HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 9:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegeta_skyline View Post
Imo you guys got burned, at least a little.

Many Pen's fans think Bonino is straight up better then Sutter. I'm not quiet of that opinion. From what I understand Bonino is about on the same level offensively as Sutter, maybe slightly less though I hear he has a pretty good wrist shot but he's more on the softer side. Sutter however, is a possession blackhole. The guy also made Malkin look bad in their time playing together on the same line at even strength. They both produced less then when they were on separate lines and they got scored on more! Makes no sense on the face of it but the numbers reflect that. But to Sutter's credit he's a fairly good PK guy and a decent faceoff man. I can't really say who's the better player since while I've seen a fair bit of Sutter, I haven't seen much of Bonino.

But when you consider that Sutter is going to be a UFA who's probably going to get over paid for his skill set at the end of the year compared to Bonino who's signed for another year at nearly half Sutter's current cost and that Vancouver then added to make the deal happen, I don't see any other way to look at it other than being an overpayment.
There is word (from the Canucks' own Twitter feed) that the contract extension is being worked on right now.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2015, 10:16 PM
Registered User, Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveston View Post
There is word (from the Canucks' own Twitter feed) that the contract extension is being worked on right now.
Well in that case I hope it work's out for you guys and it's a decent term/cap hit, anything more than 4-4.5 would be an overpayment imo.
I'm not a big advanced stats guy but I just found this comparison and found it to be rather interesting;

Sutter

vs Bonino

Last edited by vegeta_skyline; Aug 28, 2017 at 7:24 AM.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2015, 5:18 PM
Community Guy

In addition to our shared season tickets, got the pre-sale today for: Sather in Dec vs. Rangers, final Flames game April 2 and the final game at Rexall vs. Nuks April 6.

Pumped

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 9:08 PM

Quebec City retained for third phase of NHL expansion process

http://www.tsn.ca/quebec-city-retain...ocess-1.349054

Old Posted Aug 22, 2015, 11:25 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
In addition to our shared season tickets, got the pre-sale today for: Sather in Dec vs. Rangers, final Flames game April 2 and the final game at Rexall vs. Nuks April 6.

Pumped
I hope you get your money's worth this year; it's like the 10 "rebuild" year for the Oilers with no hope in sight.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:20 PM

Flames lock up their captain

Quote:
Flames sign D Mark Giordano to a six-year, $40.5M contract extension

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:25 PM

Nice! Flames will have a solid blue line this season.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 4:45 PM
Editor

Nice to see them lock up Gio, even though it wasn't cheap. I guess it's fair price though.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2015, 5:20 PM
arf

^I'd say pretty fair, but pretty long. Probably too long. Which means it is a fair NHL contract given how that seems to go. At least it wasn't 7 or 8 years.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 12:49 AM

For the 4 Western Canadian teams this weekend is the "Young Stars" tournament taking place in Penticton. The Canucks play the Oilers tonight. Our Cassels faces off against Connor McDavid tonight. A rematch of last year OHL championship where Cassels shut down McDavid and knocked his team out. Then went on to win the Memorial Cup.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2015, 10:11 PM

Well that didn't go so well last night. Final score: Oilers lots of goals, Canucks not many goals.

Old Posted Sep 13, 2015, 1:58 AM

Let's hope Virtanen makes the team. McDavid (6'1"/195 lbs) knew the collision was coming and still got rocked.

Video Link

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 4:22 PM
Community Guy

Clap
clap
clap

Rexall Place Walk-Through Metal Detectors
Rexall Place is now equipped with walk-through metal detectors. This equipment will be in operation for all National Hockey League (NHL) events for the 2015-16 season. The installation of this equipment was one of the requirements outlined by the National Hockey League, which stated that all NHL venues were required to have walk-through metal detectors installed by the beginning of this year’s season.

The safety and security of everyone entering our venue is our number one priority and we will work to help ensure the most efficient process possible.

In order to increase the efficiency of this important and necessary process, guests should keep the following in mind before arriving at Rexall Place:

Prior to coming on site, you’re encouraged to minimize the number of personal items you bring to the game, this will decrease entry time for you and other guests.
When you first arrive at Rexall Place, one of our Guest Experience staff will great you and direct you into one of the line-ups.
Prior to getting to the walk-through metal detectors, one of our Security team members will be checking all bags. Currently, all bags and purses are checked and this will remain the case under the new security features.
Once you get to the walk-through metal detectors, please remove any clothing or personal belonging that may trigger the alarm and place them on the side table. This includes keys, wallets, cellphones, coins, purses or bags.
You will then walk through the metal detectors and gather your items on the other side.
If the alarm sounds, you will go through secondary screening, which could include hand held metal detectors and pat downs.
Prohibited items (listed but not limited to):

Weapons – guns - firearms - ammunition
Self Defense Sprays – mace
Explosives
Fuels – torches – lighter fluid
Knives – brass knuckles – billy clubs – black jacks – kubatons
Martial Arts Weapons – night sticks – nunchucks – stun guns/tasers
Tools
Razor Type Blades – box cutters – razor blades – scissors
Alcohol
Animals (unless a service animal)
Bottles or cans
Sealed packages of any kind
Aerosol cans or noisemaking devices
Drones (UAS-Unmanned Aircraft Systems) or other model aircraft
Laser pointing devices
Selfie Sticks or telescopic devices
Hazardous Items – chemicals – paints – thinners
Any other items deemed inappropriate or dangerous by NHL or arena personnel, in their sole discretion
Frequently Asked Questions:

What if I have an implanted electronic medical device (ie: pacemaker) and cannot to go through the walk-through metal detector?
The units have been certified safe for medical devices such as pacemakers or surgical implements. However, if a guest is still unsure about going through the walk-through metal detector, they will be subject to a pat down or hand-held metal detector.

I have mobility challenges and use a wheelchair. Will I have to go through a walk-through metal detector?
At each entrance, there is a barrier-free metal detector for individuals with mobility challenges. These guests may also be subject to hand-held metal detectors.

Will it take longer to get into the building?
While initially wait times for guests may be longer, we know from other venues, over time, wait times will decrease. As guests become more familiar with the process, it will take less time to enter the building.

What if I need to purchase tickets, do I have to go through the security screening first?
If you’re entering the building to purchase tickets at the Ticketmaster outlet, you will not have to go through the walk-through metal detectors until you wish to enter the event.

What if I need to exit the building after I have gone through the security screening?
If you exit the building and re-enter, you will have to go through the screening process again. This includes smokers.

When should I arrive at the venue?
Guests are encouraged to plan accordingly and come to events early especially during the beginning of the season as guests are still learning the proper process for entering the venue with walk-through metal detectors. Doors open 90 minutes prior to game time.

Will I be able to check in prohibited items or will I have to throw them out?
If prohibited items are found in your bag or on your person, you will have the option to throw them out or check them in with one of our security personnel. Prohibited weapons, drugs and alcohol will be turned over to Edmonton Police Services.

Will I need to remove my shoes and belt?
Guests entering the venue will not have to remove their belt or shoes prior to going through the walk-through metal detectors.

http://oilers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?...t%20Management

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:27 PM
arf

Quote:
Any other items deemed inappropriate or dangerous by NHL or arena
I can see this one going bad pretty much week one.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 5:54 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Not really a big deal, they were implemented here in Calgary last season I believe and people adjusted very quickly to them.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:03 PM

It's kind of a pain to have to go through metal detectors as it slows everything down a bit, but yeah not really a big deal.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 6:09 PM
Community Guy

Unnecessary and overthetop ridiculous. Wands at random is plenty.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Unnecessary and overthetop ridiculous. Wands at random is plenty.
You take your stuff out of your pockets hold it up and walk through. You'll set the metal detector off and they may or may not pat you down or pass the wand over your crotch. Not a big deal.

Surprised stabmonton hasn't done it until now.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2015, 11:28 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Not really a big deal, they were implemented here in Calgary last season I believe and people adjusted very quickly to them.
Same in Montreal.

Last year, I went to a game after school and had my schoolbag, and I couldn't enter the Bell Center without leaving it outside... Unattended.

How stupid is that rule honestly?

Old Posted Sep 16, 2015, 12:13 AM
Home of Hyperchange

I always wonder if people actually go to many games with comments like "no big deal", and "people adjusted very quickly". They've been in place for a couple of years now, and while it's not quite the complete shitshow it was for the first few months, it's still an entirely pointless waste of money and time. Getting into the Saddledome now means you stand around for 5-10 minutes waiting, and the staff have over a dozen people whose permanent job seems to be screaming at people telling them how to walk through these infernal things, which side has fewer people on any given night, etc. The Fan Attic locations at the front of the building have seen a massive drop in sales because people no longer have any time to waste - gotta line up, fast! It's even noticeable in terms of how long it takes to actually fill the bowl now. Some games the first period feels like a Leafs game, where everyone's at the bar. Poke your head outside and you see it's just people being delayed. I guess we're supposed to show up 30 minutes earlier than we used to.

The real joke is that I often just leave my keys in my pocket anyway. The thing goes off, the guy asks if I have anything in my pockets, and I say "oops, guess I forgot my keys" and he lets me walk in without a second glance. Foolproof security there.

All to counter a non-existent threat - but welcome to the post 9/11 world. They do manage to confiscate a fair bit of booze this way, which is 50% of the reason they were installed.

I'm sure people will happily defend metal detectors at the mall next. Plenty of damage could be done there after all, if someone sneaks in a gun. What about the Stampede grounds? Bigger crowds show up to the midway on any given day than ever cram into the Saddledome.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada