. The RNC is also issuing a reminder that anyone in possession of stolen property can be charged criminally under the Criminal Code of Canada.
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...ith-violence/1

Old Posted Jan 5, 2013, 9:35 PM

Quote:
UPDATED: RNC investigate attempted armed robbery in Mount Pearl

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary has released more details about an attempted armed robbery in Mount Pearl overnight Friday.

According to police, a female was just getting to her front door in the area of Munden Drive and Old Placentia Road shortly after midnight when a man approached her.

He demanded that she give him her purse before fleeing the scene. Police report that the woman was not injured during the incident.

The man is described as approximately 30 years of age and 5’11” with a medium build. He was wearing a dark t-shirt and a dark-coloured ski-mask. He reportedly fled in a dark-coloured Grand Am via Old Placentia Road.

The RNC is asking anyone with information about the incident to contact police at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477). Anonymous tips can be provided online at www.nlcrimestoppers.com.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary is investigating a robbery that happened overnight Friday in Mount Pearl.

According to its overnight report, police were called to Mount Pearl at 12:30 a.m. Jan. 5. Police said the suspect(s) fled the scene prior to their arrival. The victim was not injured.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to contact the RNC at 729-8000 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Mount-Pearl/1

Old Posted Jan 7, 2013, 9:17 PM

Possibly homicide number one of the year. I won't update the map saying so until more details are released about the situation.

Quote:
Woman found in park in Mount Pearl dies

A woman, who was found in the Powers Pond area of Mount Pearl in critical condition, has died.

A police source has said there were stab wounds on the woman's body. It's not known whether the wounds were self-inflicted.

RNC officers were called to Powers Pond Park at about 1:48 a.m. on Monday morning, where they found the woman and sent her to hospital in St. John's.

The Royal Newfoundland Constabulary, in collaboration with the office of the Chief Medical Examiner, has cordoned off a trail in the area. Investigators will remain there overnight.

The RNC has called in members of its major crimes and forensic identification units to investigate.

Police are asking anyone who may have information connected to this incident to call the RNC's Major Crime Unit or Crime Stoppers.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfou...l-rnc-107.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's