HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:23 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACK STAR View Post
That's gonna look great. It will look like a sharp suit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Good job Chad. Me likey!

Thanks guys! Here's a better version of the future skyline. Still not great, but it serves its purpose fairly well

From left to right: Eau Claire One, City Centre, Telus Sky, Brookfield Place, Oxford Tower, Manulife Tower.

Calgary Future Skyline by Chadillaccc, on Flickr

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 12:23 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeIsThomas View Post
My new future Hamilton rendering...

Source

Left to Right:
- Residences of the Royal Connaught, 36+24+21 floors, sales
- Tivoli Condos, 22 floors, pre-sales
- Artizen Condos, 20 floors, pre-sales
- Gore Park Development, 30 floors, planning
- The Connolly, 30 floors, demo/under construction
- The Hamilton Hammer, 44 & 23 floors, planning
- Bella Tower, 28 floors, under construction
- 22 George Street (partially hidden by Bella Tower), 25-30 floors, planning

Not in the picture:
- City Square Parkside Condos (tower 2 & 3), 11+11 floors, under construction (hidden behind buildings from this angle)
- Residences of the Royal Connaught southern addition, 14 floors, sales (couldn't fit it in the photo)
- Gore Park Development's office tower, 10-15 floors, planning (couldn't fit it in the photo)
- 150 Main Lofts, 12 floors, under construction (hidden behind 22 George Street)
- 339 York, 29 floors, planning (located just off the right of the photo)
Is there a chance that condo towers might one day be built on top of Hamilton Mountain overlooking the city? I do see a few short apartment blocks there in that photo. I bet they have some of the best views in southern Ontario. Tall enough and you could see Niagara Falls to one side and Hamilton/Toronto to the other.

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 17, 2014 at 12:35 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post
Is there a chance that condo towers might one day be built on top of Hamilton Mountain overlooking the city? I do see a few short apartment blocks there in that photo. I bet they have some of the best views in southern Ontario. Tall enough and you could see Niagara Falls to one side and Hamilton/Toronto to the other.
There are already quite a few condo/apartment towers on the edge of the escarpment and there will definitely be more in the future. There is already a mini skyline above the escarpment, just off the left of that future skyline photo.

Here is a screenshot from Bing 3D Maps that shows the escarpment edge's skyline (downtown is in the top right)...

Source: Bing 3D Maps Preview App

The newest condo building along the escarpment's edge is The Madison which was built in 2008...

Source

The views from the second floor of The Madison can compete with the views of Toronto's tallest buildings...

Source

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:09 AM
Look at me!

Good times for Hamilton. Seems surreal. Good times nevertheless.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:36 AM
The New Republic

Good heavens! Those lots atop Hamilton Mountain are a gold mine. They should set aside the whole length of Mountain Park Avenue for high end 40+ floor condo towers. That's Hamilton's version of 5th Avenue overlooking Central Park. NYC is on a different level, but this has the same kind of potential in terms of vistas.

Just don't develop it like a sterile suburb. Develop it like a dense urban neighbourhood with wide sidewalks, retail at grade, restaurants, cafes, and heavy investment in the public realm (trees, quality paving, lamp posts, etc.).

Last edited by isaidso; Oct 17, 2014 at 4:48 AM.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:38 AM

Places To Grow is starting to really kick in over Southern Ontario, its finally become really noticable in the last year or two, considering its been around since 2006. All of the growth nodes are starting to show up (Vaughan, Markham, etc.) and it looks great. its suddenly somewhat possible to visualize how the area will look in 10 years. Hint: Skylines, Skylines everywhere.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:44 AM

Devin Henry ‏@calgaryfuture
Something even taller than Brookfield Place is coming downtown! The future is going to look good #yyc

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:54 AM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Places To Grow is starting to really kick in over Southern Ontario, its finally become really noticable in the last year or two, considering its been around since 2006. All of the growth nodes are starting to show up (Vaughan, Markham, etc.) and it looks great. its suddenly somewhat possible to visualize how the area will look in 10 years. Hint: Skylines, Skylines everywhere.
Agree. I much prefer having an urban region with 10-12 significant nodes in the Golden Horseshoe. It makes the whole region feel larger, more vibrant, and it will likely run more efficiently. The alternative of packing all the 'good stuff' in the core surrounded by a miles of boring 'nothing' isn't the way to go. We need to spread quality development and attractions throughout the region. It's why I supported seeing the Aga Khan cultural centre going to Eglinton East.

A much larger 'Hamilton' node would be great too. We should demand the same standards in Hamilton, North York, Oshawa as we do in downtown Toronto. That's how we'll build an urbanized region that's spectacular from one end to the other.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 4:44 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

My photo-tour of the GTHA has a lot of picks of Hamilton's mountain brow/Concession St. area.

(Shameless self promotion, I know, but the pictures are fairly relevant.)

Flar has a good tour of the area, but fewer shots looking towards the GTA.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 5:35 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
Legislation is one thing but, the insatiable demand for high rise apartments is driving all these towers. More ans more suburban developers are joining in on the fun as existing developers take on even larger projects.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2014, 8:07 PM

We need Traynor back to do a good new Future Toronto rendering. It has been a couple of years since he was spotted here. I would do it myself, but I don't have the enthusiasm or time.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:57 AM
ARTchitecture

Another Calgary future beauty be CtrlAltDel

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:48 AM

AMAZING! And it doesn't even show East Village and the Beltline. Is that 3EC still in there?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 3:51 AM
ARTchitecture

Yep. Bentall just bought 3EC, work resumed on the site yesterday Another tower over 150 meters for Calgary At this rate, we will be at 23 towers over 150 meters by 2020.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 4:22 AM

This is a rendering I made of what Toronto will look like in 2020. All the projects shown are already under construction or are approved and have already reached their sales thresholds (except for Residences off 488 University Avenue which is approved but has only just started sales). They include One Bloor, Casa II, U Condos, X2 and Five Condos (which have already topped out), Wellesley on the Park, YC Condos, Massey Tower and Ten York.

Projects that I have left out because they wouldn't make a big impact from this angle (or because I was lazy) include Plaza Harbour Residences, 88 Scott, 1 Yorkville, Casa III, Yonge+Rich, Bay Adelaide East, INDX, EY Tower, Karma, Pace, the Britt and a bunch of stuff in the Entertainment District.

The original photo by Jack Landau

Projects that might possibly be built by 2020 which would impact this angle, but which I didn't render, include 45 Bay, 156 Front, Union Centre, 50 Bloor West (aka Holt Renfrew Tower), 37 Yorkville, TeaHouse Condos and CityPlace Signature Towers.

Last edited by Ramako; Oct 20, 2014 at 4:37 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 6:43 AM

^ That seriously reminds me of a side view of Manhattan.

Obviously not with the same thickness, but wow. Just wow. Bravo Toronto.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 7:09 AM

I just LOVE this thread so much. Seriously, we have AMAZING cities in this country.

Is there any country out there that, pound for pound, has more amazing skylines than us? Australia maybe?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:49 PM

Great Calgary and Toronto shot. So much excitement going on in both cities.

For the TO shot, you also forgot the Mirvish towers which are approved, however they have not gone into sales yet. Also, 2020 might be a stretch as the project doesn't even have a reputable developer to build it. I would say 2022-2023 for completion.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 1:58 PM
The New Republic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Is there any country out there that, pound for pound, has more amazing skylines than us? Australia maybe?
Pound for pound, Australia was considerably ahead of us the last 20 years. Our latest building boom has pulled us even despite still only having 4 big skyline cities to their 5. We can thank the mega boom in Toronto for that; it's now as big as Sydney and Melbourne put together.

Going forward, we might even pull ahead of Australia pound for pound as Montreal, Vancouver, and Calgary come on strong. Edmonton looks set to make it an even 5.

That said, Australia and Canada are tops. The UAE is arguably in that group as well, but Dubai and Abu Dhabi need more time to come together imo. One bit of data that jumped out at me last year was that Canada had roughly as many 100m+ buildings as the entire European Union. Add U/C and Proposed and we still keep pace. That puts things into context.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2014, 2:36 PM
I am the law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramako View Post

Projects that might possibly be built by 2020 which would impact this angle, but which I didn't render, include 45 Bay, 156 Front, Union Centre, 50 Bloor West (aka Holt Renfrew Tower), 37 Yorkville, TeaHouse Condos and CityPlace Signature Towers.
50 Bloor may have to be phased for Holt Renfrew but, I can see Morguard breaking ground in 2015. Their rental project in Forest Hill has leased exceedingly well.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada