HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Apr 23, 2020, 9:50 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownWonder View Post
Lmao true, I definitely get LA vibes with this.

Just looked at the architects website and I'm a little disappointed the developer didn't go with the metallic midnight blue facade they picture in the first rendering. not a huge deal at all but would have made this building pretty special.
https://www.filoramotalsma.com/proje...fice-building/
I wonder if those were intended to be solar shingles? That technology really isn't ready for prime time...

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 4:39 PM

I just signed up for the Michael Reese webinar on May 4th. Looking at the site map , I noticed something called "Lake Meadows Redevelopment Plan" just to the south. What is that? Google brought up an SCB website: https://www.scb.com/project/lake-mea...elopment-plan/

Is this just a random pie in the sky thing or does it actually have legs?

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handro View Post
I noticed something called "Lake Meadows Redevelopment Plan" just to the south. What is that? Google brought up an SCB website: https://www.scb.com/project/lake-mea...elopment-plan/

Is this just a random pie in the sky thing or does it actually have legs?
I've heard of this plan but nothing has come up in years

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 5:18 PM
Show me the blueprints

I think it is "serious" in the way South Works was "serious".

Lofty ambition with very little market demand to actual make it happen. Someday... probably another 20+ years in all honesty. One side benefit though is when it does it will likely have much better architecture than the schlock loosely depicted.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 10:20 PM
TL;DR

Not sure it's been mentioned on here, but John Ronan was tapped to design the Park District's new headquarters and parkland at 48th/Western, right next to the Western Ave Orange Line stop. They just filed the PD this week.

Ronan wisely flipped the site plan from earlier sketches, and put the HQ building close to Western with the entrance oriented towards the Orange Line stop, and the parkland further west on the neighborhood side.

The building looks pretty cool... actually two interlocking buildings, the headquarters and a fieldhouse, that together form a circle. The material palette would be pretty nice, bronze glass behind expanded metal screens that give a scalloped appearance, and Chicago common brick feature walls at the entrances.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 1:57 PM
THAT Guy

^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DtSnn7C0Ig

It's kinda like a mini version of their Obama library proposal.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 2:23 PM

^ yeah, sort of like of the Obama proposal and SOM's Chinatown library had a child.

For those, like me, who can't interpret what the site plans mean. That video has some renderings:

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 2:32 PM
TL;DR

^ Awesome! The PD had no renderings so I had to use my imagination...

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 4:51 PM

Some bad news for those who thought that one gas station at Lawrence and Ashland would become something bigger. Issued 2 days ago:

"SITE DEVELOPMENT FOR 7-ELEVEN CONVENIENCE STORE AND GASOLINE FILLING STATION TO INCLUDE THE CONSTRUCTION OF A 3000 SF BUILDING SHELL AND TRASH ENCLOSURE (PROPOSED USE: F-MERCANTILE). PROPOSED SITE WILL HAVE WORK PERFORMED UNDER SEP. PERMITS. FUELING CANOPY AND TENANT IMPROVEMENT PLANS SHALL BE FILED UNDER SEPARATE PERMIT APPLICATION."

Sounds like they're just building a better gas station.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post

Lofty ambition with very little market demand to actual make it happen. Someday... probably another 20+ years in all honesty. One side benefit though is when it does it will likely have much better architecture than the schlock loosely depicted.
Actually it's quite serious. Draper and Kramer who just dumped their Prairie Shores buildings for $180 million. That's an awfully big slug of cash and a little birdie told me that it's earmarked for jump starting a large multi phase project on land D+K already owns...

Reddit.com/r/REbubble

Old Posted Apr 25, 2020, 10:42 PM
Show me the blueprints

^Well I'd love to have my instincts be proven wrong. I would still be surprised if anything large scale gets underway for another 10 years though. Not trying to be dreary.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 6:58 PM

Navy Pier

Old Posted Apr 26, 2020, 7:12 PM

Nice pic, almost looks like those old H bomb test in the pacific. 8)

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:22 AM

306 w Erie

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 4:37 AM

Quote:
^Well I'd love to have my instincts be proven wrong. I would still be surprised if anything large scale gets underway for another 10 years though. Not trying to be dreary.
Rest assured, your instincts will be proven wrong. Where do you get 10 years from anyhow?

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:

very little market demand to live on the south lakefront? you haven't been paying attention.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:34 PM
Show me the blueprints

Specifically to mega re-developments on the south lakefront... Are we seriously finding it laughable that this could take another 10 years for a shovel to hit the ground? This is the same south lakefront that South Works couldn't make numerous iterations actually happen. I wish it wasn't the case, I'm not a gloom cheerleader, I would just be surprised if it came sooner based on precedent. I hope I'm wrong but I don't find my prediction at all outrageous.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 1:36 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
Originally Posted by west-town-brad View Post
very little market demand to live on the south lakefront? you haven't been paying attention.
I'm clearly not talking about a few sporadic Hyde Park condo buildings. I'm talking about the demand for a multi-thousand unit ground up redevelopment. Please don't put words in me mouth.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:01 PM
TL;DR

I think the South Lakefront has everything going for it - the lakefront itself, obviously, a truly world-class and large university, museums, parks, etc. The wrinkles about lakefront access have been worked out with the 2, soon to be 3 new pedestrian bridges.

The only remaining structural issue is transportation - the express buses are fine for Kenwood/Hyde Park but don't work for anyone north of 47th, so you need to take the local Cottage Grove/MLK buses. Metra Electric could help here, but any of the realistic plans we've seen don't restore the stations north of 47th. I'd like to see Cottage Grove restored through Lake Meadows and the bus route rerouted onto LSD at 31st, or rerouted onto the McCormick busway at 25th.

Given the existing strengths though, it's surprising the South Lakefront hasn't grown more. I guess it is growing, but it is not growing into a critical mass of carless residents like the North Lakefront, and new growth seems to be in the form of townhouses mainly, with residents who don't necessarily work downtown and thus drive.

Old Posted Apr 27, 2020, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
I think the South Lakefront has everything going for it - the lakefront itself, obviously, a truly world-class and large university, museums, parks, etc. The wrinkles about lakefront access have been worked out with the 2, soon to be 3 new pedestrian bridges.

The only remaining structural issue is transportation - the express buses are fine for Kenwood/Hyde Park but don't work for anyone north of 47th, so you need to take the local Cottage Grove/MLK buses. Metra Electric could help here, but any of the realistic plans we've seen don't restore the stations north of 47th. I'd like to see Cottage Grove restored through Lake Meadows and the bus route rerouted onto LSD at 31st, or rerouted onto the McCormick busway at 25th.

Given the existing strengths though, it's surprising the South Lakefront hasn't grown more. I guess it is growing, but it is not growing into a critical mass of carless residents like the North Lakefront, and new growth seems to be in the form of townhouses mainly, with residents who don't necessarily work downtown and thus drive.
Hmm, I wonder what could be different between the North and the South Side.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development