HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:53 AM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37TimPPG View Post
If you have a little bit of elevation, a clear sky and everything is just right...YES! you can see Canada!
Thanks! I have always wondered about that. Now I know!

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 5:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philadelphiathrives View Post
I really don't think it was Philadelphia's fault that Erie didn't become a big city. The state created the Pennsylvania Railroad to provide a link between Philadelphia and Lake Erie, through Pittsburgh, because the mountains were too high to build a canal. The railroad was mostly funded by Philadelphia wealth, and eastern politicians, and connected Erie to the most extensive rail network in the world and the Atlantic Ocean.

Erie had an incredible opportunity to benefit from that wealth and the railroad, and for whatever reason didn't capitalize on it.
Quote:
I was referring to what Evergrey said about why Erie isn't a bigger city. He blamed it on "insular, Eastern PA politicians". I reminded him that those same politicians supported building the Pennsylvania Railroad, which largely built this state. And the money for that largely came from the Philadelphia area. The express purpose was to provide a link between Philadelphia and Erie to compete with the Erie Canal in NY state.
Quote:
Sorry, Evergrey. It was pj3000 who said that. I apologize unreservedly.

Yeah it was me. This was actually what I wrote:

historians largely lay the blame on Philadelphia and eastern PA political insularity in failing to realize the potential that a Great Lakes port holds for a state (New York, Ohio, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Ontario all realized it quite well... Buffalo, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, Milwaukee, and Toronto are proof of this).

I, myself, wasn't blaming or placing any fault on Philadephia. That's just what histories of the state's development tell us. While the state did extend the Penn Railroad to Erie, it's connection to a Great Lakes port was terribly underutilized throughout its existence (especially in support of the state's massive steel industry).

And, by the way, some of your PA railroad history is a bit incorrect. The Penn Railroad did not go from Philadelphia to Erie thru Pittsburgh as you stated; the Erie & Pittsburg Railroad was established after the Phialdelphia & Erie RR (thru central PA as the Sunbury & Erie RR originally). The Erie & Pitt was a separate line. Also, the railroad's extension to Erie was only partly funded by Philadelphia corporate railway money. A great deal of funding for the extension of the Pennsylvania RR line thru central PA to Erie and the Erie & Pitt. RR came from what became the New York Central RR and the Cleveland & Ashtabula RR. Those railroads (and cities: Buffalo, Cleveland) saw the benefit of being tied into Erie's harbor (and used it) and the rest of the PA Railroad system moreso than the rest of Pennsylvania did.

Last edited by pj3000; Mar 3, 2009 at 3:35 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boden View Post
I was wondering if you can ever see land across the lake from Erie?
Yeah, on the first high ridge south of the lakeshore, you can see North America's largest coal-fired power plant towers in Nanticoke, Ontario on a pretty clear day.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
whoa...

http://kdka.com/local/Erie.snow.record.2.947232.html

Erie Approaching Season-Record For Snowfall

ERIE (AP) ―

Erie is closing in fast on a season record for snowfall.

So far this year, the city in northwestern Pennsylvania has seen nearly 142 inches of snow - that's just under 12 feet.

Erie needs approximately seven more inches to set a new record, which currently stands at just over 149 inches.
What's amazing is that south of the city along the Allegheny Plateau ridge in SE Erie County and across the border into Chautauqua NY County, some high elevation areas are nearing 300" for the season.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:26 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Yeah, on the first high ridge south of the lakeshore, you can see North America's largest coal-fired power plant towers in Nanticoke, Ontario on a pretty clear day.
Hopefully that will be shut down soon. It was supposed to be closed this year...now it is set for 2013...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 3:30 PM

^ yeah, it's slated for shut-down soon! Canada is doing a great job completely weaning itself off of coal-fired power plants. If only the USA had as much vision and less greed...

Old Posted Mar 3, 2009, 9:50 PM

Wow! I have never seen much of Erie. I remember the show, Erie, PA. I'd love to see it in person. Great set!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 3:22 AM

^ I think you're thinking of the show "Eerie, Indiana" from the 1990s.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 5:32 AM
Red Hook Aficionado

XXL Granularly Gritastic... most excellent!

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 1:41 PM
Reach for the Clouds

Quote:
^ yeah, it's slated for shut-down soon! Canada is doing a great job completely weaning itself off of coal-fired power plants. If only the USA had as much vision and less greed...
Canada is no saint in this department either, hence the closing date keeps getting postponed.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2009, 9:28 PM
BANNED

Despite the dilapidation of much of the housing stock....I find the environment itself so much more interesting ,warm , and sustainable than the typical cul-du-sac sprawl housing pod

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 3:08 AM

I lived next door in the white house across the street (to the right):

I witnessed some crazy brawls outside my bedroom window! My dad and I would sit there and drink and watch those people come outside and fight, lol.

Before it became Lamas, it was "Big Dawgz". I don't understand why the neighbors are making such a big deal about it now. Back then, it was targeted to the biker style crowd. I hated it then cuz those aS*holes would sit there and rev there bikes. They still fought then, and the liter was just as bad. By the way, the homicides were actually not at the club. They were nearby and the neighbors are trying to blame the club for it. There are numerous bars along East Ave and all over East Erie.
Quote:
Two murders at this club in less than a year, along with a few shootings, and numerous fights, and I still don't think they've shut it down.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 3:10 AM

By the way, thanks for the awesome tour! I don't think there has ever been a thread like this one of Erie

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobermankid View Post
By the way, the homicides were actually not at the club. They were nearby and the neighbors are trying to blame the club for it. There are numerous bars along East Ave and all over East Erie.

The first one was right out front on the sidewalk after the two involved left Lamas. The second happened on East 10th just around the corner after a drug deal gone bad inside the club. Lamas' Bar is a nuisance, it provides the setting for much of the crap that goes on and it spills out into the street... just like the Twenty Grand and Busy Bee Tavern used to, and the Knotty Pine, Sophia's, Starlite, Metroplex, Steppin Out Lounge, etc. do today.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 7:48 PM
not cleavefied

hmm...missed this the first time around.

Nice jorb.

I want a beer at bobby's place.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2009, 8:49 PM
Here we stAy

Wow, I remember looking at this thread back when it was first posted, but can't believe I didn't say so. Great work on the shots.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 4:15 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Erie is the BEST city in all of Northwestern Pennsylvania.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2009, 5:01 AM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA Pride View Post
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that I think Erie is the BEST city in all of Northwestern Pennsylvania.
I prefer Warren and Franklin.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2009, 6:42 AM
Dryer lint inspector

awesome thread EG. i've actually been there...and had seafood but don't remember too much of the city.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2009, 1:38 AM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
awesome thread EG. i've actually been there...and had seafood but don't remember too much of the city.
Well, not surprising. It hasn't been all that memorable but now with the redeveloped waterfront/convention center it's finally utilizing its assets.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos