HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
It looked like they had another rendering of one of the buildings, but it's behind the pay slab...

http://www.mystatesman.com/news/news...s-shape/nd6gD/
Here it is:

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 5:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Here it is:
I do like the design-- nice and simple, but I think I prefer the hospital San Antonio is building (if only for the diversity of colors and materials):

Old Posted Mar 6, 2014, 8:19 PM

[QUOTE=hereinaustin;6481766]I do like the design-- nice and simple, but I think I prefer the hospital San Antonio is building (if only for the diversity of colors and materials):

I'm confused. What is this rendering of?

Last edited by IluvATX; Mar 7, 2014 at 5:36 AM.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
I'm confused. What is this rendering of?
The original image is for the new hospital being built by Seton, which will be the teaching hospital for Dell Medical School (UT-Austin).

The pictures I posted are for the new hospital being built by University Hospital, which will be the teaching hospital for UTHSCSA (UT-Medical School in San Antonio).

I was only providing those images to compare the designs. Sorry for the confusion.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 1:32 AM
Meh

It looks like the Whole Foods HQ. It does remind me of some of the other campus buildings.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2014, 5:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
I do like the design-- nice and simple, but I think I prefer the hospital San Antonio is building (if only for the diversity of colors and materials):

That's what I didn't understand because the materials and colors are exactly the same.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 7:56 AM
Meh

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/bl...n.html?ana=fbk
Quote:
Mar 10, 2014, 11:32am CDT
Lady Bird Lake area among possible sites for Erwin Center replacement

Chad Swiatecki
Staff Writer-
Austin Business Journal

There appear to be four possible sites in the greater Austin area that could accommodate the replacement for the University of Texas’ Frank Erwin Center, with land currently occupied by the Austin American-Statesman on Congress Avenue appearing to be the most hospitable location.

The Austin American-Statesman reports that the newspaper's property, just south of Lady Bird Lake, joins property at the Mueller development, the Brackenridge tract in west Austin and land on Manor Road east of I-35 among the four potential sites for an arena that would likely cost about $200 million and seat around 25,000 people.
-

http://www.kvue.com/sports/more/UT-l...249361921.html
Quote:
UT assesses possibility of DKR renovation

by MATT MITCHELL / KVUE Sports
Bio | Email | Follow: @MattM_KVUE
kvue.com
Posted on March 10, 2014 at 7:14 PM
Updated today at 10:24 PM

AUSTIN -- University of Texas Athletics, with the assistance of PricewaterhouseCoopers (PwC), has begun a feasibility study on the completion of the south end of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. The study will evaluate the renovation needs of existing seating and fan amenities throughout the stadium to assure an overall quality of fan experience.

“We continue to plan for the future of UT Athletics and work to provide a superior gameday experience for all our fans and stakeholders,” said Steve Patterson, Men’s Athletics Director. “The south end project is conceptual at this point. Any further planning will depend on a variety of factors to be studied over the next several months.”

The study will assess all operational upgrades necessary, including the replacement of parking and fan amenities displaced by the construction of the new Dell Medical School, located just south of the stadium.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:03 PM

Patterson is not messing around. I really think he was a good choice as AD for many reasons, but he has experience with large construction projects and athletic wise, top two priorities need to be better basketball stadium with good atmosphere and improving the atmosphere at DKR. DKR will be improved by giving the student body a larger seating area in the south endzone and enclosing the stadium will help trap sound.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:28 PM

I don't want to sound cynical, but I think the Erwin Center replacement should remain on university grounds.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:45 PM

I agree that it should stay on university grounds. In fact it should really stay where it is. Do a Madison square garden type thing with it. Build towers around it and put a green roof on top if possible. You could totally demolish it if need be but It should stay where it is. Its the best location for it. They just need to demolish it and build a new one there that fits in with the med center. They are being retarded and they can't get their shit together to build a better campus.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:50 PM

Put it over red river right next to Dean Keaton next to the bubble. For Christs sake look at an aerial map and you can find loads of places to put it on campus.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 4:57 PM

They think like they are in a suburban environment but do they realise their campus is downtown. They need to fire someone quick. Look how dense old campus is and then how much wasted space there is in the newer parts of campus. Idiots.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 5:41 PM

While I can agree with keeping the stadium on the 40 acres, it depends on what they want the new one to be like. If it will just be a basketball stadium, they can make it smaller and there are more places it could go. If it is a joint venture with the city and will be in the 25k capacity range, it probably wont fit there. It isn't going to be in the new medical district, they can't make it taller because of CVCs so you aren't going to see huge buildings there. I think the best thing would be to consolidate parking via garages and build it south of the Meyers soccer/track stadium. Only concern is I am not sure how restrictive the CVC is there.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 6:45 PM

A new arena on the bank of the lake would be good for both Austin and UT for a number of reasons, but it's probably not ideal. For one thing, it occupies space that could go to residential development. Methinks the NIMBYs in the area would object vehemently. I mean, they'll probably object to just about anything, but definitely this. Still, they're no match for UT in the political clout department. It would be good for UT in that it would be a scenic location which would appeal to recruits and organizations wanting to hold events there (which I'm sure UT makes oodles of money on). It's also arguably more easily accessible than the location of the Erwin Center because you can get there from the north, south, east, and west. Even by boat, if you so desired.

It would be great for Austin because it would put a bunch of people right in the heart of downtown instead of slightly outside of it. That makes people more likely to spend time/money down there.

Part of me hates the idea but another part of me absolutely loves it. I definitely don't like the idea of putting it at Mueller. If it's between the Statesman site and Mueller, I have to go with the Statesman site.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 9:51 PM
Member since 2001

The President of the University has already stated that a new arena won't be "on campus."

I've heard that talks may be heating up a bit with the Statesman and Stratus Properties (regarding their South Shore sites; 18 and 12 acres respectively). The Statesman has been toying with the notion of moving for years. I would tend to assume the "right" buyer has yet to step up to the free-throw line. (Sorry for the pun).

The mention of the Breckenridge Tract as a possible site is a joke...smoke screen.

This is going to be interesting to watch!

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 10:36 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

If the arena is build at the AAS site, I will go to more games. If it's built at Mueller, I'll rarely go to games.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 10:41 PM
Austinite

How about developing the Statesman arena as a vertical mixed-use development? While I am not 100% serious, perhaps there are examples elsewhere in the nation or world. At least some ground floor retail along the internal street network. Regardless, it will be a great site with immediate access to the proposed Riverside leg of the urban rail line.

Old Posted Mar 11, 2014, 10:46 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

That would actually be pretty cool. A Madison Square Garden type development. Retail and practice/training facilities on the ground floor, 2nd/3rd level basketball arena and lockerrooms, 4th/5th level convention space.

They are already thinking about building a bridge over the river at Trinity. The arena would have a direct connect to the convention center.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 1:32 AM

VMU stadium sounds innovative and badass.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2014, 3:42 AM

Hey Kevin(fromtexas), there is a picture I modified from my old what if thread that shows what an arena might look like at the AAS site. Its on page six. Could you repost it here? I think it gives a good visual and seems quite relevant now.
thanks in advance sir.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin