HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:31 AM
gettin' rich!

88 Scott - 204 meters

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 11:50 AM
Intergalactic Barfly

Awesome... I love seeing 200M towers on the 11-30 list!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 12:51 PM
gettin' rich!

Office Floors are done - Just Mechanical to go now ..

One York - 173 Meters

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 2:30 PM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
Awesome... I love seeing 200M towers on the 11-30 list!
Also, two towers at 194 meters/ one at 196 meters and another at 198 meters.

If only they could have all hit just 200 meters even.. we would have 6 towers on the 11-30 list at 200 meters. (or higher)

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 6:17 PM

The glass One York is really high quality. Unlike it's new neighbor to the south. The RBC tower looks cheap in comparison.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 7:24 PM

I'm very excited for 88 Scott. Definitely one of my fav. proposals in Toronto and I love the mixture of glass and bricks (or stone) from the lower portion of the tower and podium. To me, this is a great tower that looks like it should belong in midtown Manhattan.

Fingers crossed that it does not disappoint!

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 9:52 PM
I am the law!

I'm not convinced and am worried another mediocre 200 metre tower will dot the skyline. Looks like a cheap Manhattan knockoff found throughout the sunbelt.

Old Posted Aug 31, 2015, 9:56 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorontoDrew View Post
The glass One York is really high quality. Unlike it's new neighbor to the south. The RBC tower looks cheap in comparison.
Yep, nice surprise.

Architect must have been in Edmonton right before designing it. The west side is totally CN Tower inspired.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 3:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTSkyline View Post
I'm very excited for 88 Scott. Definitely one of my fav. proposals in Toronto and I love the mixture of glass and bricks (or stone) from the lower portion of the tower and podium. To me, this is a great tower that looks like it should belong in midtown Manhattan.

Fingers crossed that it does not disappoint!
Agreed - I'm excited for this one, and based on the renders, it definitely gets the architecture and cladding right. Good quality and an authentic Manhattan feel

I do sort of hope this is the end of an era though, and that even 88 Scott gets quickly dwarfed in a sea of slim supertalls.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 4:40 AM
Volatile Pacivist

This is the first time I've checked this thread since at least the beginning of the year (more like a whole year likely) and I can't believe how excited I am! Somehow I thought we were in a building lag with the economy and real estate bubble so I assumed most things were on hold, but then I started seeing all these towers I didn't recognise in the post pictures of your city thread and had to investigate. I almost feel like I won the lottery or something.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
This is the first time I've checked this thread since at least the beginning of the year (more like a whole year likely) and I can't believe how excited I am! Somehow I thought we were in a building lag with the economy and real estate bubble so I assumed most things were on hold, but then I started seeing all these towers I didn't recognise in the post pictures of your city thread and had to investigate. I almost feel like I won the lottery or something.
It must be extremely satisfying to be caught off guard like that ! Here in Montreal downtown development rate went from zilch to picking-up-steam over the past few years, and in 2015 reached a fever pitch (by our standards at least) which should be sustained until 2018 at least.

skyscraper development comes in waves here; every 20-30 years a sizable new batch comes along and we're pretty much right in the midst of one such wave. As someone who only became very interested in urbanity and skylines around 2010, I feel like my timing couldn't have been any better. Many of the city's taller towers have either just been built (Altoria, Marriott, Deloitte), or are in the process of being built (Rocabella, TDC, Icone, Avenue, YUL).

5 years ago had I shown these photos to an Montreal SSP or a Mtlurb member, it would have elicited a pants-jizzing 'omg please let this happen' type of response without a doubt. Now we bicker over which of the new towers will be the least mediocre out of the bunch. It's a nice change of pace tbh.

Last edited by leftimage; Sep 1, 2015 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 5:49 AM
gettin' rich!

For all the construction in Toronto, I don't think we have such noticeable Highrise development in the downtown core. Maybe when Southcore was going up, but that's finished. 3 towers being built on Adelaide/ 5 in Southcore, all taller than the stuff in Montreal but will not really make a big impact on the skyline. The rest of the stuff is spread up and down Yonge Street/Bay Street and the other batch in the Entertainment District.

The crane in the skyline shot is the best shot you can get. It means the city is growing and building mass/ or bulking up. When everything is said and done, walking the streets shouldn't feel like a walk in a big box store parking lot. Big towers make the road feel narrow, small amd contained, even if they (towers) are not lined one to the next. I think its a visual illusion, but it makes the city look like it goes on and on.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 6:13 AM
Volatile Pacivist

^ It was in Montreal pictures where I noticed the construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftimage View Post
It must be extremely satisfying to be caught off guard like that ! Here in Montreal downtown development rate went from zilch to picking-up-steam over the past few years, and in 2015 reached a fever pitch (by our standards at least) which should be sustained until 2018 at least.

skyscraper development comes in waves here; every 20-30 years a sizable new batch comes along and we're pretty much right in the midst of one such wave. As someone who only became very interested in urbanity and skylines around 2010, I feel like my timing couldn't have been any better. Many of the city's taller towers have either just been built (Altoria, Marriott, Deloitte), or are in the process of being built (Rocabella, TDC, Icone, Avenue, YUL).

5 years ago had I shown these photos to an Montreal SSP or a Mtlurb member, it would have elicited a pants-jizzing 'omg please let this happen' type of response without a doubt. Now we bicker over which of the new towers will be the least mediocre out of the bunch. It's a nice change of pace tbh.

It's VERY satisfying. I'm just glad I don't have a weak heart!

But yeah, I may actually be more excited about Montreal than i am about Toronto. Mainly because Montreal - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - just needed it more lol.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 AM
gettin' rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
^ It was in Montreal pictures where I noticed the construction

It's VERY satisfying. I'm just glad I don't have a weak heart!

But yeah, I may actually be more excited about Montreal than i am about Toronto. Mainly because Montreal - and I mean this in the nicest possible way - just needed it more lol.
All good, I was actually more excited about Toronto construction about 3/4 years ago when we reached the apex of Skyscraper Construction, things have cooled down since. Waiting for the next peak.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:15 PM
The Fruit of Discipline

Good to see most of the new highrises are office buildings in Montreal, good sign for the economy. Our residential highrise boom seems to be losing steam but the office tower boom seems to be picking up.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:22 PM
More transit please

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Good to see most of the new highrises are office buildings in Montreal, good sign for the economy. Our residential highrise boom seems to be losing steam but the office tower boom seems to be picking up.
They're not though. In the ten buildings over 100m currently U/C in Downtown, only one is an office building (Manulife House). Although the Deloitte Tower was completed earlier this summer, so we can count it as part of the boom.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2015, 2:55 PM
gettin' rich!

Toronto has a few Office Towers on this list

BA2-196 meters
EY - 188 meters
One York - 173 meters

Hopefully one on the top ten lost before the end of the year.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper View Post
I'm not convinced and am worried another mediocre 200 metre tower will dot the skyline. Looks like a cheap Manhattan knockoff found throughout the sunbelt.
Id be impressed with cheap Manhattan knockoff. Unfortunately, it's mostly cheap grey window wall.

Im quite pessimistic and expect a taller version of standard Page and Steele suburban style condos or even somthing as bad as 736 Spadina with lazy faux cornices and all.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2015, 2:44 AM
I am the law!

True. Don't see alot of window wall in the US. I expect a Trump with the typical Page + Steele green glass and precast. The podium is probably curtain wall but, the design is still mediocre.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2015, 10:31 PM
gettin' rich!

Excavation moving fast

Wellesley on Park - 194 meters

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada