HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 2:44 PM

Sawtooth, I am quoting a few of your photos you posted a few weeks ago from that garage on Bannock. You deserve credit for the beautiful and unique photos you share in the Boise threads!

I want to check out the 9th Street Nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawtooth View Post

Exclusive Sawtooth SSP views of progress on the Hyatt hotel.

Something new, 9th Street Nook opening soon.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 4:40 PM
not a cynic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhGoodGlavin View Post
It looks like this trade is near closing: http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e66766287.html

Does anyone know specifically which parcel in the "West End" is being traded?
I'm pretty sure it's what I call the old Roundtree Chevrolet site. The SE corner of Main and WWP. Thanks for that link, I hadn't seen that story. Conditions = build 50 housing units, dang interesting. I see they're still trying to push that "west end" rebranding thing. Come on Sven, are you getting paid to use that expression? Because no one down here calls it "west end." Someone has even edited google maps with the phrase "west end."

Note: Vacant lot to SE of that, the old Thriftway Lumber site belongs to St Lukes. Vacant lot to NW is the Bob Rice Ford site which CWI is coveting.

Ada County property search: It's multiple lots but, 2800 W Fairview = 4.9 acres, 2811 W Main = .15 acres, 2901 W Main = 1.48 acres, totaling about 6.5 acres

Last edited by boisecynic; Mar 18, 2016 at 5:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2016, 11:59 PM
Closed account

Idaho's only Frank Lloyd Wright House

The event is at 7 pm on March 19 at Immanuel Lutheran Church on Fort Street in Boise.

Read more: http://idahobusinessreview.com/2016/...#ixzz43IpeNTrp

More information:
http://www.preservationidaho.org/eve...modern-masters

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...ho&FORM=HDRSC2

Last edited by Architecture Buff; Mar 19, 2016 at 1:00 AM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2016, 5:20 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Another spotting of a new business opening soon.

Looking down the alley next to the new bar.
Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 12:41 AM

More on bike lanes... the city weighs in on their preference: http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/the...nt?oid=3739384

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 9:30 PM
Closed account

Downtown

March 20,2016

City Center

City Center Convention Bldg

Simplot World HQ

Residence Inn by Marriott and Inn at 500 Capitol

Storage unit project at River and 13th

Brewery along Pioneer Trail by river

Old Posted Mar 20, 2016, 11:42 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

It is Treefort week The trees are beginning to bloom, it is currently 69 degrees outside and the first day of Spring.

After going to the flower show downtown earlier today, I walked around and snapped some photos of trees in urban settings (yes, I am a camera nerd) and a few in the Northend.
I will be posting them in my Treefort thread.
(why not right? that thread already exists and I don't want to post too many pics on one page of this thread and plus there needs to be more diversity within the first 15 threads in the MW)

Have you also learned that secret from the river; that there is no such thing as time? That the river is everywhere at the same time, at the source and at the mouth, at the waterfall, at the ferry, at the current, in the ocean and in the mountains.-Hermann Hesse

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 4:42 PM

Heres a new view of the future Grove Plaza/Convention Center Additions. I hadn't seen this one yet. I like how enclosed the Grove will feel. It will finally have more of an urban plaza vibe to it.

Source: 3/14/16 Meeting Agenda from CCDC Boise website.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 5:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVurban View Post
Heres a new view of the future Grove Plaza/Convention Center Additions. I hadn't seen this one yet. I like how enclosed the Grove will feel. It will finally have more of an urban plaza vibe to it.

Source: 3/14/16 Meeting Agenda from CCDC Boise website.
I agree, I really like this look.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 5:31 PM
Certified Idahoan

My only concern about this design as shown here is spaced seating. One of my favorite aspects of plazas like this is they are comfortable to find a spot to lounge, or open a book. Pioneer square in Portland, for example, is sunken with a bunch of wide steps that people feel free to sit on. I just hope it doesn't become a nice open area with nothing within it that invites you to stop walking and hang out a bit.

I would like something like several benches and some raised "sit-able" planter boxes for the trees, with enough pure open space to set up a stage and spread out as well.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2016, 9:47 PM

Here is an interesting article regarding Vista Avenue.

http://urbanland.uli.org/sustainabil...-vista-avenue/

Creating a Healthier Commercial Corridor along Boise’s Vista Avenue

and from the city website:

http://energize.cityofboise.org/medi...report_web.pdf

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 6:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cottonwood View Post
Here is an interesting article regarding Vista Avenue.

http://urbanland.uli.org/sustainabil...-vista-avenue/

Creating a Healthier Commercial Corridor along Boise’s Vista Avenue

and from the city website:

http://energize.cityofboise.org/medi...report_web.pdf
I'm still not sold on reducing Vista by a lane in each direction for on-street parking until there is a viable reason to do so. I don't think reducing traffic speed is going to cut it because there aren't really any businesses along Vista that don't have plenty of off-street parking, so it could potentially go completely unused. Based on some of the newer businesses on Overland and Vista, it seems that the zoning is moving toward a more pedestrian model, but without the density to support it removing lanes is very premature. The type of density required for their "Idaho Brooklyn" idea is never going to happen if the city doesn't start allowing whole neighborhoods to be bulldozed. There has been quite a lot of shotgun homes going up in the Vista/Overland neighborhood, but even that isn't enough.

What I'd like to see is a serious look at a light rail proposal going from Downtown and up Vista to the airport, but only if zoning was drastically changed to allow for dense TOD. Having the light rail go to the airport creates an obvious and important link, but also provides a close location to create a park and ride into Downtown, a storage facility for the light rail itself, and the chance to build a vast, truly urban neighborhood right on downtown's doorstep. Most of those homes could be torn down, as shown by the number of shotgun homes sprouting up.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 6:00 PM
Closed account

Vista and Light Rail

Turning Vista into a two lane street would be another disaster as was the Curtis connection to Garden City that had to be redone when it was a bumper to bumper nightmare.
Vista is the Airport to Downtown connector, and needs to be widen but of course that would be a future project costing millions.
The light rail idea connecting all of the valley would be the ideal solution, and the tracks are already there for a main line. Other cities have made park and ride lots, and development around the stations have seen condos and restaurants. People want to be near them to connect to downtown jobs or quick rides to the other side of the metro area.
Portland's system should be studied, as it connects their metro area quite well.

http://www.travelportland.com/article/max-light-rail/

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 6:49 PM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

Widen Vista Ave? Hell no, it is plenty wide and besides many businesses and homes are built right up to the sidewalks. The two lanes in each direction need to be narrowed so bike lanes can be added and to also improve the pedestrian experience on the sidewalks.

I commute up and down Vista several days a week and am familiar with the traffic patterns.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 6:59 PM

Vista under no circumstances should be widened. Widening Vista would only encourage the suburban strip malls that currently dominate that corridor. Reducing a lane in each direction would slow traffic down and allow for a more pedestrian friendly environment, which I would prefer. Because let's all be honest here, Vista could use some love and new ideas.

Also, as much as I'd love to see light rail in Boise, there simply isn't enough density to make it feasible, especially along Vista as it currently exists as a suburban neighborhood.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 7:03 PM

In other Vista news, Betty is still here!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/news/l...e54883445.html

Betty, Boise’s iconic Vista washerwoman, is back on the job

Old Posted Mar 22, 2016, 7:22 PM
All man. Half nuts.

personally, i think vista avenue should be widened and then double-decked with cars on the bottom and busses and light rail on the top and all businesses on either size razed and redeveloped into high-rise public storage facilities to accentuate how we boiseans are so well off we can't keep all our stuff at our house so we rent empty concrete rooms to hold our excess property.

oh, and i'd ban bikes on vista. and then maybe add some nice shrubbery with the back shrubby slightly higher for a nice two layered effect and with a little path running down the middle.

THAT would be cool.

or... keep as is and just add some decent landscaping all along the way to hide the stripmalliness.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2016, 9:26 PM

More info about the Inn at 500

http://www.cshqa.com/projects/inn-at-500/

Quote:
The exterior façade is a marriage of traditional and modern materials to provide a structure that respects the historic nature of the adjacent community while providing a modern feel. A grand metal and translucent porte-cochere will identify the main entry. Stacked sandstone, stone tile, and brick veneer will cover the street and second levels.

Warm colors, rich materials, balconies, and window seats will work together to provide modulation to the building while providing a welcoming presence with a hint of European charm. A distinctive roofline of patinated-copper panels will accent the timeless architecture of the facade. Fabric awnings at the ground level will provide shade and weather protection.

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 12:27 AM
Closed account

Bike lanes

Drove the full length of Vista which has a couple blocks of residential, and the rest is businesses with off street parking. What could be done is restriping the street getting rid of the turn lane except at major intersections. This would save a lot of money, and bike lanes would be able to be safe.
Here are a few ideas:

http://www.pedbikeinfo.org/planning/..._bikelanes.cfm

Old Posted Mar 24, 2016, 1:36 AM
♏SeanTheBoiSean

After shooting this photo on Sunday morning, I got to thinking it would be so nice if the owners exposed and renovated the original facades of the buildings that West Elm is filling and the building Lunch Box occupies.

the same for Chico's and Walla Walla Clothing Co.
there's the Lunch Box lady

Last edited by Sawtooth; Mar 24, 2016 at 4:06 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West