HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 10:00 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boiseguy View Post
i agree.. I heavily favor the vertical design so that more space is available for gathering.. plus if it's going to be an urban campus it needs to be URBAN… the kind of catalyst this project will be for that side of downtown is enormous...
I go VERTICAL. The only thing (which I sent them on their survey) is classrooms on the end of the parking garage facing the river.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 10:03 PM

I like both the Vertical and the Compass concepts. I like the thought that they are integrating sustainability into the design through the Compass concept. I would suspect that with the Vertical buildings classrooms, labs, and student space would be reserved for the lower floors, with faculty and administrative offices taking up the upper floors.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 3:38 AM
Closed account

Around town

Oct 2,2015
Onenineteen Condos starting to work on condo levels over parking garage:

10 story Marriott on Capital site prep work:

The District on Parkcenter has started framing work.
Simplot HQ and Clearwater continue applying exterior.
JUMP brown bag event at US Bank had no opening date, but check out led lighting from 10th street view.
New building going up at Bown Crossing, and library site is fenced off.

JUMP at night with new LED lighting, so COOL:

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Oct 3, 2015 at 8:05 PM.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2015, 5:53 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

October 3
a morning hike
Boise the Beautiful as witnessed from Table Rock
~the historical sacred smoking and healing ritual grounds for the Shoshone Bannock natives of the Northwest.

Sometime this weekend I will be posting several construction update photos I've taken this past week, including foilage scenes, in my Fall thread.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFTransplant View Post
Something I thought was neat, in October's issue of "Hemisphere's" Magazine (United's magazine), they have a spotlight on Idaho and, in particular, Boise. They did a good job of representing the state and its potential.

One particular interesting note is that some one was quoted saying that Boise will have 850,000 people by 2020. Does anyone here know where that projection came from? Seems awfully high (175,000 people in 5 years).
Those numbers sound like the MSA (i.e. not just Boise incorporated area) and going from 2010 to 2020 to me... I've not seen the article for context though. The City posts around 205k on their signs, American Community Survey on the Census site would have the most recent estimates.

Good to hear Boise getting some press on United!

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:54 AM

S. Capitol bike lane debacle

Gotta love seeing our shiny new S. Capitol bike lane behind the Dunkley's demo/construction fence. I got in touch with both the City building dept. and ACHD on this, basically they'd not even considered talking to eachother over it. So ACHD figured they'd just throw some sharrows down in the right lane. This is the same place where our Fire Chief was hit riding his bike. Idiocy on the parts of our public employees and agencies.

10 story Marriott on Capital site prep work:

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Looks like this area of town, where CWI will be built is the new River North Neighborhood.

https://www.facebook.com/RiverNorthBoise
Looks like an ad for Corridor surf shop and probably the reason why a West End facebook page was started today by the folks that tried getting the food truck lot going off 27th.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 2:59 AM

Incredible. What an anchor that would be for that corner of town. I'd be happy with any three though I like how #1 faces Main the best.

The Communities in Motion 2040 Transportation Planning amendment is before the City Planning commission this coming Monday. I don't think they've considered how projects like this fit in...

Quote:
Here is the link with "fly-throughs" that shows three separate conceptual site designs.

http://www.cwiadacocampus.com/

Old Posted Oct 4, 2015, 3:01 AM

Awesome. Happy they went with these designs. I like all our little projects rather than megablock projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architecture Buff View Post
5th and Idaho

From their www.facebook.com page

Old Posted Oct 5, 2015, 8:22 PM

https://parks.cityofboise.org/news/2...anting-system/

Street trees grow healthier downtown with new silva cell planting system

https://parks.cityofboise.org/media/...ll_362x244.jpg

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 8:06 PM
Closed account

News around downtown:

Sky bridge being installed today at Simplot HQ.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...03#post7188503

Storage units at River and 13th site prep started.

City wants land swap across from CWI site in West End with Local Construct.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2015, 9:38 PM

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/newr...te=1&p=7188507

California brewery to build large production facility in Nampa

Quote:
The sixth largest brewer in California’s beer-soaked San Diego County will open a 40,000-square-foot brewery and tasting room in Nampa next year.

“One of the reasons we chose Boise is it has a fantastic craft beer scene going,” said Love, who founded Mother Earth in 2008. “I want to catch the wave.”

Read more here: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/1...#storylink=cpy

This falls inline with the above headline. The three Northwest states lead the nation in hop production...#1 Washington, #2 Oregon, and #3 Idaho.

http://www.capitalpress.com/Idaho/20...by-almost-1100

Idaho hop acres are expected to be up almost 1,100 acres this year, which would be a 29 percent increase over the 2014 total.

Quote:
WILDER, Idaho — Idaho hop acres are expected to increase significantly again this year, as farmers in the nation’s No. 3 hop producing state respond to continued demand from the craft brewing industry.

Hop producer Brock Obendorf and industry consultant Roger Keske both anticipate Idaho growers will add close to 1,100 acres this year, which would be a 29 percent increase over the 2014 total of 3,812 acres.

“It’s all because of the growth in the craft brewing industry and the new aroma varieties they’re wanting,” Obendorf said.

All the new hop acres in Idaho this year are being planted to the aroma varieties preferred by craft brewers, said Keske, a soil and crop agronomist out of Richland, Wash., who consults on about 2,000 hop acres in Idaho.

Last edited by Cottonwood; Oct 6, 2015 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2015, 5:39 PM
All man. Half nuts.

looks like the Parcel B lot will be sold to Gardner, though there are still some challenges with ITD before the project moves ahead.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2015, 6:28 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:13 AM

Bieter: downtown baseball stadium near Boise State possible: http://www.idahostatesman.com/2015/1...dium.html?rh=1

Like I said earlier, I think the PPP enabling the new Honors College building makes this potentially feasible.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:13 AM

Either I've been out of the loop or KTVB is wrong because as I recall, this hotel was supposed to be either 6 or 7 floors, not 10?? Don't get me wrong, if what KTVB is reporting is true, that height would be a great asset to the downtown skyline. Anyone else know any more details about this?

Edit: I guess OhGoodGlavin and I posted at the exact same time so I didn't see the post before I submitted. I'd be a fan of a baseball stadium, but a combo baseball/soccer stadium similar in design to what the new owners of the Hawks just built in Augusta would be AWESOME downtown.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisenative View Post
Either I've been out of the loop or KTVB is wrong because as I recall, this hotel was supposed to be either 6 or 7 floors, not 10??
PDS still says 6: http://pdsonline.cityofboise.org/pds...id=DRH15-00337

I'm guessing KTVB has it mixed up?

Also, if I had to guess a baseball stadium would include more parking, some retail (food) and maybe (maybe) an on-campus hotel (or would make room for a hotel by removing parking near stadium). Expectation is for the **next** building on Boise State's campus to be Material and Physical Sciences between Engineering and the Rec center. So I think there's more foot traffic likely to be on that side of campus in future years. Somewhat consistent with the campus Master Plan.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:30 AM

In at 500 looks cheap for a luxury hotel. Cheap looking facade materials anyway.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 2:20 PM

Design Review Meeting next week:

http://boisecityid.iqm2.com/Citizens...81&Inline=True

Quote:
DRH15-00339 / KC Gardner Company
Location: 1011 Front Street, 1299 Front Street and 1150 Myrtle Street
Work session to address site specific conditions of approval related to a seven-story, 158,579 square foot, 170 room hotel on the northeast corner of the site; construct a five- story, 84,160 square foot, 130 room hotel on the south east corner of the site and construct an eight-story, 299,584 square foot, 950 parking stall garage on the northwest corner with potential for future residential condominiums above in a C-5DD (Central Business with Downtown Design Review) zone. Sarah Schafer

Old Posted Oct 14, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Is there a pool on the brand yet? I'll put my money on Embassy Suites and a Hilton Garden Inn.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West