HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:02 AM

Full masterplan, just to refresh everybody's memory:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:05 AM

Amazing how much of it has been built at this point.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:39 AM

Are you guys sure? East Park timeline says 2022 for construction

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...ark-south.aspx

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Are you guys sure? East Park timeline says 2022 for construction

https://vancouver.ca/parks-recreatio...ark-south.aspx
That sounds more likely (and maybe optimistic). There isn't an agreed design yet, as far as I know. The temporary path to Switchman should be in by spring 2020. Maybe.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 6:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
Full masterplan, just to refresh everybody's memory:

i like how 2nd Av has a tree lined median with turning lanes, clearly that was cut out of the plan...

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
The Park Board are not noted for speed. (Richards Street new Downtown park construction delayed again to January 2020).
And that land has been slated for a park since the early 1990s, if my memory is correct.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFUVancouver View Post
Amazing how much of it has been built at this point.
The school certainly stands out as a long overdue element.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Changing City View Post
That sounds more likely (and maybe optimistic). There isn't an agreed design yet, as far as I know. The temporary path to Switchman should be in by spring 2020. Maybe.
Yes perhaps that's what I was thinking about. It's an annoying walk around right now if that's a regular route for people.

All that said, there's not a ton of land, and it's not that exciting of a park they can realistically put there. I'd rather see the 5th building completed more than anything else.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VancouverOfTheFuture View Post
i like how 2nd Av has a tree lined median with turning lanes, clearly that was cut out of the plan...
Where are the turning lanes? The reconfigured 2nd and Quebec intersection now has dedicated left turn lanes for everybody.

They could build a median if parking lanes were eliminated.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
And that land has been slated for a park since the early 1990s, if my memory is correct.
Well, we're not in the right thread, but yes, and no. The site was identified by the City as a possible park in the early 1990s, yes, and was bought by the City of Vancouver. The Park Board then has to buy the site and develop it. They rely on funds from DCLs accumulating to pay their share. The three phases of Emery Barnes Park were the first priority, so that was developed first. The Richards park became possible when the Park Board had sufficient funds to buy it, and Telus Garden's CAC was offered as payment of much of the development. So it was a long, slow process, but achieving long-term plans often take 20 or 30 years.

Similarly the funds have only recently been identified in the Capital Plan to build the East Park in SEFC, but the Province would have to agree to fund a new school for that to go ahead. As other funds have been found for the replacement and new schools Downtown (from BC Hyrdo) it's possible that this will now be a higher priority, but seismic replacement schools like McGee are also seen as a priority for the funds for new schools that are available.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
*Sigh*

Everything with this city is so slow... I had completely forgot about the new Downtown park! They better hurry so that Oppenheimer campers will have a nice new amenity.
No kidding. The only thing this City is fast at doing is putting in bike lanes. Other than that, everything else is at snail-pace speed. Burnaby even had their linear park along Willingdon Ave done long time ago. Initiation and completion dates there are just so close, compared to things happening (or not happening) in Vancouver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The school certainly stands out as a long overdue element.
Like 10 years and counting?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Where are the turning lanes? The reconfigured 2nd and Quebec intersection now has dedicated left turn lanes for everybody.

They could build a median if parking lanes were eliminated.
here is a larger version

source

it looks like Columbia had one, and Manitoba.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 3:08 AM

The turning lanes could still happen, provided that City Council ever summons up enough guts to completely get rid of parking on 2nd...

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:05 PM

I'm sure we'll see more action come forward on the school when more plans for South False Creek come together, convenient to replace the school there with this one during contruction

Old Posted Dec 6, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
I'm sure we'll see more action come forward on the school when more plans for South False Creek come together, convenient to replace the school there with this one during contruction
Meh, maybe. It took too long to get Crosstown school built. People are clamoring for Coal Harbour. The SEFC school would be full tomorrow if it was built. It's needed in addition to False Creek, not as a replacement.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 2:22 AM

Avenue One - My photos

October 1st, 2019

October 1st, 2019

October 1st, 2019

July 2019

December 23rd, 2019

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 3:37 AM

Not sure how recent it was but for some reason they stuck up plywood next to that empty lot next to Quebec where that presentation center was setup.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
Not sure how recent it was but for some reason they stuck up plywood next to that empty lot next to Quebec where that presentation center was setup.
I saw that too, I think it might be the temporary "pass through" to get from Quebec to the seawall, prior to the park, prior to building 5.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 10:36 PM

I am dying for Conert's last building to get started, that lot is such an awful unfilled piece of the area. Having it completed (along with the new Concert park that runs down the west side of the property) will really be the final piece in the puzzle tying that area together (ie. Olympic Village transition to the Main St. corridor)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I am dying for Conert's last building to get started, that lot is such an awful unfilled piece of the area. Having it completed (along with the new Concert park that runs down the west side of the property) will really be the final piece in the puzzle tying that area together (ie. Olympic Village transition to the Main St. corridor)
If you look back a few posts you'll see Concert are not responsible for the park. It's a Park Board project that's currently intended for construction in 2022, and the timing isn't affected by when Concert build their final building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Downtown & City of Vancouver