HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 5:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
This was just posted on Photos of Los Angeles on Facebook. It's a lovely photograph of The NBC Radio Studio in Hollywood.

Oh, and Jane Mansfield and her daughter, actress Mariska Hargitay.

That's Jayne Marie Mansfield with her mother. The child was born 8 November 1950 and is the older half-sister of Mariska Magdolna Hargitay.

Mariska, then 49, and Jayne Marie on 8 November 2013, Jayne Marie's 63rd birthday:

getty images

Thx HossC for sorting out Larchmont/Lucerne

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 29, 2015 at 5:40 PM. Reason: add image

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 7:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Does anyone recognize the location in this photograph from eBay?
It appears to be along the edge of Bunker Hill (the seller places the date as 1910).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Photo-ca-191...MAAOSwYHxWOsl6

-I find it interesting that the house closest to the camera is so much lower than the other houses.

That said, I sure wish there was more information on this photograph. I'd love to know what organization these fine looking ladies belonged to.
The mesh that covers the horses is also interesting.

__
I believe those nets are to keep flies off of the horses.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
I think that may be Cathedral High School.
Yes, you're correct M_R.

I had Calvary Cemetery on my mind (now the site of Cathedral High School's football field)

http://photos.lapl.org/carlweb/jsp/F...olNumber=76857

originally posted by tovanger2

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12259

I had forgotten all about that reservoir. Have we discussed it?
_

Numerous large photographs of the old Calvary Cemetery here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=12214

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 29, 2015 at 7:57 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 8:22 PM

Originally posted by BifRayRock

1935 - Standard (Chevron) Station, 3063 Crenshaw. (Still there) R.H. Malone, across the street at 3046 Crenshaw.
USCDigital

I found the airline on the boom interesting. I was not aware of such a contraption. In the early '80s I worked at a Chevron Station in El Porto, on the edge of El Segundo. It had a great ocean view.
This is it when it first opened in about 1960

My photo

It is also still there although the prices have gone up a bit
GSV

Last edited by Bristolian; Dec 30, 2015 at 6:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 8:33 PM

I really like that before & after of the service station Bristolian.

Here's an interesting snapshot.

A wagon/carriage with a giant white pipe advertising John's Pipe Shop, 524 So. Spring Street. (or is it 324?)

eBay

reverse

I'm unable to read what's written below Los Angeles. (is it Russian?)
__

Here's the link to the photograph.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-JOHN...4AAOxy63FS5IMH

detail / carriage driver

close-up / address

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 29, 2015 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 9:11 PM

Here's John's Pipe Shop at 524 S Spring Street in 1939. Scanning the CDs, the first appearance of the store is 1913, and it was still at the same address is 1973. There's also a John's Pipe Shop at 6765 Hollywood Boulevard in the more recent CDs, but I don't know if it's connected.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

This is the full picture.

USC Digital Library

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 9:28 PM

My bad. But the photo is nice. And the joke still works.

Sorry for the confusion.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 10:27 PM

It's definitely the best photograph of Jayne Mansfield in my opinion. I'm glad you posted it.
__

Hoss, thanks for locating the photograph of John's Pipe Shop. I wonder where he parked his BIG ol' white pipe?

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
The woman in the middle front row, next to the driver, may be Caroline Severance, the founder of the Los Angeles Friday Morning Club, suffragist and abolitionist.
The Friday Morning Club had its headquarters at 940 S. Figueroa in the 1920's and the second building on the site, a historic landmark, is still there today.
Very interesting info. oldstuff.

Here's 940 S. Figueroa today.

gsv

I found this noirish item while searching for old photographs of the place.*

http://la.curbed.com/archives/2012/1...216d183a00abde

* Yup...it's fake. (it fooled me too )

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 30, 2015 at 1:38 AM.

Old Posted Dec 29, 2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldstuff View Post
Caroline Severance, the founder of the Los Angeles Friday Morning Club, suffragist and abolitionist.
By sheer coincidence, I happened across this rare postcard a few days ago on eBay.

I thought Caroline might be one of the women in this hot air balloon.

eBay

"The Votes for Women Club." Members campaigning at Luna Park, 4th of July, Los Angeles Cali. just before going up in balloon."

#1 Mrs. Bryan, Friday Morning Club
#2 Miss Mary Foy
#3 Mrs. Reitz, Political Equality Club
#4 Mrs. Lafferty of Denver(?)
#5 Mrs. Clara Foltz, Pres. Votes for Women
#6 Mrs. Ruddy, Pres. California Press Club

left border: "Organizations of Suffrage Clubs"

right side: "The women of Cali are making a great campaign. I think they will win."
-Alma(?) V. Lafferty.

Enlarged so you can see the corresponding numbers.

detail

Asking $299.95 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-SUFFRAG...EAAOSwp5JWXOcL
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 30, 2015 at 12:20 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
"The Votes for Women Club" Members campaigning at Luna Park, 4th of July, Los Angeles Cali. just before going up in balloon."
__
Did someone say "Luna Park"?

Luna Park opened in 1911 and closed in 1912.

westland

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post

New ownership in 1899 brought new infrastructure. The old [Washington Gardens] pleasure grounds were developed into 12-acre Chutes Park starting in 1900. By 1901 a baseball park with stadium filled the rest of the site. The two attractions ran concurrently until Chutes Amusement Park (briefly renamed "Luna Park" ) closed ca 1912. Although at least one organization tried to get it going again, all trace of Chutes Park was gone by 1914, replaced by David Horsley's Bostock's Jungle/Horsley Park Zoo and movie studio for making "animal pictures".

When the jungle/zoo/studio closed in 1919 and the stadium moved to Wrigley Field in 1925 (Avalon/41st St/42nd Pl/ San Pedro, south of Santa Barbara/MLK Blvd), a remnant of Washington Park became the "vacant lot" across from the International Mart/Mode O'Day building, which we've seen so many times, with its giant Christmas Tree, Aimee Semple McPherson's parade and, of course, the Auto Show which went up in flames.

.....................................................................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfredmertz View Post
...the photo is nice. And the joke still works...
The photo is wonderful (and I laughed at the joke), I just wanted Jayne Marie to get credit. I was struck how much the newer photo of Jayne Marie looked like her childhood self.

Thx for the post.

Last edited by tovangar2; Dec 30, 2015 at 12:47 AM. Reason: add reply

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 1:17 AM

A couple of screenshots from this short film give a sense of the traffic on and demographics of San Pedro Street down toward Imperial Highway in 1938....

Video Link

A few of the buildings still stand, if not Roth's Market...

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Dec 30, 2015 at 2:55 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:10 AM

El Porto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
In the early '80s I worked at a Chevron Station in El Porto, on the edge of El Segundo. It had a great ocean view.
This is it when it first opened about 1960

My photo
I know that station :-) It's actually in El Segundo on the edge of El Porto.

El Porto (Spanglish or Engliguese for The Port I guess) is just 34 acres and runs N/S between 38th and 45th, with the Pacific and the refinery forming it's other two borders. The streets are numbered, but the alleys have names. Unincorporated county land until 1980 (when it was annexed by Manhattan Beach), it was noir central for the South Bay. The Sheriff's Dept didn't bother patrolling much, b/c who was gonna drive all the way down there for such a tiny patch?

google maps

Anyway, when I was a kid the words "El Porto" could strike terror in a mother's heart. It was supposed to be the vilest den of iniquity ever, where "nice girls" (and boys) never went. I'm told it still has kind of a shady rep.

Billy Haines and Jimmy Shields summered in El Porto for years, a safe place to hold parties and flaunt convention. Safe until 1936 when, it was said, Jimmy got in some trouble that was too much even for El Porto, or maybe it was just used as an excuse to get rid of the Wisecracker.

I learned about prostitution, under-aged drinking, drugs of bewildering variety, gambling, "unnatural behaviors" and even white-slavers from repeated warnings against El Porto. What a bunch of hysteria.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Anyway, when I was a kid the words "El Porto" could strike terror in a mother's heart. It was supposed to be the vilest den of iniquity ever, where "nice girls" (and boys) never went. I'm told it still has kind of a shady rep.

I learned about prostitution, under-aged drinking, drugs of bewildering variety, gambling, "unnatural behaviors" and even white-slavers from repeated warnings against El Porto. What a bunch of hysteria.
Thanks TOV.....anyone know the address....maybe this Friday? :

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Dec 30, 2015 at 5:55 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 2:58 AM

Quote:

El Porto (Spanglish or Engliguese for The Port I guess) is just 34 acres and runs N/S between 38th and 45th, with the Pacific and the refinery forming it's other two borders. The streets are numbered, but the alleys have names. Unincorporated county land until 1980 (when it was annexed by Manhattan Beach), it was noir central for the South Bay. The Sheriff's Dept didn't bother patrolling much, b/c who was gonna drive all the way down there for such a tiny patch?

google maps

Billy Haines and Jimmy Shields summered in El Porto for years, a safe place to hold parties and flaunt convention. Safe until 1936 when, it was said, Jimmy got in some trouble that was too much even for El Porto, or maybe it was just used as an excuse to get rid of the Wisecracker.

Good stuff Tovanger. I know the gas station is technically in El Segundo, the street address is Vista del Mar, not Highland but it in spirit, it's part of El Porto.
I believe in it's L.A. County days El Porto was home to several strip clubs. The owner of the gas station told me that Charles Manson used to stay in El Porto and stopped in once or twice.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 6:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
A couple of screenshots from this short film give a sense of the traffic on and demographics of San Pedro Street down toward Imperial Highway in 1938....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv8Iak8rV-8

Fascinating piece of civic propaganda. I would imagine the city could have taken all the road margin they needed by Eminent Domain.

I might add that the property owners said that the street was already wide enough...just add sidewalks where needed. Its always a battle.

Thanks for posting. Historic!

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 8:06 AM

Quote:

reverse

I'm unable to read what's written below Los Angeles. (is it Russian?)
__

Here's the link to the photograph.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-JOHN...4AAOxy63FS5IMH

_
The charming Russian who is looking over my shoulder ATM says it looks like it was written by someone whose Russian is not their first language, but he can make out,

"Pipe - ??? and horse"

Sorry, that wasn't much help was it? I thought maybe it was the launch codes.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:20 PM

Rear view of the Brown Derby on Wilshire.

Have we seen this angle of the first Brown Derby restaurant on Wilshire? When I saw this rear view, my first thought was oh-so-typically Angeleno: “They had all this land behind them and they didn’t turn it into a parking lot???” And we can see the Ambassador Hotel peeking out from behind the streets on the right of the photo.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 3:58 PM

Quote:
By sheer coincidence, I happened across this rare postcard a few days ago on eBay.

I thought Caroline might be one of the women in this hot air balloon.

eBay

"The Votes for Women Club." Members campaigning at Luna Park, 4th of July, Los Angeles Cali. just before going up in balloon."

#1 Mrs. Bryan, Friday Morning Club
#2 Miss Mary Foy
#3 Mrs. Reitz, Political Equality Club
#4 Mrs. Lafferty of Denver(?)
#5 Mrs. Clara Foltz, Pres. Votes for Women
#6 Mrs. Ruddy, Pres. California Press Club

left border: "Organizations of Suffrage Clubs"

right side: "The women of Cali are making a great campaign. I think they will win."
-Alma(?) V. Lafferty.

Enlarged so you can see the corresponding numbers.

detail

Asking $299.95 on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1909-SUFFRAG...EAAOSwp5JWXOcL
__
While the photo does not say if Mrs. Severance was in attendance for the balloon launch it does have a picture of Miss Mary Foy, # 2 in the picture. She was born in 1882 and died in 1962. She was Los Angeles' first woman librarian, and a suffragist. The home where she was born, grew up and lived throughout her life was Foy House, first at Seventh and Fig, then at 631-633 S. Witmer and finally ending up in Angeleno Heights at 1337 Carroll Avenue, where it stands today. It is the house where "Charmed" was filmed.

Mrs. Severance would have been 91 at the time of the Balloon Event and probably was not there. She did go to the polls to vote in the 1912 election after all her suffragist work in the years before.

In looking at the two pictures, the women in the carriage and the women in the balloon, it appears that the woman who I took to possibly be Mrs. Severance was, in probability, Mary Foy. She was active in various women's activities in Los Angeles and lived to be 99 years old.

Also in the Balloon picture is #5 Clara Foltz (1839-1934) After her husband deserted her and her five children in 1876 she began studying law and became the first woman attorney on the West Coast. When she wanted to take the California Bar exam, the law only allowed white males to take the exam. She authored a bill in the state assembly to change the wording of the law to "Persons", thus allowing women to become attorneys. The current Los Angeles' Criminal Courts building is named for her. She pioneered the idea of public defenders and was also very active in suffrage causes.

The listing also adds "Mrs. Lafferty of Denver". Alma V. Short Lafferty was another woman who was very active in suffrage.

The hot air balloon event took place in 1911, working up to getting the suffrage amendment on the ballot that year. (it was passed in 1911)

Last edited by oldstuff; Dec 30, 2015 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2015, 4:20 PM

EXCELLENT information oldstuff. I knew you'd come through.

Here's the first Friday Morning Club at 940 S. Figueroa, downtown Los Angeles, circa 1900. (perhaps we've seen this before on NLA) -if so, it deserves a second look.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/si.../id/3029/rec/4

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos