HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 14, 2014, 2:47 PM

they've taken a few bookings for 2017 allready!

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 6:24 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Yeah, this is getting very big, in a good way.

Next year's C4 Convention should be easy peasy. The last few years has been crazy with the lineups and organization. I didn't go to this years convention for obvious reasons, but next year for sure, I'm making a return.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jabroni View Post
Yeah, this is getting very big, in a good way.

Next year's C4 Convention should be easy peasy. The last few years has been crazy with the lineups and organization. I didn't go to this years convention for obvious reasons, but next year for sure, I'm making a return.
after going to this a couple times I havent been back mostly because it was same old same old. Im not a huge fan but I enjoy it. Last time we tried to go a couple of years ago we ended up waiting in line for ages and gave up. So you're right, I think the extra space will provide better organization and "on the fence" people like me are more likely to go.

Although I'm involved in the local wrestling business and have been offered passes in the past, I never took advantage. Just not that big a fan. But this event will continue to grow.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 5:55 PM

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:32 PM

First time I've been downtown in a little while and drove around the building while looking for parking and drove under it going down York. I'm pretty impressed with the size and it's got a big city, metropolitan kinda feel to it.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2014, 9:17 PM

Dec.04

Source

Final exterior cladding being installed near the windows in the photo. Doesn't look like an exact match from the original centre, or is it? Hard to tell from the photo.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 6:09 AM

Just doing a little reading tonight and came across this gem from July of this year. Quoted within is the foremost expert on the American convention center market. Thought this may be of some interest with the opening of our expansion within sight.

http://www.sandiegoreader.com/news/2...s-be-so-dumb/#

Old Posted Dec 24, 2014, 5:46 PM

http://www.wcc.mb.ca/construction-cam/

Looking good, cladding going well..good match to to the existing centre..

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 8:01 PM
What could go wrong?

From lunchtime today.

"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:35 PM

Wow, so the deal to build the Convention Centre hotel might be back on again

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/loc...ce=d-top-story

I wonder what this means for the project itself? It was originally shown in the renderings as a large mid to high rise project. Is that still on the table or are we just going to end up with some Canalta style POS lot-filler?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Wow, so the deal to build the Convention Centre hotel might be back on again
My read of the article you linked is that Stuart Olson Dominion had a position that could potentially release them from paying the penalty for not building the hotel. Rather than go through a long fight in the courts they will pay a reduced amount. This reduced amount will then be used to reduce the implied value of the Carlton Inn site. The development of that site would then be handled exclusively by the City, likely through CentreVenture. The article also suggests there is currently no development deal in place for the property from any party.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
My read of the article you linked is that Stuart Olson Dominion had a position that could potentially release them from paying the penalty for not building the hotel. Rather than go through a long fight in the courts they will pay a reduced amount. This reduced amount will then be used to reduce the implied value of the Carlton Inn site. The development of that site would then be handled exclusively by the City, likely through CentreVenture. The article also suggests there is currently no development deal in place for the property from any party.
Bang on. I've been hearing about this, but only quietly and without much detail. And nobody is quite sure of what that penalty even amounts to, but you can be assured it's not that much. If it were, the legal fees would be worth it and they'd fight tooth and nail.

This is only going to give the city more leeway to dispose of the site at a cheaper price. It doesn't address the harmful hotel caveat, and it doesn't change the hotel economics of the downtown marketplace. It's a step in the right direction, but it's still going to be a long, long time before anybody puts up any private capital to build a hotel on that site.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:18 PM

^ Yeah, the headline is a bit misleading... kind of overstates the case a bit. I guess at best we can say that the mess CV made will be cleaned up to some degree, and the door to developing a hotel is not firmly shut.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 5:53 PM

Headline is definitely misleading. Sounded like a deal was in place. The only deal that may be in place is the penalty. I would hope the penalty would be maybe $2M. so they could take a decent chunk out of that $6M price tag on the Carlton Inn. But that's probably too much. Like Simplicity said, how much could the legal fees really get up to?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Headline is definitely misleading. Sounded like a deal was in place. The only deal that may be in place is the penalty. I would hope the penalty would be maybe $2M. so they could take a decent chunk out of that $6M price tag on the Carlton Inn. But that's probably too much. Like Simplicity said, how much could the legal fees really get up to?
Kives doesn't know what to do with himself now that Katz is gone so he's just making a mess of himself lately. His whole article is somewhat misleading.

Have a look at how the CBC presents this:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manito...sion-1.2912510

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 7:57 PM

Joshi was just walked out of City Hall. He's been suspended by Bowman. Seemingly unilaterally.

So last week he wanted a CentreVenture audit, this week he's got everybody in a bunker in City Hall talking about this hotel nearly everybody had forgotten about, and now Joshi has been strung up?

Something bad is coming of this...

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 8:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicity View Post
Something bad is coming of this...
Yeah, what the hell? Where is this all headed?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 9:16 PM

Seems the new mayor has some balls. That's refreshing IMO. Joshi is one of Katz henchmen. Good riddance.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 9:30 PM

It is hard to really judge Bowman's convictions based on cleaning up trusted insiders from the previous mayor. It will be interesting to see if he has similar close relationships of his own while in the office.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 9:53 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, what the hell? Where is this all headed?
They are imitating the provincial government?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan