Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 8:42 PM

I don't see Tehama either.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 9:49 PM
She needs her space

The model is still good enough whereby I would want to stop by Autodesk's office to check it out. Lots of the missing buildings are literally UC now, so we won't have to wait long in reality to see the effect.

I noticed that Salesforce Tower has the same # of pages of discussion as Comcast's new tower in Philadelphia (Sir Norman Foster design, 1100+ ft tall w spire), which hasn't yet broken ground. I wonder which tower is going to garner more overall discussion/press.

People in Philadelphia have recently seen a similar sized tower rise already and know what's it like to have that much steel working its way up the skyline. We are not used to this. If 181 Fremont has a similar amount of caissons and is undergoing a similar construction process before going vertical, and is starting excavation next month, how much further behind is Salesforce Tower considering it started putting its caissons in the ground only a month or two behind 181 Fremont? Are we going to be seeing tower cranes and basement work by the end of the year?

Old Posted Jun 3, 2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
The model is still good enough whereby I would want to stop by Autodesk's office to check it out. Lots of the missing buildings are literally UC now, so we won't have to wait long in reality to see the effect.

Oh don't get me wrong, I think the model is incredible and would see it in person in a heartbeat...in fact, I'm sure I'll make it over there. For whatever reason the 3D impact of the skyline blew me away moreso than their flyover animated video (which I thought was amazing in my own right), and to have 6-7 significant and likely projects missing from the model, not to mention SF's two tallest missing as well as other north FiDi buildings, and still make that level of impact is beyond exciting. The aerial of the completed skyline is going to be outrageous.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2014, 8:58 AM

This tower is growing on me and I am starting to think it was a better choice over the SOM proposal.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2014, 1:25 AM

It would have been even more of a shame to have seen SOM's design cut down to 1000 feet, and possibly value engineered rather than Pelli's.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2014, 11:35 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Shots from PRIDE Sunday

Old Posted Jul 12, 2014, 11:28 PM

FYI there is now a twitter feed for this...

@SalesforceTower

it has some pics and news.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 3:29 PM

The transbay cam is showing a lot of equipment being moved off site. So they are either getting ready to put caissons in a different location, or they are done.

July is interesting both here and at 181 Fremont.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 5:23 PM
She needs her space

^^^The site doesn't have the same constraints as the 181 site where they would need to move the concrete mixers or construction trailers. I wouldn't be surprised if they are done if only for the fact that the building has a similar amount of caissons as 181 and they started at the same time and have been going full steam ever since.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2014, 10:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

I hope you guys are right. So excavation would start next, yes?

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:55 AM

Salesforce Tower? What a name for a Tower!!! Is this the name of the corporation that will inhabit this building?

Transbay Tower sounds so much better!!!

To me, it's as screwy as when they re-named Sears Tower the Willis Tower!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:10 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

I like this design and the architect associated with. I only wish it was taller. This design is something that would make for a fantastic 1500 ft'r. I always think of this as the short, American version of the IFC in Hong Kong that isn't living to the full potential that such a design can allow for. But in the end, lets be glad SF allowed this. Can't wait for this one to grace the skyline.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 11:41 AM

Yes, Salesforce is the name of the company that will be headquartered there. Also, baby steps. We don't have a single 1500 foot tower anywhere in the US, so I would not expect one on the West coast anytime soon. I do agree that this one would have looked amazing at that height though. I am jsut glad that we are getting another supertall.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 7:53 PM
Only Mostly Dead

Seven things you didn't know about the Salesforce Tower from Blanca Torres at the SF Business Times.

Interesting article. Here are a few items that caught my eye:
  • There will be a light installation at the top from one of the "top artists in the world." We'll find out who in September.
  • It will have 13' ceilings and 10' windows for sweeping views.
  • Boston Properties is still considering wind turbines on the roof.
  • Every floor will have 100% natural air.

More details at the link.

Tiburon Miami 1 Miami 2 Ye Olde San Francisco SF: Canyons, waterfront... SF: South FiDi SF: South Park

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 8:55 PM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMBY View Post
Salesforce Tower? What a name for a Tower!!! Is this the name of the corporation that will inhabit this building?

Transbay Tower sounds so much better!!!

To me, it's as screwy as when they re-named Sears Tower the Willis Tower!
You do realize that Sears was named after the corporation that inhabited it? Also its not the same because the Sears Tower was the Sears Tower for 36 years. Transbay Tower never stood or will stand as Transbay Tower.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 9:51 PM
She needs her space

^^^Lol. Yes. All true. I think people forget that Sears is actually a corporation because it is so irrelevant in this time and age. It almost sounds like a family name or a street name or something other than a corporation. Similarly, the Chrysler Building. Or also in Chicago the Aon Tower. Or how about taking the name of Mr. Trump? Or, even the John Hancock Tower, named for a corporation even though it's mixed use.

The only supertall tower to still be referred to a non-corporate name is the Empire State Building, which requires going back in time to the depression era when the thing was built to find out how it got its name. It still is considered a less than prestigious tower to office, hence why it isn't the home of a major corporate HQ or presence (not saying it's shit, but it's no Solow Tower or General Motors building, both of which are much shorter and less aesthetically pleasing from an exterior standpoint but far better and more prestigious office buildings).

Anyway, I can understand how "Salesforce" Tower doesn't ring so well to the ears, but it's no different than any other tower from the pre-Depression era and the 1950s onward. FTR, apparently London's Heron Tower is going to be renamed "Salesforce" Tower, as well, since it will host Salesforce's European HQ.

Back to construction - the webcam clearly shows the caisson drills and other equipment to put those pilings in the ground being dismantled. I think it's safe to say that foundation work is largely done here and excavation will commence as soon as the tower portion of the site is cleared and excavation equipment is brought there. So BXP/Hines is ahead of Jay Paul in this tower race, and who woulda thunk what with all the publicity Jay Paul's tower has gotten relative to this one from a construction standpoint.

Reflection:

1) Salesforce Tower caissons went deeper than 181 Fremont's, but 181 Fremont's got the "record breaking" press

2) Salesforce Tower finished piling work before 181 Fremont, but we only know that from webcams since 181 Fremont has produced a ton of press in regards to timing

Back to progress.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut gallery View Post
Seven things you didn't know about the Salesforce Tower from Blanca Torres at the SF Business Times.

Interesting article. Here are a few items that caught my eye:
  • There will be a light installation at the top from one of the "top artists in the world." We'll find out who in September.
  • It will have 13' ceilings and 10' windows for sweeping views.
  • Boston Properties is still considering wind turbines on the roof.
  • Every floor will have 100% natural air.

More details at the link.

Every time I look out at the SF skyline I can't help but think how dated it looks. All those "old" masonry clad boxes with square windows, very powerful looking, but clunky. Then I look at the little development we can see so far of Downtown 2.0 and then I imagine all of these new tower proposals filling in the skyline, and everything north of Market will be the "historic" financial downtown district, and everything south of Market is now becoming the modern, high tech (in both industry and construction), uber expensive, flagship downtown, and it is so exciting. I don't think any other city in the country can compare to the renovation of downtown and the skyline as SF. And I get to see it happening first hand!

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:19 PM

^^ I feel bad for the workers at 181 Fremont. It must be a logistical hell to work on a footprint that small, and be constrained on all sides.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2014, 10:40 PM
Build Baby Build

It is great that SF tower is a little ahead, since it is bigger it means this and 181 fremont will rise together and finish at about the same time.

I am guessing that the person above who doesn't know what salesforce is also doesn't realize that they are the biggest player in the city.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 4:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
I am guessing that the person above who doesn't know what salesforce is also doesn't realize that they are the biggest player in the city.
Biggest player in the city? In what way? By revenue, they definitely aren't first, and are dwarfed by Bechtel, McKesson, Wells Fargo, etc.

Though maybe you meant in terms of current skyscraper construction? In which case, yeah they win.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture