HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 1:26 PM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

The paper had an update on the study to begin looking into converting I-375 into aa surface boulevard.

Quote:

Jarrad Henderson | Detroit Free Press

No more I-375? Detroit to study removing freeway in favor of walkable surface street

By John Gallagher | Detroit Free Press

November 24, 2013

For the first time in a half century, Detroit could follow a national trend and remove aging I-375, cutting off express downtown access for tens of thousands of motorists a day in favor of a pedestrian-friendly parkway connecting Lafayette Park and Eastern Market with the central business district.

Turning the trench-like interstate that runs from I-75 near Gratiot south to Jefferson Avenue into a surface street would make for easier connections between residential areas on the east side and central downtown. Creating that walkable ambiance would come at the cost of high-speed connections on I-375 that suburbanites take to reach the Renaissance Center, Cobo Center and other downtown destinations.

Removing the 1960s-era freeway could sprout residential communities anew in the once-thriving historic black areas known as Black Bottom and Paradise Valley that were torn apart five decades ago by local freeway construction, the same as in cities across the nation.

The area could be developed into some combination of retail, parkland or mixed-use development. There could be several variations on the idea of a surface street. Or, ultimately, the freeway could be rebuilt as is, though that would buck a national trend of removing urban freeways in favor of pedestrian- and bike-friendly areas and greenways.

The City of Detroit and the Michigan Department of Transportation have formed a committee with local stakeholders, including development agencies and downtown employers, to study transforming I-375 into a surface street. The group will choose a consultant next month who will oversee the process of coming up with a proposed plan by mid-next year, at the earliest. Officials said the group would solicit public opinion but has not provided any specifics yet.

Romain Blanquart | Detroit Free Press
What I found odd was that the article twice mentions Eastern Market. At the end of the day, while I support this, this will have very little effect on connecting downtown to Eastern Market. In fact, it's removal is not even going to connect Eastern Market better with Lafayette Park. That was taken care of when they decided to extend Fisher eastward through the interchange, so it's odd to see them bring up Eastern Market. This isn't really about Eastern Market, it's mostly about connecting Lafayette Park with downtown, which I think will be particularly beneficial for Lafayette Park.

Old Posted Nov 25, 2013, 7:30 PM

Quote:
Rock Ventures Selects SHoP Architects to Lead Design Process for Downtown Detroit's Iconic Hudson's Site

DETROIT, Nov. 25, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Rock Ventures today announced it has selected SHoP Architects as the architect of record to lead the design process for the 2-acre site of the former Hudson's Department Store in downtown Detroit. Headquartered in NYC, SHoP will partner with Detroit-based Hamilton Anderson Associates (HAA) to create an innovative concept for a signature development on Woodward Avenue in the heart of Detroit's Central Business District bordered by Gratiot, Grand River and Library Street.

"These two firms, known as premier urban catalysts, were chosen for their innovation and creativity, as well as their track record of committing to community engagement. We believe SHoP and Hamilton Anderson will join a long list of distinguished architects including Yamasaki, Burnham and Kahn who have created landmark buildings in Detroit that stand the test of time," said Jeff Cohen, Founder, Rock Companies, LLC, a member of the Rock Ventures Family of Companies. "From its six-dimensional Building Information Modeling (BIM), to a live construction mobile and web application, SHoP's well-rounded, entrepreneurial approach is a perfect fit for our culture and for Detroit."

SHoP is the architect on dozens of world-renowned projects like the Barclays Center at Atlantic Yards in Brooklyn, New York, where the world's tallest modular housing towers -- also designed by SHoP -- are currently under construction. The modules are being fabricated in a nearby factory setting with the Brooklyn Navy Yard and point to a promising new frontier for urban manufacturing. Hamilton Anderson's notable Detroit area projects include the Tech One Building at the TechTown Research and Technology Park, Wayne State University Welcome Center and the award-winning North Terminal at Detroit Metropolitan Airport.
Quote:
In the coming month, SHoP and HAA will meet with local stakeholders to discuss programming and design concepts. In early 2014, the two firms will host a lecture series for the community to learn more about the architects, the Hudson's site and what it will take to get a project of this magnitude underway.

"Designing a signature architectural project from the ground up in downtown Detroit -- or any great city -- is an opportunity of a lifetime, and we are committed to getting it right," said Dan Gilbert, Chairman and Founder of Rock Ventures. "We look forward to working with our local and state partners to help build a lasting contribution to our city.

"Our goal is that this project will become not only a symbol of Detroit's past and present, but more importantly, highlight the high-tech potential, creative future of opportunities for Detroiters and visitors from around the world," Gilbert added.
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...233337291.html

Detroit might actually get something that looks like it was built in the 21st century.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 8:12 AM

So, we got us something of a starchitect, huh? It's been a long time coming. So long as it doesn't look like someone spilled a glass of ice cubes at the site, I'll be satisfied. I'm glad he went outside town to find an architect, though. You can only take so many Hamiltons and Smithgroups and Kraemers and Kahn Associates and such. Not that any of those are bad, but we need architects for this time in the city's history who reflect the unbridled exuberance of its local boosters.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 12:21 PM
Paramoderator

Wow, SHoP? Incredible! I have a lot of family in Detroit, many of which have played an incredibly active roll in the revitalization of the inner city neighborhoods and downtown. My aunt, for example, is the founder of Avalon Bakery, and helped get the downtown synagogue running again. As such, I've always had an affinity for the city, and it makes me incredibly happy that finally Detroit is going to get a building worthy of it's history and future.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 1:58 PM

John Gallagher has an article in the Freep, this morning, giving a bit more detail into Gilbert's intentions, and they are major. There is no height limit, and they say this could be something that rivals the RenCen in height, or something more low-slung. And, while Gilbert doesn't want to copy the old Hudson's store - and quite frankly, god love it, it was no architectural masterpiece - he does want to recreate the feeling of the street wall the store did.

file photo

So, apparently, that answers the mystery of how much this site can physically support. They are treating this as a total blank canvas. And, knowing Gilbert, he wants something epic. Now, we'll have to wait and see how the economy is when this goes up and how many other folks buy into it.

BTW, looking at that picture above, it's going to be crazy seeing the streetcar back out in front. lol

Last edited by LMich; Nov 26, 2013 at 2:15 PM.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 2:13 PM

BTW, looks like the Ilitches made out like bandits on the new arena district:

Quote:

The Temple Bar at the corner of Cass and Temple sits just off the northern border of the site of the new entertainment district. (John T. Greilick / The Detroit News)

Tab for new Red Wings arena's land: $48M

By Louis Aguilar | The Detroit News

November 26, 2013

Detroit —Owners of the Detroit Red Wings have paid at least $48 million in land deals and own nearly half of the 45-block area where the Wings’ new home ice and an entertainment district are planned, according to a city document.

It’s the first time a price has been revealed in the years-long acquisition of property by Olympia Development of Michigan (ODM) for a project that could reap huge financial rewards. It’s also the first time Olympia has divulged how much land it has bought; many land deals in the area have been shrouded in mystery, their buyers in question.

“For informational purposes, ODM has indicated it has paid at least approximately $48 million for the land,” according to a document written by the Detroit City Council’s legislative policy division staff. It adds: “ODM suggests it owns almost 50 percent of the land in these areas.”

This afternoon, the City Council may consider whether to literally expand the borders of downtown Detroit so the project can reap the tax dollars set aside for Detroit’s Downtown Development Authority (DDA), an entity separate from the city of Detroit. The project will use tax dollars from a budget and revenue stream that is not part of the city’s general revenue fund, which means it’s not money impacted by the city’s bankruptcy filing.

The special tax pot by the DDA has been in place for more than two decades and legally can’t be used for anything other than economic development in the designated area.

About $367 million or 56 percent of the entire $650 million project would come from private investment. About $283 million or 44 percent in public investment would come through existing economic development funds requiring no new taxes.

Part of the $200 million additional development includes:

■140,000 square feet of new mixed office and retail development on Woodward at Sproat Street.

■25,000 square feet of office and retail development along Woodward.

■Several parking structures with a total of 25,000 square feet of retail.

■Renovation of the Detroit Life Building at 2210 Park Ave. for 3,645 square feet of retail and 35 residential units.

■Renovation of the Blenheim Building at 81 W. Columbia St. for 1,833 square feet of retail and 16 residential units.

■Renovation of the building at 1922 Cass Ave. for 70,000 square feet of office space.

■A new hotel-retail development with 20,000 square feet of ground floor.

■Parking lots and other amenities.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 3:52 PM

This Is What Detroit Could Look Like In 2033 ... And Beyond
By Ashley Woods

Quote:
If you've never been to Detroit and only know what you see in the news, a story about the city's future could seem confusing.

Detroit is bankrupt. Blocks once filled by families are all but dormant, and major roads remain lined with shuttered buildings that used to be shops, restaurants, bars and factories.

Yet change is brewing in the Motor City. New projects are targeting investment in hotspots like downtown and Midtown, and the city's neighborhoods could see major transformations under long-term plans like Detroit Future City.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4269422.html

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 7:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMich View Post
John Gallagher has an article in the Freep, this morning, giving a bit more detail into Gilbert's intentions, and they are major. There is no height limit, and they say this could be something that rivals the RenCen in height, or something more low-slung. And, while Gilbert doesn't want to copy the old Hudson's store - and quite frankly, god love it, it was no architectural masterpiece - he does want to recreate the feeling of the street wall the store did.

So, apparently, that answers the mystery of how much this site can physically support. They are treating this as a total blank canvas. And, knowing Gilbert, he wants something epic. Now, we'll have to wait and see how the economy is when this goes up and how many other folks buy into it.
I always wondered if Gilbert's original plan was to just rebuild the underground parking garage and get rid of the height limitation. Nowadays, it seems like he has plenty of resources to build something bigger and I don't think 16-floors was going to be enough. Especially given with all the momentum for more residential space and possibly office space if the vacancy rates fall fast enough. Things are shaping up for an interesting later half of the decade for Downtown Detroit.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:21 PM
Registered Ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I always wondered if Gilbert's original plan was to just rebuild the underground parking garage and get rid of the height limitation. Nowadays, it seems like he has plenty of resources to build something bigger and I don't think 16-floors was going to be enough. Especially given with all the momentum for more residential space and possibly office space if the vacancy rates fall fast enough. Things are shaping up for an interesting later half of the decade for Downtown Detroit.
My thoughts exactly. He has just the right combination of cash and ego to rebuild the deck and go for a 'Detroit's tallest' designation. Anything to take the focus off the RenCen would be a positive in my book, especially if the building hearkens to the city's past. Still, even if he goes big, I hope it's human scale at street level.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subterranean View Post
My thoughts exactly. He has just the right combination of cash and ego to rebuild the deck and go for a 'Detroit's tallest' designation. Anything to take the focus off the RenCen would be a positive in my book, especially if the building hearkens to the city's past. Still, even if he goes big, I hope it's human scale at street level.
The Ren Cen looks pretty good with the new lighting, but I agree that it is time for a new signature building in Detroit. Actually, its a bit past time.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2013, 11:18 PM
Honored Member

I also find it interesting that he's willing to go tall on that site. It seems that he has the option with the Statler site to build a new "tallest", and keep the Hudson site more in line with the surroundings. Does he even still have the development rights for the Statler site?

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 2:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hudkina View Post
I also find it interesting that he's willing to go tall on that site. It seems that he has the option with the Statler site to build a new "tallest", and keep the Hudson site more in line with the surroundings. Does he even still have the development rights for the Statler site?
I was unaware he ever did. It's not mentioned very often if he does.

Though I imagine whatever the height on Statler, he'd want to fill the street wall in a similar fashion to when the building was standing.

Old Posted Nov 27, 2013, 6:51 PM
Detroit Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
I was unaware he ever did. It's not mentioned very often if he does.

Though I imagine whatever the height on Statler, he'd want to fill the street wall in a similar fashion to when the building was standing.
He did when Quicken first said they were moving downtown the city offered them the rights to build a new HQ. Of course we know they didn't to that and instead decided to place employees in multiple building downtown. He may still have it as the Hudson site was also offered to them at the same time when they thinking about a new build HQ.

Old Posted Nov 28, 2013, 2:41 AM

Well, we do know that the development rights atop the Premier Garage were extended multiple times, but I don't recall ever hearing anything about the Statler site after the DEGC gave Gilbert the development rights way back in early 2006. I imagine that means that they expired. It's been over seven years now.

BTW, Stacy & Whitbeck, the general contractors for the Woodward Avenue Streetcar line, have now set up shop in White Construction's - the main construction company on the project - office in New Center across from Henry Ford Hospital. We will also find out who the vehicle vendor will be, next week.

Last edited by LMich; Nov 28, 2013 at 4:08 AM.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 2:58 PM

Quote:
March to bridge: State preps for land acquisition; Canada looks for a CEO
By Bill Shea. December 01, 2013

Michigan predicts it will cost $350 million — entirely provided by Canada — to identify and buy the properties in Detroit's Delray neighborhood needed to make way for a new bridge to Ontario.

The state is assembling a list of property owners in the 170 acres of the $2.1 billion New International Trade Crossing project that organizers say are needed for the six-lane span, its plaza and a highway interchange that are scheduled to open by 2020.

The land acquisition is one of the steps underway.

Also ongoing is Canada's search for a chief executive to lead the Windsor Detroit Bridge Authority, which will oversee the bi-national construction of the span and its operation. The position, advertised to pay up to $247,700 annually, reports to the authority's board of directors.

Next year, the authority will seek qualifications from companies interested in building and operating the bridge under a long-term concession agreement, making the project a public-private partnership.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...da-looks-for-a

At the very least, construction won't begin for another 3 years.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2013, 3:07 PM

This bridge cannot be built quick enough! Both Ontario and Michigan, and especially the windsor-Detroit area will benefit big time with this new, modern border crossing! Hopefully Maroun will take a permanent dirt nap so he can't interfere anymore!

Old Posted Dec 4, 2013, 5:46 PM

Not quite an official groundbreaking but an important step in the process nonetheless.

Late at Night, Workers Begin Installing M1 Rail's Utility Systems

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ty-systems.php

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 8:19 AM

Funny, I was just wondering why we'd not heard about the vehicle vendor, yet. The deadline was December 1st to choose the vendor, and I see nothing mentioned on the website. They didn't ever exactly say they were going to make the news public, but I did expect the media to be waiting for the deadline.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2013, 1:13 PM

I think they would announce it when they have the streetcar vendors. I was already really hoping they would have started by this year but persistently missing deadlines worries me for the worst case scenario of the project ballooning over budget or having persistent delays. I just hope that's more or my impatience with the project rather than any real problems.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2013, 9:23 AM

Between Curbed catching the utility relocation and other important bids having gone out and contracted months ago, the only thing that give me complete faith in this is when they announce the vendor for the actual streetcars. Other than that, I'm nearly completely satisfied that this is a done deal. I just thought they'd have announced the vehicle vendor, since the deadline was on the first, and they'd already narrowed it down to three companies last month.

Really, I'm just greedy to be able to put an image to the streetcar, finally, and get to critique the design. They'd been using Siemens S70's during the planning phases. I want to see if they've gone with Siemens. I actually like the more angular designed United Streetcar vehicles with Portland's system, but I have no idea how much they cost versus others.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations