HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 5, 2006, 11:14 PM
Honored Member

Middletown, Ohio Historic Home Tour plus - Dec 3, 2006

Middletown, Ohio - December 3, 2006

All images (c) 2006 Robert E Pence

Thanks to preservationrestoration, from urbanohio.com, for planning the get-together and arranging the special tours of the Beau Verre/Riordan building and Artistic Harmonies/1 Floor Up.

Former Big Four Railroad depot

"Then Moses lifted up his hand and struck the rock twice with his rod; and water came forth abundantly ..."

City Building

Formerly occupied by G.C. Murphy company, the building housing studios of Beau Verre / Riordan has been extensively renovated by its owners. Interior features include woodwork salvaged from a former school. The replacement of many structural, mechanical and electrical components represents a major investment in Middletown's downtown.

Views from the roof

The gallery of Christopher Walden, nationally acclaimed wildlife artist, is on the first floor of the building adjacent to Beau Verre's studios.

1 Floor Up, in a former Eagles lodge is being developed as a downtown arts and performance venue

We began our Candlelight Tour of Homes in the South Main Street Historic District by stopping at url=http://www.stpaulsuccmidd.org/default.htm]St. Paul's[/url] United Church of Christ to get our tickets.

First United Methodist Church's Richardsonian Romanesque building was designed by noted Cincinnati architect Samuel Hannaford, and ground was broken in 1890. The windows, original to the building, were created by Chicago stained glass designer George A. Misch.

I wish this photo had been sharper; the design and color in these windows make them some of the most striking I've seen.

The burned building in the next block is the former home of First Baptist Church.

Sorg House

1878 Winchester House

Daniel McCallay House, 1866

On December 17, 2004, the owners of the Lefferson Home, an 1827 farmhouse and the second-oldest house in Middletown, returned home from a Christmas dinner with friends to find their home destroyed by fire. They have rebuilt on the site, using approximately the footprint of the original house and with very nearly the same appearance and using some fixtures and materials that were salvaged from the original house.

1872 Leibee House suffered decades of inappropriate remodeling including time as a nursing home before being purchased by Middletown Planning Director Marty Kohler, who has torn out the renovations and is restoring the home to its original appearance.

Better than ever and always growing: [url=http://www.robertpence.com][b]My Photography Web Site[/b][/url]

Last edited by Robert Pence; Dec 6, 2006 at 5:23 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2006, 1:07 AM
Old Fart Forumer

Great set of pics, and an encouraging tour. I went thru the city a few years back, and the downtown had a bunch of empty storefronts, and zero pedestrian or vehicular traffic. Good to see the turn-around has started. Also nice to see so many stately homes in such wonderful shape. Thanks Rob.

Retired, now Grandpa Daycare

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 1:05 AM

The Sorg House looks really neat. Good indoor shots too.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 4:59 AM

Some of those houses are just amazing... Glad to see this picture thread, thanks.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 6:08 PM
Ms AA

My great grandparents spent their last years in Middletown, and I still have family there.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 7:32 PM
B!tchslapping Since 1998

The Lorain of the South.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 7:55 PM
E pluribus unum

Fantastic photos, Rob! Great juxtoposition of the industrial grit with the gorgeous mansions all decorated for the holidays!

Old Posted Dec 7, 2006, 8:28 PM
DET->CLT->DC

Some of that city reminds me of Saginaw, Michigan -- but it's great I'm seeing some good things happening in Middletown - I once saw the city as a very depressing place ovreall.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos