HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Roberts Center for Pediatric Research in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 7:56 PM

http://www.chop.edu/export/download/...ting-apr14.pdf

Also to Mappy - love the plan - that would sync well to my Fantasy LRT Map

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichigo View Post
Does anybody know the decision of the planning committee yet? Did phase I get approved?
The latest from Inga's Twitter feed is: "Philly Civic Design Review board demands 10 major changes from CHOP before Schuylkill plan can go forward."

She's been tweeting it all day. https://twitter.com/IngaSaffron

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josef View Post
The latest from Inga's Twitter feed is: "Philly Civic Design Review board demands 10 major changes from CHOP before Schuylkill plan can go forward."

She's been tweeting it all day. https://twitter.com/IngaSaffron
Sounds like they had some good recommendations based on her comments. Let's hope CHOP takes this to heart and does a redesign for the site.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 4:12 AM

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:21 PM

"This is the view of CHOP's Schuylkill River campus plan that the Philly hospital didn't want you to see."

https://twitter.com/IngaSaffron/stat...62347383144448

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 2:46 PM

Quote:
"This is the view of CHOP's Schuylkill River campus plan that the Philly hospital didn't want you to see."

That's it--time to follow Inga on Twitter.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 10:51 PM
Resident Jackass

And what's wrong with that view?

Old Posted Apr 2, 2014, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
Complete disengagement with the street? A blank wall for pedestrians, which enhances feelings of unsafeness, especially at night? Just a few thoughts.

Last edited by josef; Apr 2, 2014 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 1:30 AM

Maybe if you chant a nursery rhyme, the wall opens up and lets you in?

LOL
G.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:03 AM

Quote:

It reminds me of Penn's Class of 1931 Ice Arena, except Penn's building has more texture and windows.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theWatusi View Post
I agree with theWatusi. I thought at first it was blocking someone's view, perhaps "shadows", but I don't see anything that would want the hospital to hide this rendering under a table. I actually think it will pump more life into the area, and make it feel more safe at night for a walker. I drive, and I'm not an expert or a walker, so maybe I'm not seeing it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 2:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I agree with theWatusi. I thought at first it was blocking someone's view, perhaps "shadows", but I don't see anything that would want the hospital to hide this rendering under a table. I actually think it will pump more life into the area, and make it feel more safe at night for a walker. I drive, and I'm not an expert or a walker, so maybe I'm not seeing it.
So I can see why a blankish wall facing the street at the base of any tower is not optimal urban design; it not only disengages the building with the street, taking it out of the urban fabric by actually walling it off from it, creating a mental and physical separation from the neighborhood.

The reason this is suboptimal from a pedestrian perspective, in my mind, is that it has to potential to make the street feel ugly during the day (purely an aesthetic thing, I guess, but I super hate huge blank walls at street level) and unsafe at night. I know I find it sorta creepy at night to be walking in an area with not that many people on the street, up against huge walls someone could be hiding behind. I'm not being overly paranoid, I'm just trying to convey why certain decisions builders make can hurt street life and make an area feel slightly unsafe in my mind. With a door at street level, say, you'd have more eyes on the street because people would be coming and going, and there might be a brightly lit lobby with guards or front desk staff there 24/7.

That said, in this case, I actually feel like I'm missing something. How is that view the first proposed stage of their campus? That view makes it look like you're looking west, with the rest of CHOP in the background, but if you were looking from the river to this building, wouldn't it be on the right? And looking at the first page of this thread, the first phase tower isn't supposed to abut South Street. So, I'm kinda confused here. Maybe this is actually a rendering of the Phase 2 building?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 3:52 PM

Quote:
That said, in this case, I actually feel like I'm missing something. How is that view the first proposed stage of their campus? That view makes it look like you're looking west, with the rest of CHOP in the background, but if you were looking from the river to this building, wouldn't it be on the right? And looking at the first page of this thread, the first phase tower isn't supposed to abut South Street. So, I'm kinda confused here. Maybe this is actually a rendering of the Phase 2 building?
That must be the "parking podium" on which the future Phase 2 building would sit, but which would be built as part of Phase 1 (see page 19):

http://southofsouth.org/sites/southo...lan-phase1.pdf

In any event, that wall clearly would face the elevated approach to the South Street Bridge (unless I'm misinterpreting the rendering), so I'm not sure how much it would affect pedestrian street life, per se (other than aesthetically).

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
That must be the "parking podium" on which the future Phase 2 building would sit, but which would be built as part of Phase 1 (see page 19):

http://southofsouth.org/sites/southo...lan-phase1.pdf

In any event, that wall clearly would face the elevated approach to the South Street Bridge (unless I'm misinterpreting the rendering), so I'm not sure how much it would affect pedestrian street life, per se (other than aesthetically).
Josef, also look at the first page of this thread, and scroll down to the 9th photo, (sorry, I'm not familiar with inserting photos, I usually make errors, so I don't bother..lol) anyway, it shows phase 2's parking podium to be built first, which is part of Phase 1. (which looks to be that wall you're talking about) Phase 1's tower sits farther back, and you're right, there's no security guards at the street or pavement level. I can't guarantee that muggings won't happen here, but what do the people who walk the river walk do at night? It's unsafe anywhere you walk. If you're that afraid, carry mace, or get a license to carry a gun. All kidding aside, Philly is not street friendly, just like any city for that matter.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:51 PM

Quote:
What are you confused about? This the view of the building from South Street bridge facing Southwest. That blank wall facing South Street is the parking podium, it will only be temporary until the 10 story phase two tower is built on top of it. Also, this faces the elevated section of the South Street bridge, so I don't see how this would kill the pedestrian experience. How is this any worse than the AT&T building across the street?

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
What are you confused about? This the view of the building from South Street bridge facing Southwest. That blank wall facing South Street is the parking podium, it will only be temporary until the 10 story phase two tower is built on top of it. Also, this faces the elevated section of the South Street bridge, so I don't see how this would kill the pedestrian experience. How is this any worse than the AT&T building across the street?
Dude, you said exactly what I said in post #73 . . . . . . except you said it better.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Dude, you said exactly what I said in post #73 . . . . . . except you said it better.
Haha! Great minds think alike!

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:16 PM

Thanks guys, I actually didn't realize that the podium for tower 2 would be part of phase 1. CHOP is trying to confuse me, I swear.

Oh i see now. That black strip on the left of the photo, I thought that was the river. But that's a street, maybe Schuykill Ave, isn't it.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Haha! Great minds think alike!
Indeed!

Now, if we can just convince the rest of the world that we have great minds.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
CHOP is trying to confuse me, I swear.
Because it's so much fun!

Quote:
Oh i see now. That black strip on the left of the photo, I thought that was the river. But that's a street, maybe Schuykill Ave, isn't it.
The Schuylkill River's not THAT polluted!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive