HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 2:11 AM

Wow, the Moscow Metro has some great station designs!

Could someone tell us what this says?

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 2:20 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumbull View Post
Wow, the Moscow Metro has some great station designs!

Could someone tell us what this says?
"I am very glad that our metro construction has not died in the dark and dangerous 90s. I am very glad that we are able now to develop Moscow metro into the new millenium. (I congratulate you) with opening of Trubnaja and with the Day of the City!
Putin
30.08.07"

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 5:28 AM
maverick

photo by grohotailo from forum on www.mymetro.ru

photo by monzart from the same forum

photo by metrovagony from LiveJournal

"In times of universal deceit, telling the truth will be a revolutionary act." George Orwell

Last edited by anm; Jan 1, 2008 at 7:34 AM.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 7:49 PM
:)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
Kuntsevskaja has been renovated, hope to see pics later.
There are two stations. An old one is being renovated and a new one was built.
West Tower: core - 62 levels (232,0m) / floorplates - 62 levels (232,0m)

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 7:52 PM
America's Hometown

I would jump for joy if Philadelphia could have such grand subway stations. The ones we do have are so old and embarassing in comparison.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2007, 9:53 PM

sweet. the lighting looks far cooler than in previous stations. especially along the escalators.

i'm looking forward to strogino opening. it's been on the maps since before the first time i ever visited moscow (1993) and for a long time seemed like it would never be finished.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2007, 12:30 AM
maverick

Speaking of Strogino, the first train with press made it there on Dec 29. The station to be open to public on Jan 7th. Photo by russos from LiveJournal

And these are artists from Lubennikov art studio who decorated Sretenskij Bulvar with metal pannos (photographs etched on metal)

Old Posted Jan 1, 2008, 8:04 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
yah its just funny that only women seem to get them
Sorry, I missed responding to this.

1. In Russia, if ia man were sitting and a woman were standing, he would be supposed to get up and offer her to sit. Women in Russia relish being women and treated as such. Real men relish being real men too.

2. Due to high mortality among men (army, alcoholism, AIDS, narcotics, etc.) there are disproporionate number of women relative to men in Russia (about 2 eligible women per eligible man). Also, those eligible men tend to drive cars, not entering metro for years.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2008, 11:25 PM
maverick

photo by KVentz, the full report is here

New Kuntsevskaja-2 station:

the old Kuntsevskaja on the other side:

Strogino:

Strogino open to passengers on Jan 7

photo by Mr. MyXiN from SSC

a pagan worships arrival of his idol

the air is dusty after construction, in a few day the dust will go away and visibility will be normal; we have seen it in the past with other new stations

photo by Anubis SSC and LiveJournal

Last edited by anm; Jan 8, 2008 at 10:02 PM.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 4:24 AM

any idea what the travel time between kuntsevo-2 and strogino is? that must be by far the longest stretch between stations on the whole system.

(edit: duh, forgot about molodezhnoye and krylatskoye. so what about between krylatskoye and strogino?)

Old Posted Jan 7, 2008, 5:00 AM
maverick

The whole stretch between Kuntsevskaja and Strogino is 11.5 km. There are two more stations already existing (Krylatskoe and Molodezhnaja) between Kuntsevskaja and Strogino and one more to be built later (to be called Troitse-Lykovo, according to wikipedia). This latter station is in such far distant plans, that it is not even listed on the official site of metro expansion. So, the Krylatskoe-Strogino stretch must be longer than usual, and perhaps it is going to be the longest in the system for a few years.

Another long stretch is between Park Pobedy and Kuntsevskaja, where Slavianskij Bulvar station will be opened in June this year. So, it is long, but not for a long time.

See the empty space left for Slavianskij Bulvar?

Last edited by anm; Jan 7, 2008 at 6:10 AM.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 3:46 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvpcvm View Post
any idea what the travel time between kuntsevo-2 and strogino is? that must be by far the longest stretch between stations on the whole system.

(edit: duh, forgot about molodezhnoye and krylatskoye. so what about between krylatskoye and strogino?)
OK, the Russian Moscow metro wikipedia page seem to have been updated to answer this question: the length of Krylatskoe- Strogino stretch is 6.1 km, currenly the longest in the system.

Other updated stats are

176 stations and
294 km of lines (this is not total length of tracks).

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:31 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anm View Post
2. Due to high mortality among men (army, alcoholism, AIDS, narcotics, etc.) there are disproporionate number of women relative to men in Russia (about 2 eligible women per eligible man)..
then i must move to russia.

i can't hate nor love these stations. they're nice looking at quick glance, but the details glare through rather quickly. they incorporate hackneyed architectural fashion in a painfully modest way, and with little understanding. kind of like taiwanese train stations.

btw, i dig the banners depicting the downtown los angeles skyline. apparently moscovites found a skyline unrecognizable enough to use as a generic backdrop (or beer ad?)

Old Posted Jan 9, 2008, 6:20 PM
maverick

it is a beer ad covering a construction site fence

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:05 AM
You never sausage a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
then i must move to russia.

i can't hate nor love these stations. they're nice looking at quick glance, but the details glare through rather quickly. they incorporate hackneyed architectural fashion in a painfully modest way, and with little understanding. kind of like taiwanese train stations.

btw, i dig the banners depicting the downtown los angeles skyline. apparently moscovites found a skyline unrecognizable enough to use as a generic backdrop (or beer ad?)
What exactly is painful about the modesty of new Moscow underground stations' adherence to a hackneyed (I assume you meant 'commonplace' although there are few cities that have metros that look like Moscow) architectural fashion?

BTW, they use the Chicago skyline for beer ads.

Old Posted Jan 10, 2008, 1:57 AM
maverick

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
I am not sure I exactly get what you wanted to say.

If by hackneyed you mean that architects relied too much on once proven successful formula for design of downtown stations, and these stations look a bit like a parody of the old grand ones - I would agree with it. This does not make me dislike them, but I would prefer a fresher and more modern approach.

Trubnaja IMO is overloaded with decorations and the lamps to me look out place. Their shape does not agree with the rest of the design. I like the green marble though.

Sretenskij Bulvar gets a higher grade from me. I like the pannos. Without them the central hall would be sterile.

Strogino - I have no objections. One of the best vaulted stations in Moscow metro.

Kuntsevskaj - nothing to discuss really.

I hope that time will come for other materials than marble and granite and for new approaches to Moscow metro architechture, so that future stations would reflect exciting developments above ground.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 4:20 AM
maverick

Mar'ina roscha tunnel construction, Liublinskaja line

42 photos by russos from LiveJournal

Last edited by anm; Feb 19, 2008 at 2:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2008, 4:24 AM
maverick

map (with some mistakes but gives an idea of the city coverage) by golov

a much more accurate map 2994 х 3751, ~ 2.5 MB http://metro.molot.ru/img/mskrail.jpg

by Evgeni Vikent'jev

black lines are regional rail

Last edited by anm; Feb 4, 2008 at 8:18 PM.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 1:08 AM

Absolutely stunning!

I'm actually at a loss for words.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2008, 8:56 AM
low-riding

gorgeous. beautiful! ugh, why can't that happen here. Here in NYC we plan beautiful new subway stations and then due to mismanagement, budget cuts, and whatever else it gets watered down to generic and mundane. But these new Moscow stations.. this should be the standard. well done!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation