San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 3:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Sorry.

SALESFORCE TOWER DEAD (for now)

There you go.

Tell that to the Chicago Spire.

And you know about the legalities of Salesforce and BP's terms because...?
I think you are confused my friend. The construction of the towers will continue, what is at risk is the city being able to sell bonds to keep construction of the Transbay Transit Center going.

I don't want to see it go to litigation, but I'd love to see the developers get drop-kicked in court for their stupidity on this one

Anyways, stop spreading false information and hyperbole.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:12 AM

Just having some fun with you, good natured ribbing. (Just like the SF Tower.. oh wait, that's ribbed!)

You deserve it, some of you take yourselves so damn seriously!

But in all honesty, this is not good news- at all. This project is 20 years in the making and all has the potential to become unwound at the last minute.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 4:22 AM

I based my statement off of the legal concept of "reasonable reliance"

"in contracts, what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another. Typically, a person is promised a profit or other benefit, and in reliance takes steps in reliance on the promise, only to find the statements or promises were not true or were exaggerated. The one who relied can recover damages for the costs of his/her actions or demand performance if the reliance was "reasonable."" - Law.com

Looking at the news, Salesforce locked down their lease on April 11th and sold of their Mission Bay assets a few days later. They wouldn't have sold off that land as it was their backup plan. And to think the company wasn't using that as a negotiating tactic seems silly in a real estate market like San Francisco. As innovative and smart as the people are there I'm sure their team and their lawyers did their due diligence before signing the dotted line.

The tower is still a go as the planned occupancy by the company is in 2017.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejacks View Post
I based my statement off of the legal concept of "reasonable reliance"

"in contracts, what a prudent person would believe and act upon if told something by another. Typically, a person is promised a profit or other benefit, and in reliance takes steps in reliance on the promise, only to find the statements or promises were not true or were exaggerated. The one who relied can recover damages for the costs of his/her actions or demand performance if the reliance was "reasonable."" - Law.com

Looking at the news, Salesforce locked down their lease on April 11th and sold of their Mission Bay assets a few days later. They wouldn't have sold off that land as it was their backup plan. And to think the company wasn't using that as a negotiating tactic seems silly in a real estate market like San Francisco. As innovative and smart as the people are there I'm sure their team and their lawyers did their due diligence before signing the dotted line.

The tower is still a go as the planned occupancy by the company is in 2017.
I agree. Hines has huge holding costs for this tower, which includes: Land acquisition, SGA, the now complete foundation prep which that alone cost near $100 million, and I'm sure there is a opt-out or delay penalty for the lease with Salesforce. If they were to delay, the best time to do it would be this very moment before shoring and excavation work begins. Make it a parking lot.

But they aren't, work is proceeding full speed ahead. Just look at the construction cam.

And finally the biggest reason that this won't stop construction. The lawsuit can go on for "years" WHILE Hines gets money from Salesforce for the lease. They can and will do this in parallel. If they win, great. If not they still have the lease, and the hottest commercial real estate market west of NYC.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 6:55 PM

So to sum up:
1) construction of all currently under-construction buildings (including Salesforce Tower and other TransBay/Rincon area towers) are moving ahead as before
2) Transbay terminal is delayed pending litigation?
3) TransBay area buildings yet to break ground (like 50 First Street) are on hold pending litigation?

Frankly, I care less about 2). It seems that cost and timeline overruns have already precluded its completion for at least awhile

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
So to sum up:
1) construction of all currently under-construction buildings (including Salesforce Tower and other TransBay/Rincon area towers) are moving ahead as before
3) TransBay area buildings yet to break ground (like 50 First Street) are on hold pending litigation?

Frankly, I care less about 2). It seems that cost and timeline overruns have already precluded its completion for at least awhile
I would say #2 is still ongoing until they need to issue more bonds. And then it might be put on hold. But it will still keep going until current funds run out.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggerhigherfaster View Post
So to sum up:

1) is true.
2) Isn't true, it only may become true if a developer decides to sue and tie up the bonding process by SF. Work will continue on the TTC in the meantime.
3) Not true. They are going to build whatever they can and get whatever money they can, they are just trying to prevent having to give up some of that profit to the TTC. NOT building their buildings isn't likely unless the economy nosedives or something.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2014, 7:46 PM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
On the “slim chance” that the developers prevail “in their attempts to delay the Transbay project,” officials would need to seek alternative funding to complete the transit center, said Adam Alberti, a spokesman for the authority.
This really only affects the train portion/downtown extension of Transbay. The rest of the site will continue being built. The city will just be forced to sell land if they really do screw this up, but I seriously doubt a cancellation of any current plans. wakame is really jumping the gun by saying salesforce tower is dead...

Old Posted Sep 25, 2014, 3:13 PM
Fake News

Nixing the transit terminal will definitely cause problems for employees of the tower. Never been to SanFran before but am assuming this will add further traffic congestion to a dense area.

On another note I have to say this tower has really grown on me. Originally I was flabbergasted that they didn't go with the SOM proposal, but this one is quite elegant and somehow fits the skyline better.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 2:08 AM
Φιλαδέλφεια

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
I hope this tower isn't dead. What a fantastic proposal for a great city. I visit the Bay Area every now and then and love San Fran. This would be an amazing addition to a great skyline.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 5:54 AM
Droppin' Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-Drew View Post
I hope this tower isn't dead. What a fantastic proposal for a great city. I visit the Bay Area every now and then and love San Fran. This would be an amazing addition to a great skyline.

It's not dead. Ignore that title.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
It's not dead. Ignore that title.
Its not dead, its just not being built..................yet.

Hopefully things sort themselves out and construction can pick up.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post

Actually, it's been under construction for months now. They just finished installing a bunch of nearly 300 foot deep caissons.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 3:40 PM

Quote:

It is definitely being built, you can check the transbay transit center's construction cameras and see all the construction at the tower's site next to the transit center's site.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2014, 6:41 PM
Get me out of here

Quote:

What are you talking about?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 12:19 AM

Hello. I'm a first-time commenter but very long-time onlooker. This is one of the most delightful sites on the Internet.

I stopped by the Salesforce Tower construction site on Wednesday (Oct. 8) and chatted up one of the two guys who were directing traffic in and out of it on Fremont St. I asked him if the financial problems with the Transbay project were having any effect on the pace of construction. (As I was talking to him, I could see that activity on the Salesforce site was going full-tilt.)

He pointed south and said, "Thats' next door's problem, not ours," referring to the adjacent big dig where they're prepping the Transbay terminal site.

Just to make sure, I asked him, "So that means work here is fully underway?"

"Yep."

Now I know that talking to a hard hat on the lowest rung of the totem pole is not exactly the word from on high. Still, I figured that since he had to show up at work and direct all the heavy traffic coming in and out of the construction site, something's gotta be up.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 2:15 AM

^welcome, and thanks for the update!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 3:31 AM
Build Baby Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspirit View Post
Hello. I'm a first-time commenter but very long-time onlooker. This is one of the most delightful sites on the Internet.

I stopped by the Salesforce Tower construction site on Wednesday (Oct. 8) and chatted up one of the two guys who were directing traffic in and out of it on Fremont St. I asked him if the financial problems with the Transbay project were having any effect on the pace of construction. (As I was talking to him, I could see that activity on the Salesforce site was going full-tilt.)

He pointed south and said, "Thats' next door's problem, not ours," referring to the adjacent big dig where they're prepping the Transbay terminal site.

Just to make sure, I asked him, "So that means work here is fully underway?"

"Yep."

Now I know that talking to a hard hat on the lowest rung of the totem pole is not exactly the word from on high. Still, I figured that since he had to show up at work and direct all the heavy traffic coming in and out of the construction site, something's gotta be up.
Stop lurking and start posting!

I personally don't think there are real problems on either the salesforce site nor the transbay terminal site. Disagreements in cost and things of this nature are commonplace on ten-year projects involving dozens of city and private stakeholders. But the salesforce site is definitely going up full steam since more than half the building is already accounted for.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:43 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post

I personally don't think there are real problems on either the salesforce site nor the transbay terminal site. Disagreements in cost and things of this nature are commonplace on ten-year projects involving dozens of city and private stakeholders. But the salesforce site is definitely going up full steam since more than half the building is already accounted for.
Total agreed. And thanks Larkspirit for posting.

BXP and Hines are the equity behind SF Tower. Core funds, one publicly traded, the other funded by off-shore money. From all accounts, this is a very long-term play, build-to-core type of investment. They have gotten this far; they are likely close to locking down financing with a 55% pre-leasing commitment from a blue chip technology firm with a long (relative to industry) operating history, and this will be worldwide corporate HQ for them. Pre-leasing hurdles could be as low as 15-20%, though a construction loan won't be fully funded that low.

Also, in case nobody's noticed, SF is now the most expensive office market with one of the tightest class A vacancies, and undergoing a major tech boom. Now is NOT the time to sit on the sidelines. Of course this economy might not last, but if you have a longer term strategy, you need to capitalize now on what you know to be going on, and ride out any dips in the future (and then you'll be poised for the next upswing before the next round of construction gets going and you can sell!).

This tower is not getting built *because* of the TB Terminal. Employees will already be able to take BART/Muni to SF Tower, which they already do to all of the neighboring towers that Salesforce already leases well over a million square feet in.

For those who don't know, Jay Paul's tower is financed. Not sure if it's been announced, but it's financed at crazy terms and has no pre-leasing. That guy has big fuckin balls, as evidenced by how many times he's doubled-down in the Valley/Peninsula in the middle of downturns. If THAT tower's going up, Salesforce Tower IS GOING UP.

Oh, and a few million sunk into a project in Portland is one thing - in the grand scheme of a fund operated by a huge firm like Hines or BXP, that can be overlooked. Someone might get fired, but the world is not going to end. With no financing in place for SF Tower, Hines and BXP are in literally hundreds of millions of dollars already, if not on the land alone. That is a little more than a sunk cost at worst case scenario. With the kind of money they have, if things go REALLY sour, they are going to strategize to recoup that money (because they won't get half of what they paid for the land alone, and that's well more than $100M lost right off the bat by doing nothing considering what's in the ground), perhaps by lowering IRR expectations and going for multiple - extending term, giving lease freebies just to get cash flow sooner, etc etc. The "success" story alone of building/leasing and eventually selling way down the road is one that brings a ton of goodwill to these types of companies. "Failing" can do a lot of harm. We aren't talking mom&pop shops, or Hines using a pocket of money in a more value-add fund and partnering with a local developer (like a Jay Paul). No, this is Hines Skyline (I think)/Boston.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post

Maybe not on the tower site, but there are clearly problems on the terminal site. Costs continue to increase, and the City keeps accepting bids that it doesn't really have the money to cover. Cost is a couple of hundred million or more over the budget and from what I understand even the budget itself is not completely funded - so they are several hundred million dollars short to complete only the terminal. At least that's what I understand from friends on the inside. And no money in sight for the $2-3-4? billion needed to build the tunnel to get the trains there.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture