HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 12:51 AM

My Form Z skyscraper design

Hey guys so I designed a skyscraper for one of my 3d software classes. With permission from Surrealplaces, I was able to use a couple of his virtual cities as backdrops for my building. They don't fit in the pictures perfectly because I'm not very good with the program yet, but tell me what you think of it. Thanks.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 12:58 AM

I like what see... It's simple yet refined. Nice proportion etc. but I would like to see a base because it could really "make or break" the building. Good work!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
I like what see... It's simple yet refined. Nice proportion etc. but I would like to see a base because it could really "make or break" the building. Good work!
I haven't really worked on the base yet. I'm still thinking of a few different designs I could do for the base. Any ideas anyone?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 2:14 AM

One thing I tried to incorporate on the building was tilted glass. It's hard to see very well, it isn't as noticeable as I imagined it. You can see in the second picture that the glass sections are tilted to the right and to the left all the way up the tower. My hope was that it would give off cool reflections when there was light shining on it.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 3:32 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

cool. Looks remarkably similar to the International Commerce Center in Hong Kong though: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=34949

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davee930 View Post
One thing I tried to incorporate on the building was tilted glass. It's hard to see very well, it isn't as noticeable as I imagined it. You can see in the second picture that the glass sections are tilted to the right and to the left all the way up the tower. My hope was that it would give off cool reflections when there was light shining on it.
Kick-ass idea! But yeah... it is hard to see from the rendering. The only other thing that stands out (or rather doesn't stand out) is the top... I don't know if you were just trying to "not" crown it, but it seems maybe too understated IMHO. Thought about lighting?

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
cool. Looks remarkably similar to the International Commerce Center in Hong Kong though: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=34949
Weird I'd never even seen that building before haha. It does look similar.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 4:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L.ARCH View Post
Kick-ass idea! But yeah... it is hard to see from the rendering. The only other thing that stands out (or rather doesn't stand out) is the top... I don't know if you were just trying to "not" crown it, but it seems maybe too understated IMHO. Thought about lighting?
Ya I tried to keep the top as simple as possible, I like other buildings that do the same sort of thing to hide mechanical units on top without adding "tacked" on things. I would put lighting if I knew how haha but I just started learning the program.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 5:10 AM

Quote:
I like

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 6:15 AM

I wonder how you would incorporate mechanical floors into the design...they are a must, and there's tons of creative examples out there to draw upon. A beautiful building, I will say so myself!

Old Posted Nov 19, 2007, 7:56 PM

Quote:
I haven't really worked on the base yet. I'm still thinking of a few different designs I could do for the base. Any ideas anyone?

Whatever your base design is...
Please dont forget the pedestrian. So many building designs forget that people are going to be walking by the building. Make the ground level interesting and enjoyable to walk past. If possible make it so that there can be ground level offices, retail, "cafe friendly". So that you dont create a wall of dead space that people will avoid or that will break up an already walkable, busy district.

I really wish building designers would take these things into consideration more. Looks nice in the rendering, but works horribly at street level in reality. Destroys connectedness.

I find it interesting on here when so many people on the one hand applaud busy, walkable, streets, but then turn right around and applaud a new building design,and placement, that would in effect not at all help in creating those friendly, street level, environments we love.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 5:55 PM
Complex Member

Is this rendered in Form Z aswell?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2007, 6:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Geometry View Post
Is this rendered in Form Z aswell?
Yep it's all With Form Z

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 9:34 PM

Not bad, but Form Z... *cringes*

It does have decent lighting render options, but in my opinion Form Z is an utter, unworkable piece of shit. I'll take Rhino (or anything else, including sitting around and staring at the wall) over Form Z any day. Good for you if you are good at it, but it's really not my cup of tea.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post

It does have decent lighting render options, but in my opinion Form Z is an utter, unworkable piece of shit. I'll take Rhino (or anything else, including sitting around and staring at the wall) over Form Z any day. Good for you if you are good at it, but it's really not my cup of tea.
Haha are you in my class? That's what most people say in my class. Ya it can be very annoying and it's a real pain to get used to that's for sure. It's decent once you get used to it though.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:31 PM
Senior Bezerkeleyite

looks like every SOM building since 1969, j/k

Looks nice, keep going

Old Posted Nov 30, 2007, 9:43 PM
Homo Platoregimontis

This building deserve to be available for Sim City 4 !!

Come to see our SC4 cities at http://www.toutsimcity.com/forums/af....php?forum=vil
or here : http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=117089

Old Posted Apr 5, 2008, 3:47 PM

Great work there

Old Posted Apr 6, 2008, 1:13 AM

I like this. I like it a lot. It's clean and empowering. No fancy details. It's brute and simple. Clear elegance and display of function.

Now please show your base design so I can either destroy your design or give it 100% appraisal.

PS. and also tell us what you plan to do with the top of the tower.

PS2. Your tower does not deserve to be in that sort of context, as it is simply dwarfed by neighboring towers covered with arty cladding. Therefore, your tower looks out of place. I suggest you put it in another context so that your tower gets the sort of dominant reputation it deserves.

Old Posted Apr 7, 2008, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecom View Post

u're probably really bad at form z.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Skyscraper & Urban Art